Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Memorial Day

Stuck on the Border Henley Honey's Avatar

Default Memorial Day

Just taking a moment to say Thank You to all the men and women who have given the ultimate sacrifice in service to our Country. Let's not take for granted the liberty and freedom that we all enjoy thanks to their dedication and selflessness.

Default Re: Memorial Day

Our memorial day (in New Zealand) is in April, so I'll take today to think of and be grateful for all the men and women from all over the world who have helped other countries after natural disasters (plus the human-made kind). They have shown the best that humanity can be - willing to help others even if it puts their own lives at risk.
    ---------------------------------
    Suzanne

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Thank you

to all the Vets all over the world that try to maintain peace.

And to those that made the ultimate sacrifice.

https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

I didn't have much of a chance to celebrate Memorial Day but I thought of all those who have sacrificed and I too am very grateful.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

On the weekend of Memorial Day, I was at work and a very elderly man (in his 80s) came in to eat, completely dressed out in his Marines uniform, complete with medals etc. One of the other customers who was sitting across the restaurant called me over to the side and asked me to bring the Marine vets' bill to him, as he wanted to buy him and his wife's dinner as a small token of appreciation for the years of service this man gave. This had us all in tears but was very heartwarming and renewed my faith that there ARE some good people left in the world.

Then, just this past Saturday night, I was waiting on a party of 16 and one of the older men wanted me to bring him the young man's bill, because he had just returned from Afghanistan and was injured while serving our country.

And lastly, I haven't really discussed it in here before but my father was a Vietnam vet. I have nothing but awful memories of my father who wasn't much of a father at all, but I blame his years on the front lines of Vietnam for really messing him up. When he finally was discharged and living at home for good, it was horrible. All the stories you hear of vets having flashbacks are true and it's a terrifying thing to witness. He also had become a full fledged alcoholic and that in itself was terrible. And he died from complications due to Agent Orange. And this might not be the right place to post this, but I think it shows you under appreciated our vets become after serving, and how very little help is offered. My brother and I received a grand total of $250 from the US government towards my father's funeral. The local VA chapter took up a small collection (that I am sure they could barely afford themselves) and gave us a couple hundred more. Needless to say, he didn't have insurance and even though he made some bad choices on his own, I can't even imagine the things he had to deal with mentally... I recall his stories of friends being blown to pieces, sitting right beside him. And it gets worse from there. Anyways, I'm rambling, and I'm sorry. But clearly, enough is not done to help those who serve and obviously not enough is done for those who have suffered mentally and physically in SENSELESS wars and for the families that were affected by all of this.

My mind is Tiffany twisted

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

Lizzy, I am very sorry to hear how your father's experiences in Vietnam had such a profound effect on your family and on the lives of you and your brother. It is true that so many families suffer alone the aftermath of Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome, as the result of a loved one having served in a conflict zone. I'm sure there were and are many people out there that would have totally different personalities had they not fought.

I know there are programmes and courses out now to help these people but I guess they weren't early enough to help your Dad.

I wouldn't dare to comment on what the US Government does to support veterans and their families, but I will say that is a lovely expression of appreciation that they are treated so well by the 'ordinary citizens' in the examples that you have given, and I'm sure these are echoed all across your country on Memorial Day.

Over here, Ireland having been neutral though the various World Conflicts (and don't get me started on that!) we do not tend to have a Memorial Day as you guys in the States do, but we do acknowledge the sacrifices our soldiers and countrymen have made through their participation in the British Army on November 11th, Armistice Day.
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

Wow, Liz, I know this probably sounds rather feeble, but I'm so sorry your family had to go through all that.

I didn't intend to say that I mean the government should give money or whatever... sometimes I just type and stuff spills out... anyways, I don't believe they do enough to help ANY vets now or then, but probably is more now. When I write these things, I don't mean to sound dramatic... I almost view it as 'normal' because that's all I've known. Obviously, it's not normal.. I just really feel for the kids going to war now. My father enlisted at age 18 and off he went . That was in '57. I was born in '63 and I was about 7 when he finally came home to live. He was pretty messed up and that's really all that I remember about him. As an adult, I can look back on it all and wonder how he even managed to cope with fighting on the front lines, much less coming home to a family to raise. Just like the kids today.. they are just babies and are expected to do so much and then receive so little in return for their efforts on our country's behalf.

My mind is Tiffany twisted

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Liz, I'm so sorry for what your Dad and your family went through. I can only hope and pray that, somehow, someway, all vets get all the help they need and deserve for their sacrifices. Yes, they deserve it!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Reviving this thread to once again thank our troops and those who have served past and present, including my grandfather.