Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Keswick Theatre Philadelphia May 31, 2012

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

Default Keswick Theatre Philadelphia May 31, 2012

A review by the same DJ that interviewed him a few weeks ago.

http://www.wmgk.com/shows/kathy-wagn...tryID=10389520
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

Default Re: Keswick Theatre Philadelphia May 31, 2012

Quote Originally Posted by VAisForEagleLovers View Post

Yeah she's definitely a Timothy lover...great review!!

That was a wonderful review. I think those if us that have seen the show had similar feelings about the whole thing. Timothy's voice is stellar & his band was perfection as well.

Terrific review. My friend Brian said the show was absolutely fantastic but he was only able to get one photo and it's out of focus .
    You were just too busy being FABULOUS....

Victim of Love

Border Desperado

Timothy B. Schmit

May 31, 2012

The Keswick Theater

Glenside, PA

This concert sort of completes a cycle for me. Seeing Timothy in concert meant that I have now seen the Eagles in concert both as a group, and each member in their solo performances. Timothy B. Schmit had an opening act, a duo called Goldspot.

Goldspot

Goldspot is a duo featuring front man Siddhartha Khosla and James Gabbie. After they performed I was fortunate enough to catch up with James Gabbie for a brief interview.

Siddhartha Khosla, whom James referred to as Sid was the duo’s front man. He did all the singing and played a two different acoustic guitars and a Greek stringed instrument known as a Bazuki. James related that the songs are strongly influenced by a combination of Old Bollywood mixed with the Beatles and the Beach Boys. James played an instrument known as an electronic autoharp which was played in a fashion similar to an accordion as the performer had to keep pressure on a bellows to get the instrument to produce sound. The combination of the two instrument s presented the listener with a very unique, inventive sound. Sid’s English is flawless as he grew up in the U.S. The songs are influenced by his life’s experiences growing up.

Their performance started with Sid on stage solo playing a cutaway acoustic guitar. He told the audience how much he enjoyed Timothy B. Schmit’s music, how he influenced him and what an honor it was for Goldspot to be opening for him. His first selection was a song called “Rewind”. Upon conclusion of the song James came out and joined Sid on stage. James played the electronic autoharp for the rest of the performance. Their next selection was a song called “Grocery Store”. Between the songs Sid would relate how each of the songs were drawn from his life’s experiences. All off their songs were easy to listen to and very audible and were very intellectual in their structure. Two of the six songs they performed were very appealing to me; one entitled “Hudson Overflows”, the other “Evergreen Cassette”.

“Evergreen Cassette” is the story of an Indian boy growing up in the U.S. separated from his parents who are in India. Sid tells at the time how it cost something like a million dollars to make an international call so he communicated with his parents by means of mailed cassette tapes. As opening acts go they were surprisingly entertaining and easy to listen to.

Goldspot’s set list:

1. Rewind
    2. Grocery Store
    3. Tale of a Fish
    4. Hudson Overflows
    5. The Abyss
    6. Evergreen Cassette

The players:

Siddhartha Khosla – vocals, guitars, bazuki
    James Gabbie – electronic autoharp

Goldspot was very entertaining and easy to listen to. It doesn’t surprise me that TBS would find a quality act like Goldspot to open for him.

Goldspot’s web site: http://www.goldspot.net

Timothy B. Schmit

Anyone who has seen an Eagles concert usually will characterize Timothy as quiet and serious. But when one catches Tim’s solo act a different picture emerges. TBS has one heck of a sense of humor and is very at ease on stage in front of his audience. The bulk of the concert featured music from Tim’s solo CD, “Expando”. He took the stage at 8:30 and strapped on an acoustic guitar. His first song was “One More Mile”, from expand. It featured performance on the bass, ukulele, drums and a steel guitar.

His next song was “Friday Night”, a catchy tune also featured on the Expando album. Timothy noticed the audience was a little on the small side as the theater was a little bit better than half filled, but he observed that they would press on in spite of it, commenting that the people in attendance were a “small but mighty group”. He further commented that he expected more people on a Friday night, thought about it for a minute then said, “No, wait, it’s Thursday night, I don’t even know what day it is, how cosmic is that?”

As they performed the song I noticed that the bassist during parts of the song had moved to a keyboard and played different parts on two instruments. It would not be much of a stretch to imagine the Eagles performing this song as the observation was made on Farewell I that each of the solo songs could be Eagles songs. This concept really shines through in this song.

Timothy’s next selection was “Feed the Fire” from the album that bears the same name. For this performance TBS donned his signature Fender bass. When he concluded the song he told the story of how he became one of the Eagles. Tim related that he was neighbors with one JD Souther. JD had hinted to TBS, that a man whom TBS characterized as his now good friend, Glenn Frey, would call him. When he called he asked Timothy if he would be interested in joining the Eagles. Tim said he didn’t even give it two seconds thought before he blurted out his answer, “YES”.

Tim continued, “I mean the Eagles, how big is that?”

And with that story being told he began to perform “I Can’t Tell You Why” playing the bass just like he does with the Eagles. Upon concluding his performance he bowed to the applauding crowd the same way he did in the Farewell I DVD in what is apparently his signature move.

At the conclusion he exchanged the bass for an acoustic guitar and almost plugged the wrong cord into it. He was anxious to tell his audience that his wife comes from the Philadelphia area, the Main Line. He pointed out that he visits a lot and his niece and nephew were a part of the audience, which received a loud round of applause. He stoked the audience even more when he told them how nice he thought Glenside was, reminding him of a modern day Mayberry.

His next song was “Compassion” also from the Expando album. Then the show got interesting.

TBS stepped up to the microphone and said the next song was the story of his life in 4 minutes. He was joined on stage by three African American female backup singers and proceeded to perform “White Boy from Sacramento” a song also featured on the Expando album. The singers would repeat the chorus by dancing and making a choreographed pointing gesture at TBS and singing “He’s a White Boy From Sacramento”. The way they did it was comical and got the crowd laughing. Upon the song’s conclusion someone in the audience shouted out,” Keep rockin’ white boy.”

TBS replied,”O God, look what I have started.” This drew a howl of laughter and another round of applause.

Next, Timothy announced, "It’s time to go into Poco mode. Hmmm, that sounds like a dessert…Poco mode."

TBS and the band began to perform the Poco song “Keep on Trying”, followed by another Poco song, “What Am I Going to Do”.

At this point Timothy introduced his band members and his backup singers, noting that the backup singers had also worked with Elton John, Phil Collins and TBS. When Timothy introduced the guitar player, Hank Linderman, who had very long hair, Tim referred to it as “Hank had his freak flag flying.”

The next song performed by the group was “Parachute” also from the Expando album. Tim was accompanied by the background singers, bass guitar, keyboards, drums and one guitar.

And then Timothy solved a riddle. When the stage was set up, one could not help but notice there was a tuba on a stand. At this point Tim announce, “I think it’s tuba time.” After which the Timothy and the band struck up a performance of “I Don’t Mind”, Timothy accompanied by the tuba, drums, bass guitar, background singers and lead guitar.

Upon finishing, Timothy put on a harmonica mounted on a neck brace and told the story of how during a period when he was separated from his wife by their work, Tim’s in music and hers in her artistic endeavors, Tim wrote her a love song. He then proceeded to perform, “Ella Jean” .

Timothy’s next two selections were “Down Time” and” Secular Praises”, both from the Expando Album. Upon conclusion of Secular Praises, Timothy and band left the stage briefly, returning to a loud round of applause for the encore.

Timothy announced the next song was from “The Long Road Out of Eden” album and began to perform “I Don’t Want to Hear Anymore”.

Timothy finished the concert by performing “Love Will Keep Us Alive” accompanied by one guitar. Every one assembled on stage for one final bow and then left the stage.

At the conclusion of the show I approached the stage and asked one of the stage hands if I could get a set list. He informed me they could not give them out as they were going to be reused for the next show. But he said, “What I can give you is this.” He reached on the small table that was there and gave me the guitar pick that Timothy had used during the show and gave it to me. I promptly turned it over to Tiffanny Twisted, who was thrilled to get it.

I learned a couple of things from this show. Expando is a great album. The songs are of the quality that would be performed by the Eagles and Timothy B. Schmit has a great stage presence and one heck of a sense of humor, and he reuses his set lists! Expando is a great album (I've listened to it several times already) and this was a great show.

The set list

One More Mile (Expando)
    Friday Night (Expando)
    Feed the Fire (Feed the Fire)
    I Can’t Tell You Why (Eagles)
    Compassion (Expando)
    White Boy from Sacramento (Expando)
    Keep on Trying (Poco)
    What AM I Going To Do (Poco)
    Parachute (Expando)
    I Don’t Mind (Expando)
    Ella Jean (Expando)
    Down Time (Expando)
    Secular Praise (Expando)

Encore

I Don’t Want to Hear Any More (Eagles)
    Love Will Keep Us Alive (Eagles)

The Players:

Timothy B. Schmit – guitar, bass bassharmonica,vocals
    www.timothybschmit.com/

Chris Farmer – bass, keyboards, tuba www.chrisfarmermusic.com/

Bobby Carlos – bass (Tim introduced him as his guitar tech when he travels with the Eagles. He’s the one who gave me Tim’s guitar pick, and some info about the show)

Herman Matthews –drums www.hermanmatthews.com

Hank Linderman – guitar, ukelele http://hanklinderman.com/

The singers:

Marlena Jeter

Lynn Fiddmont www.lynnefiddmont.com

Mortonette Jenkins

I have included the performer's web sites where I could find them

I have a few pictures from both Glenn Frey and This show which I will add to the reviews in the near future.

Thank you so much for this detailed review!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

JAHH...you really rock! Thanks for the review!
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

Stuck on the Border Tiffanny Twisted's Avatar

Red face Re: Keswick Theatre Philadelphia May 31, 2012

thanks for the post. I missed this interview and review and I was at the concert w JAHH.

It was a great show . It's sad that only the house was half full but what a rocking' show. I even got a expando pick. Yeah.

Thanks for the info,
    Tiffanny Twisted
    Quote Originally Posted by VAisForEagleLovers View Post

Congrats on the pick!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tiffanny Twisted View Post
    It was a great show . It's sad that only the house was half full but what a rocking' show.
    That is a shame!!! Sure wish others would realize what kind of a great talent he is!
    He sings it high, he plays it low