Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Celebration of "Love Me Or Leave Me Alone"

Default Re: Celebration of "Love Me Or Leave Me Alone"

Quote Originally Posted by Funk 50 View Post
    I actually bought this album twice. I bought a Japanese release, very nicely packaged but mainly because it had extra tracks (total 14) then a few months later it was re-released with even more tracks (17).

The 17 track version has got the track timings all over the place. Some tracks end very abruptly (no fade out), Midnight Rain has 40 seconds of silence after it finishes.

I hope this isn't Randy's last album. Sadly, his post Eagles career has been a procession of failed projects.
    These releases and re-releases are kind of confusing. According to Discogs, the Rev-Ola music label released a 15-track version which does not include "Midnight Rain" or "When the Dam Breaks." The Sonic Past music label, owned by Randy's friend Joey Stec, released a 17-track version that includes MR and WTDB. These releases occurred in 2004 and 2003 respectively. It was my understanding there are no timing issues/glitches with the Rev-Ola album (I haven't heard it myself). I'm guessing any Japanese releases may have re-mastered the sound but not messed with the original timing. Could it have to do with fitting 17 songs on an LP?

I wouldn't consider all of Randy's solo projects as "failed." Both his solo albums in the 80s charted on the Top 200 and made it to the top 100. He had top 40 hits from both of those albums. He was popular enough to have toured in Japan. Various artists from major acts like KISS, The Rolling Stones, The Who etc. not to mention more current bands had less commercial success when they went solo. Of course in my view he should made it much bigger given his talent. It's a shame he didn't do any music videos to give him critical exposure.

Right or wrong, what’s done is done
    It’s only moments that you borrow...

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

Thank you, D. I didn't realize until just now that Rev-Ola is a UK company, based in Glasgow. They also issued a Drivin' Dynamics compilation. Someone there must be a Randy fan

In the early days of MTV (1982-83 in my neck o' the woods), they often played a video for "Hearts on Fire." Don't trust my memory, but I think it was slightly different than the filmed performance available on YouTube today. I seem to remember a blonde model-type woman and guys (including Randy?) sitting at a bar. But it was primarily a performance video.

Speculation: the "video" with Kim Carnes was apparently what was shown for Randy's appearance on the Midnight Special tv show in December 1980. The "video" for HOF is so similar (and features a live vocal, which of course is very unusual for a music video) that I wonder if it could have been the other performance for that show.

Now I've rambled on and gone way off topic. Sorry!

Interesting info, guys. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NightMistBlue View Post
    In the early days of MTV (1982-83 in my neck o' the woods), they often played a video for "Hearts on Fire." Don't trust my memory, but I think it was slightly different than the filmed performance available on YouTube today. I seem to remember a blonde model-type woman and guys (including Randy?) sitting at a bar. But it was primarily a performance video.

Speculation: the "video" with Kim Carnes was apparently what was shown for Randy's appearance on the Midnight Special tv show in December 1980. The "video" for HOF is so similar (and features a live vocal, which of course is very unusual for a music video) that I wonder if it could have been the other performance for that show.

Now I've rambled on and gone way off topic. Sorry!
    I've wondered if the HOF video was ever shown on MTV; I myself don't remember it. Wouldn't it have been past its prime by 1982? I think that sometimes MTV showed "older" videos to fill its schedule (in the early days).

I really think Randy would have benefitted from a non-stage performance video(s) for his 3rd solo album. I wonder why it didn't happen--shyness, lack of $ from his record company? Ok now I'm rambling,

HOF was several years past its release date by then, yes. But MTV definitely played it because I remember it. They also played even older songs by Madness, Split Enz and The Police.

Yes, I wonder why there wasn't (that we know of, anyway) a video for the 1982 album. He had a top 40 single. Maybe Epic just wasn't supportive? They dropped him in 1983 or '84.

O Randy, son of Scottsbluff, we need you to write a book! Please! If you don't tell your own story, it will forever go untold...

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Delilah View Post
    I'm guessing any Japanese releases may have re-mastered the sound but not messed with the original timing. Could it have to do with fitting 17 songs on an LP?
    As I stated, the last 40 seconds of Midnight Rain (track 5) is silence. I can't think of any reasonable justification for that. Joey Stec is named as Executive producer on both versions I have. A Japanese 2003 version (14 tracks) and the 2004 digital remaster (17 tracks).

Quote Originally Posted by Delilah View Post
    I wouldn't consider all of Randy's solo projects as "failed."
    I'm not talking success as in sales and chart positions. I label Randy's post Eagles projects as failures as none of them lasted very long or produced much music. In retrospect, they all lacked promise and were ultimately disappointing. (not enough Randy!)

I've read lots of articles and comments, that blame Glenn Frey for Randy's exit from Eagles. I believe it was Glenn's outstanding leadership that allowed Randy to thrive within the Eagles. I get the impression that, the musicians that Randy formed bands with, after leaving the Eagles, tended to use Randy's ability and acclaim to further their own ends rather than creating an environment for Randy's wonderful talents to shine. Just my biased opinion

Ok, fair enough. I suppose everyone has his own idea of what constitutes "success" and "failure" and maybe something in between. I do wish there had been more output from Randy as well as properly produced material released at the right time. Still, it's very nice to have this album at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Funk 50 View Post
    I actually bought this album twice. I bought a Japanese release, very nicely packaged but mainly because it had extra tracks (total 14) then a few months later it was re-released with even more tracks (17).

The 17 track version has got the track timings all over the place. Some tracks end very abruptly (no fade out), Midnight Rain has 40 seconds of silence after it finishes.

I like, One Less Fool too, NightMistBlue. A bit too unpolished to be released really but definitely a potential hit. If you PM me, I could send you an mp3 of the full (3:40min) track.

Times are for; 17t / 14t
    01 Long Time Blue 349 / 347
    02 In A Minute 424 / 424
    03 Don't Keep It Inside 452 / 451
    04 Love Me Or Leave Me Alone 258 / 258
    05 Midnight Rain 506 (last 40 sec is silence) / NA
    06 My How Things Have Changed 400 / 401
    07 Walk Of Life 249 / 246
    08 Trust Your Heart 330 / 325
    09 Leaving on Tuesday 506 / 508
    10 Salt In My Tears 326 / NA
    11 All Alone In Paradise 409 / 421
    12 Ain't Gonna Take It 409 / 411
    13 Lonely Alone 355 / 357
    14 Take It Easy 339 / 337
    15 One Less Fool 327 / 340
    16 Take It to The Limit (L) 438 / 436
    17 When The Damn Breaks 356 / NA

I haven't any recording dates but I have got some track players. I must admit, I haven't heard of most of these;

Tracks 1 to 4 + 15:
    d - M Derosier
    b - G Shelton
    k - B Lizotte, G Reeves
    g - J Morton, R Fisher
    s - G Reeves (15)

Track 6:
    d - J Molo
    b - R Meisner
    g - B Swan
    sg - V Monnett
    v - Meisner, Swan, C Rich Jnr

Tracks 7-9 + 11-13 + 16:
    d - R Wikso
    b - R Meisner (I presume)
    k - S Stewart
    g - K Griffey
    ag - M St Nicholas
    bv - Rosalee + All

(
    Mr. Funk, is this info about the musicians in the liner notes to the Japanese CD? In the first group listed, I recognize Brooke Lizotte and two former members of Heart, Michael Desrosier and Roger Fisher, who worked on Randy's self-titled 1982 album. The second group is from Meisner, Swan & Rich and the latter is World Classic Rockers personnel.

These album credits are tricky. I'm pretty sure I hear Richard Marx singing a background vocal on "When the Dam Breaks"; there's a female vocal as well and I don't think it's Rosalee. But there aren't any credits for the song. I thought "Lonely Alone" (#13) was just piano and vocal so I'm not sure where all the WCR people fit in. I also wondered if it's Marx singing background vocal on "All Alone in Paradise" but I could be way off. Overall the production and liner notes for this album seemed like they were done in a hurry or something.

Honestly, I thought the only song WCR contributed to was "Take It Easy" (#14) but the credits aren't even showing them! (and "Take It to the Limit" sounds like it's from an earlier Randy live show)
    Last edited by Delilah; 06-29-2017 at 02:14 PM.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by NightMistBlue View Post
    Mr. Funk, is this info about the musicians in the liner notes to the Japanese CD? In the first group listed, I recognize Brooke Lizotte and two former members of Heart, Michael Desrosier and Roger Fisher, who worked on Randy's self-titled 1982 album. The second group is from Meisner, Swan & Rich and the latter is World Classic Rockers personnel.
    I probably found those album credits on-line and copied and pasted.... without crosschecking their accuracy.

The Japanese sleeve has the following info:

01 Long Time Blue
    Produced by Randy Meisner / Bruce Gaitsch

02 In A Minute
    Produced by Art Ford

03 Don't Keep It Inside
    Produced by Randy Meisner / Bruce Gaitsch

04 Love Me Or Leave Me Alone
    Produced by Art Ford
    d - M Derosier
    b - G Shelton
    k - B Lizotte, G Reeves
    g - J Morton, R Fisher

05 My How Things Have Changed
    Produced by Meisner, Swan & Rich
    Exec Producer Joey Stec
    d - J Molo
    b - R Meisner
    g - B Swan
    sg - V Monnett
    v - Meisner, Swan, C Rich Jnr

06 Walk Of Life
    Produced by Reggie Fischer

07 Trust Your Heart
    Produced by Randy Meisner / Joey Stec

08 Leaving on Tuesday

09 All Alone In Paradise
    Produced by Steve Diamond / Randy Meisner

10 Ain't Gonna Take It

11 Lonely Alone

12 Take It Easy
    Produced by Ron Wilkso & Michael Monarch
    d - R Wikso
    k - S Stewart
    g - K Griffey
    ag - M St Nicholas
    bv - Rosalee + All
    (Randy isn't credited)

15 One Less Fool
    Produced by Art Ford
    d - M Derosier
    b - G Shelton
    k - B Lizotte, G Reeves
    g - J Morton, R Fisher
    sax - G Reeves

16 Take It to The Limit (L)
    d - R Wikso
    k - S Stewart
    g - K Griffey
    ag - M St Nicholas
    bv - Rosalee + All
    (Randy isn't credited)

Additional Musicians on the CD include;
    Steve Pocaro, Alan Rich, Billy Swan, James Griffin, Randy Meisner (Bass), Spencer Davis, Rosilee, Nick St Nicholas, Steve Stewart, Michael Monarch.

Randy's Love Me Or Leave Me Alone CD is obviously cobbled together from several sources, over a considerable length of time but I don't think there is anything from the Poco / Richard Marx era.

There are no credits for Lonely Alone but it's on YouTube as a duet with Brooke Lizotte, posted by Brooke himself by the looks of it.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKPEtKkIG-A

"Lonely Alone" sung by Randy Meisner
    Writer: Glen Allen
    Piano: Brooke Lizotte'
    Album: Love Me or Leave Me Alone