Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: The I Can't Tell You Why solo

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: The I Can't Tell You Why solo

Quote Originally Posted by GlennLover View Post
    Yes. It bothers me that Glenn doesn't get credit where credit is due, especially when it comes to guitar playing. To my knowledge, Glenn only played the solo once in public. It was at a benefit with Timothy & Don H before the Eagles got back together. I would have to check for the details as my memory isn't that good. Maybe someone else remembers, but it seems to me that it was in Aspen & possibly at a Walden Woods benefit. There is a picture of this too.
    OMG, he's played it in public? I'd love to see/hear THAT!

Stuck on the Border

And one more thing about the solo I may have said before....
    The first solo especially sounds like it came straight from Glenn's soul, it's beauty really resonates with me everytime I hear it. Glenn didn't have to give the solo to Don in the ICTYW video, because in videos you obviously can switch instruments. Glenn could have mimed it and showed that it's his solo. Instead he let go of the solo and gave it to Don even in the video. So no matter what people say, Glenn can't be all about ego! I would never give a solo like that away; maybe live, but in a video I would show the world that it's mine. Maybe I'm too egoistical.
    On the other hand, Don Felder has told the world many times how he came up with the One Of These Nights bassline. But I believe most of us will agree that there's middle ground there - Glenn isn't as big a son of a b**** that many people say he is, and Don Felder isn't as humble and innocent as many people think he is. Anyway, I love them both, but I love Glenn more.

Quote Originally Posted by chaim View Post
    OMG, he's played it in public? I'd love to see/hear THAT!
    Here it is - just audio, not video. Sorry the quality is so poor, but I figure it's better than nothing. Glenn changes it up a smidge:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xrc...90-0001_people

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    Here it is - just audio, not video. Sorry the quality is so poor, but I figure it's better than nothing. Glenn changes it up a smidge:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xrc...90-0001_people
    Hey, that's great! Thanks! I was wondering if that's really Glenn on guitar (and not keyboards), but the audience reactions suggest that there's someone special on guitar.
    It's obvious that Glenn hasn't played the solo in years, but it's still a great solo.

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

Maybe for the 'documentary' tour next year, Glenn will play it?!
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by VAisForEagleLovers View Post
    Maybe for the 'documentary' tour next year, Glenn will play it?!
    I don't think Glenn would want to open up that can of worms. There is no need to do so. I don't know what this documentary will focus on but I don't think who played the solo on ICTYW is all that important in the broader scheme of things. I imagine that he will also continue to let Steuart play the solo given that it is now the only song on which he plays keyboards live with the Eagles (on his solo tour he didn't play keyboards at all).

THANK YOU!!! THANK YOU, Soda!!! I didn't know that an audio of that performance existed!!! I'm sooo happy to get it!

BTW, that is the picture that I was referring to in my previous post. Now I don't have to go looking for it.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by chaim View Post
    And one more thing about the solo I may have said before....
    The first solo especially sounds like it came straight from Glenn's soul, it's beauty really resonates with me everytime I hear it. Glenn didn't have to give the solo to Don in the ICTYW video, because in videos you obviously can switch instruments. Glenn could have mimed it and showed that it's his solo. Instead he let go of the solo and gave it to Don even in the video. So no matter what people say, Glenn can't be all about ego! I would never give a solo like that away; maybe live, but in a video I would show the world that it's mine. Maybe I'm too egoistical.
    On the other hand, Don Felder has told the world many times how he came up with the One Of These Nights bassline. But I believe most of us will agree that there's middle ground there - Glenn isn't as big a son of a b**** that many people say he is, and Don Felder isn't as humble and innocent as many people think he is. Anyway, I love them both, but I love Glenn more.
    Agreed.

Felder isn't even in the band anymore &still he lets Steuart Smith play the solo rather than taking the spotlight himself. Big ego indeed!

Quote Originally Posted by GlennLover View Post
    Felder isn't even in the band anymore &still he lets Steuart Smith play the solo rather than taking the spotlight himself. Big ego indeed!
    That's one of the things I've always liked about Glenn. He seems to be a team player. If you're playing ICTYW live, you need a guitar solo, yes, but you also need someone to play the Rhodes. The Rhodes is the less glamorous job, but it's the one Glenn is better at than probably anyone else in the band (not counting hired hands nowadays). As an arranger, Glenn would want the best people playing each position, much like a baseball coach. That team spirit is what makes the band great.

I've often speculated that the reverse might have been one of the primary arguments between Glenn and Felder. Glenn is such a team player that I can see him getting really ticked off at anyone who wasn't.