Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: The I Can't Tell You Why solo

Default Re: The I Can't Tell You Why solo

Exactly, chaim. I don't know why some people seem so very invested in minimizing the role of the man who wrote the solo and played it on the recording. What is achieved by this?

Quote Originally Posted by Topkat now
    You know, I looked back at those statements I made months ago, which you referred to & I still stand by what I originally said. I do like Felder's version of the solo better than Glenn's.
    TK, surely you're not going to try to pretend now that when you argued it was Don's solo because he played it in the video, what you really meant was that he made it his own live and you simply preferred his version to Glenn's? Come on! You were making an argument to take Glenn out of the equation entirely. Here is what you wrote:

Quote Originally Posted by Topkat then
    On all the videos of I Can't Tell You Why, Don Felder is playing the guitar solos, and Glenn is on piano. Not sure why Glenn is credited for the solo on this song.
    I understand your embarrassment at making such a mistake, but we all do that. I know I have. I also know it's far better to admit your mistakes than pretend you never made one.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border

Talking Re: The I Can't Tell You Why solo

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    Exactly, chaim. I don't know why some people seem so very invested in minimizing the role of the man who wrote the solo and played it on the recording. What is achieved by this?

TK, surely you're not going to try to pretend now that when you argued it was Don's solo because he played it in the video, what you really meant was that he made it his own live and you simply preferred his version to Glenn's? Come on! You were making an argument to take Glenn out of the equation entirely. Here is what you wrote:

I understand your embarrassment at making such a mistake, but we all do that. I know I have. I also know it's far better to admit your mistakes than pretend you never made one.
    If he does feel embarrassed, there's indeed no need for that. I make a lot more embarrassing mistakes all the time In fact, a lot of you probably remember that I'm pretty sure that Glenn did all the harmonized lead guitar bits in One Of These Nights. I have asked Don about this via that web site, and I hope he will answer. If Don says that he played them all, I'm gonna feel very embarrassed indeed, after announcing that Glenn played them several times.

EDIT:

Maybe I should make a couple of corrections to a previous post of mine. I don't know if Glenn wrote the "dadadadadaa" guitar riff in ICTYW I mentioned. I just assumed that he did, because he's playing it in the original version, as well as the solos. I'm not sure if he wrote the intro either. I assume that he did, because he once told about the writing process, how Timothy showed the initial idea of the song, and Glenn immediately went to play an electric piano and said to Timothy, "You want something like this, Tim?".
    Last edited by chaim; 06-07-2012 at 04:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post

I guess I have to defend myself here, as you have all put me in that position. I am NOT embarrassed about my statement. I never KNEW that Glenn did the solo because I do not read every SINGLE LINER NOTE on an album. I really DON'T pay attention to who writes or plays EVERY SINGLE WORD, LINE OR GUITAR SOLO. I NEVER SAW GLENN play it or read that he wrote it or that he played it on the original version of ICTYW.

When I saw the video, which was supposedly???? the making of ICTYW, Don was playing the solo, so I assumed that was how it went down. If it was an error, it's just that. An error. I was only making a statement with the information I had at the time. If that's not how it was recorded, why was it labeled as such? I had posted that video in Timothy's thread a while back, and it was on VH1 or some other show.
    Like I said, my statement was from the information I had at that time.
    I cannot believe all the fuss over this. Excuse me for making the statement that was not correct.

This is the video I am referring to. In the description below the video it does say that Glenn played the solo in The Long Run recording, but you can easily see how this mistake is made, going by the visual. I apologize for the error. I can only think if Timothy when it comes to this song, so my concentration was elsewhere!!! I hope you can get that, because Timothy is my guy, so I get distracted when he's doing this song!

http://www.totallyfuzzy.net/ourtube/...e60e7eb7f.html

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Topkat View Post
    I guess I have to defend myself here, as you have all put me in that position. I am NOT embarrassed about my statement. I never KNEW that Glenn did the solo because I do not read every SINGLE LINER NOTE on an album. I really DON'T pay attention to who writes or plays EVERY SINGLE WORD, LINE OR GUITAR SOLO. I NEVER SAW GLENN play it or read that he wrote it or that he played it on the original version of ICTYW.

When I saw the video, which was supposedly???? the making of ICTYW, Don was playing the solo, so I assumed that was how it went down. If it was an error, it's just that. An error. I was only making a statement with the information I had at the time. If that's not how it was recorded, why was it labeled as such? I had posted that video in Timothy's thread a while back, and it was on VH1 or some other show.
    Like I said, my statement was from the information I had at that time.
    I cannot believe all the fuss over this. Excuse me for making the statement that was not correct.
    The ICTYW video was not the 'making' of ICTYW any more than the videos of The Long Run & In The City were videos of the 'making' of those songs. They were not 'labelled' as such in any way, shape or form; it was just that in order for the keyboard part of the song to be in the video, Glenn had to be shown playing keyboards, and he subsequently then had to play keyboards when it was played live, which meant that someone else (Felder) had to be shown playing guitar.

The liner notes of The Long Run read , for ICTYW:

Written by TBS, DH & GF
    Lead vocal by TBS
    Guitar solos by GF

You state that you didn't read every single liner note. OK. I would have thought you might have been interested in the details for this song, given that it is sung by your favourite member.

Out of curiosity I went searching as I was sure that we had had a discussion about this solo some time ago. Here is the link to that Nov 2009 thread. ICTYW is mentioned in posts from #301 to #315. https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/...n+solo&page=31

I found an interesting point made by MikeA. In his post (# 313) he mentioned one possible reason why Glenn left the live ICTYW guitar solos to Don F & Steuart:

If you were in a band and wrote a song with great guitar in it, for the recording would you not choose the BEST in the group on that instrument to play it? And in performances (i.e. Concerts) would you not want the Best in the group to play the song?
    In my post (#311) I mention an interview
    On an interview that Don H & Glenn did for The Long Run when they were discussing ICTYW, Don complimented Glenn's playing by saying "he can play guitar". Glenn, of course, was very modest about it and downplayed his abilities

During this interview Glenn said, half jokingly "they let me play" & Don jokingly answered "Yeah, we let him play". Cute but it's Glenn downplaying his guitar playing abilities again.

Quote Originally Posted by Topkat View Post
    This is the video I am referring to. In the description below the video it does say that Glenn played the solo in The Long Run recording, but you can easily see how this mistake is made, going by the visual. I apologize for the error. I can only think if Timothy when it comes to this song, so my concentration was elsewhere!!! I hope you can get that, because Timothy is my guy, so I get distracted when he's doing this song!

http://www.totallyfuzzy.net/ourtube/...e60e7eb7f.html
    I can understand how Timothy might distract you - he is magnificent on this song. The video may be a bit misleading, but I'm still glad we have it - such eye candy!

Stuck on the Border

My apologies, Topkat. But you must understand that internet forums are full of stuff that the artists themselves couldn't care less about. And whatever is being discussed, there's always someone who thinks it isn't worth discussing. I felt that I had a point when I posted that answer from Don. Some agreed with me, some feel that it's pointless. It's the very nature of these forums.

That's the truth, chaim! I figure, there's never any harm in posting information to clarify a matter that has confused a lot of people. Clearing up misconceptions is one of the reasons forums exist, like I said recently in another thread. Knowledge is power!

I want to clarify that I had no intent to dismiss Glenn.
    To be honest my Long Run cd is missing these days. I have it on my ipod, but do not have access to the actual physical cd, so I am "Guilty of the Crime" of not reading liner notes!!
    Actually, I rarely read cd liner notes because they are usually just too small... and it frustrates me to have to strain my eyes to read them!