Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: The I Can't Tell You Why solo

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: The I Can't Tell You Why solo

Quote Originally Posted by Topkat View Post
    I want to clarify that I had no intent to dismiss Glenn.
    To be honest my Long Run cd is missing these days. I have it on my ipod, but do not have access to the actual physical cd, so I am "Guilty of the Crime" of not reading liner notes!!
    Actually, I rarely read cd liner notes because they are usually just too small... and it frustrates me to have to strain my eyes to read them!
    By the way, I want to clarify that this topic wasn't aimed at you. To be honest I didn't even remember who had said what regarding the solo. I was thinking of YouTube comments I've seen (the "Glenn Frey plays on the original" - "F** off" kind of interaction going on in there) and I remembered that we had discussed it here, how some thought that Don's "sensual guitar" comment in his book meant taking credit for the original solo.
    So again, I want you to know that I didn't have you in mind when I started this.

Quote Originally Posted by chaim View Post
    By the way, I want to clarify that this topic wasn't aimed at you. To be honest I didn't even remember who had said what regarding the solo. I was thinking of YouTube comments I've seen (the "Glenn Frey plays on the original" - "F** off" kind of interaction going on in there) and I remembered that we had discussed it here, how some thought that Don's "sensual guitar" comment in his book meant taking credit for the original solo.
    So again, I want you to know that I didn't have you in mind when I started this.
    I realize the thread wasn't started because of me, but somehow I jumped into the thread, & then I suddenly felt under attack. It's hard not to take it personal, which is why I felt the need to defend myself. I guess most of the reason people (I mean on YouTube) or maybe not avid Eagles fans may think that it was Don's solo is because Don did play it most of the time, & most have not seen Glenn play it, or like me, didn't read the liner notes on The Long Run. I have now been enlightened to the history of the song, so it's all good. Peace Out

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Topkat View Post
    I realize the thread wasn't started because of me, but somehow I jumped into the thread, & then I suddenly felt under attack. It's hard not to take it personal, which is why I felt the need to defend myself. I guess most of the reason people (I mean on YouTube) or maybe not avid Eagles fans may think that it was Don's solo is because Don did play it most of the time, & most have not seen Glenn play it, or like me, didn't read the liner notes on The Long Run. I have now been enlightened to the history of the song, so it's all good. Peace Out
    This is one of the most warmhearted internet forums I've ever seen. I guess that's why I feel sad when someone feels he's /she's being attacked here (in this case it was probably a misunderstanding on everyone's part), while in most internet forums it would be a quite normal situation.

Quote Originally Posted by chaim View Post
    in most internet forums it would be a quite normal situation.
    Seriously! Coming from a background where I've been a member of lots of forums, I've always been surprised at how this one has stayed so much tamer. What some consider "major drama" here is child's play. It's not due to me; I ran a Fleetwood Mac board with crazy drama. In fact, I once linked to a Fleetwood Mac board's Survivor game to show our Survivor players here, who were thinking we had a lot of drama while playing it, what real internet drama looks like. lol

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    Seriously! Coming from a background where I've been a member of lots of forums, I've always been surprised at how this one has stayed so much tamer. What some consider "major drama" here is child's play. It's not due to me; I ran a Fleetwood Mac board with crazy drama. In fact, I once linked to a Fleetwood Mac board's Survivor game to show our Survivor players here, who were thinking we had a lot of drama while playing it, what real internet drama looks like. lol
    I like to think that it has something to do with the spirit of the Eagles! It's the same thing with the Moody Blues Hall forum. Such a warm atmosphere there. And what a lovely band too!

EDIT:

I also think that it does have something to do with you. When you have "slightly heated arguments" with someone here, you are willing to forget it, let it go and continue like it never existed, and I respect that very much.
    Last edited by chaim; 06-09-2012 at 05:01 PM.

Out on the Border

Smile Re: The I Can't Tell You Why solo

Revisiting this thread!

What an amazing solo by Glenn. Not only the composition but the performance.

Stuck on the Border MaryCalifornia's Avatar

ICTYW is a real jewel in the Eagles catalog. Such a departure for them, such a different, unique sound! I'm so glad they went with it. I love it, and I love LITFL and Those Shoes. These songs just expand their repertoire in such a fun way. Everyone loves ICTYW!!!!! Also, the guys seem to like it! It's a fine bit of music, especially the solo and the intro (and obvs the vocals)

The ICTYW solo is probably my top 3 favorite Glenn guitar moment, other than the Already Gone solo and the Witchy Woman solo.

That said, I feel that Felder made it his own when he played it, and so did Stu. The same notes and general feel but the littlest of changes in the phrasing between them. It sounds very Felder-y to begin with in it's phrasing and note choice, so I can see where some might think it's him but the fact of them not wanting to admit it's not is a problem. I like to think they all influenced each others styles.

But yeah, definitely a wonderful lyrical solo that showed Glenn's fretboard skills that were seldom shown in the Eagles outside of a select few songs.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Stuck on the Border

I think there are bits here and there in certain Felder solos that sound a bit like a few things Glenn did later in his solo career. A lick or two in the One Of These Nights solo, the After The Thrill Is Gone solo. So Glenn may have been influenced by him. But I've never felt that the ICTYW solo is Felderish. Interesting. Maybe it is.

I prefer the way Glenn plays it on the album. Real smooth, no conscious "interpretating" going on. Not trying to sound emotional or something, you know, just playing it. And it's beautiful. But yeah, having said that, it's not really the way Don played it that bothers me. It's the fact that some people refuse to admit that it's Glenn who came up with it and played it on the album. Once when someone had no alternative but to believe that it's Glenn on the album, he still tried to take it away from him by suggesting that he didn't necessarily write it. I mean, why is it so hard for some people to accept that Glenn Frey wrote and played one solo they happen to love? It should be a nonissue.

Stuck on the Border buffyfan145's Avatar

I've always loved this song and it's one of mine and my Mom's favorites of Timothy's lead vocals. I also loved Vince Gill's cover (who I've been a fan of forever too) as that was also around the time of HFO and I really became an Eagles fan and wanting to learn more about them. Although as an 8 year old I didn't really pay attention to who did what parts except the vocals, but I always liked the solo. That being said it wasn't till I saw an interview with Vince after Glenn passed where Vince said he always loved Glenn's solo, and it inspired Vince's own guitar playing. I was totally shocked I didn't know Glenn did that part. Looking back I should have noticed as Glenn's guitar playing style is similar in his solo songs, so it brought a new appreciation for a song I already loved.
    ~*Amanda*~
    "So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key."