Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: The I Can't Tell You Why solo

Stuck on the Border Jonny Come Lately's Avatar
    Watching the hazy sun sinking in the sea in England

Default Re: The I Can't Tell You Why solo

I love the ICTYW solo, and the song itself. I agree with MC, as I think it's quite different from any of the other tracks on The Long Run album but it fits really in well amongst the often dark and/or cynical rock songs that IMO define that record. It was a great start to Tim's career with the Eagles, yet I also think it's one of the definitive Glenn songs. I believe it was his idea to get Tim to sing an R&B song as it sounds very different from his Poco work, especially when compared to say Do Something. The smooth R&B style is very much in Glenn's musical territory and he is the most noticeable musician on the record, with the Fender Rhodes piano and of course his delightful guitar solo. When listening on my headphones, I often listen to it on repeat.

I do get slightly annoyed when I see people credit Don F with playing the solo on the studio version, although I also love the HFO version where Don is playing it. It's funny because I believe from reading from people who know a lot more about guitar playing than I do that it's technically pretty, yet is often described it as a lyrical solo. I guess it's one of those 'lightning in a bottle' moments that happen in music, Glenn really hit the sweet spot there.

Default Re: The I Can't Tell You Why solo

Credit should go to Steuart Smith when he played this during the Eagles' shows.
    He is such a great guitar player.