Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Gene Simmons

Default Re: Gene Simmons

I read some of the Borderers reviews of concerts and I am in awe. How they know and notice every little voice inflection, etc. Me? I just know if the song made me cry, made me bounce in my seat, brought back a terrific (or other) memory. Eagles songs make me sing out loud and think of simpler times. Guns N Roses and Slash get me excited and feeling youthful again.

Something I have started doing recently is trying to pick apart the music. Listening for the different instruments and really taking note of what each is playing and how alone, on their own, they don't always sound like the song in it's full form. Did that make sense? lol I really like figuring out the lead and rhythm guitar parts. I'm 48 but would love to learn guitar! Or, maybe I'm just obsessed with guitar players in general.

My mind is Tiffany twisted

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by lizzyplays View Post
    I read some of the Borderers reviews of concerts and I am in awe. How they know and notice every little voice inflection, etc. Me? I just know if the song made me cry, made me bounce in my seat, brought back a terrific (or other) memory. Eagles songs make me sing out loud and think of simpler times. Guns N Roses and Slash get me excited and feeling youthful again.

Something I have started doing recently is trying to pick apart the music. Listening for the different instruments and really taking note of what each is playing and how alone, on their own, they don't always sound like the song in it's full form. Did that make sense? lol I really like figuring out the lead and rhythm guitar parts. I'm 48 but would love to learn guitar! Or, maybe I'm just obsessed with guitar players in general.
    It's very interesting to do that. Especially with a band like YES, whose music if often a collection of parts from different instruments. Sometimes no one is playing just chords in that music.
    The guitar is a wonderful instrument for me, because you can play it alone, and still play both chords and melodies, although usually I just strum chords and sing the melodies. You don't have to know an awful lot of stuff to be able to entertain yourself with a guitar, and that's wonderful.

Stuck on the Border

Here's one of the most beautiful songs I've ever heard. As you may know, Paul Stanley is a rhythm guitar player, but he has played a few solos. The solo he played in this song is one of the best guitar solos I have ever heard:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7ofrdBdJRM[/ame]

It was also great to see the song in the Unplugged set. Paul let Bruce play the solo in one of the Unplugged songs although he played it on the album ("Sure know something"). I'm glad that Paul played the World Without Heroes solo himself, and didn't give it away to Bruce. You can see, when Paul starts the solo, the smile on Gene's face when he's looking at the crowd. He's obviously "with the audience", feeling good as his old friend gets the spotlight and plays that great solo of his after so many years:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvgZSd3zrjA[/ame]
    Last edited by chaim; 06-09-2012 at 03:58 PM.