Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gene Simmons

Stuck on the Border

Default Gene Simmons

I have referred to this guy many times here, he's one of my "heroes" in the music world. He came up with many great, melodic bass lines in the 70's for KISS songs, and he's still a very melodic player. But what I like most about him is his sense of humor and how he makes fun of himself all the time (like going backstage to Paul Stanley's solo show, and saying to everyone "Aren't you all glad to see me?"). All his life he's written mostly beautiful melodic stuff, but apart from a few songs, only the rock tunes have been released. Like he's said himself, he's really a softie. I'd like to who show you some of his more melodic stuff, and maybe hear what you think. These are from his solo album from 1978:

This first one is one of my all-time favourite songs. Gene wrote it in the 60's.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBUFk68Jo7Q[/ame]

It was a thrill to see KISS perform this in Unplugged in the 90's:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rf_Yy16iqY[/ame]

Some other songs from his first solo album:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJSjwke6uQg[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bJ31tejeAM[/ame]

This is a song he wrote with a friend of his before there was KISS. But KISS recorded it for their second album. The chords came from his friend, and Gene wrote the vocal melodies, lyrics and the beautiful bassline that starts the song:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBPpM5YHAeE[/ame]
    What do you people think. Do they suck?

Default Re: Gene Simmons

I don't have time to listen to them right now but, I'll come back later to do so. I just wanted to comment that I enjoy watching "Gene Simmons Family Jewels". It's very interesting. At times you see that "softie" in him. Very different from his KISS persona.

I love KISS. Gene is not my favorite member but he's a good bass player.

Gene is a very polarizing figure (you either love him or hate him it seems, with very little in between) but I think he's a good bass player and I do like KISS. I prefer the Ace Frehley and Peter Criss years, but I like KISS in general. I also like Family Jewels on TV.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Quote Originally Posted by GlennLover View Post
    I don't have time to listen to them right now but, I'll come back later to do so. I just wanted to comment that I enjoy watching "Gene Simmons Family Jewels". It's very interesting. At times you see that "softie" in him. Very different from his KISS persona.
    I absolutely LOVE Family Jewels!!! and the kids... omg.. love love love.. especially Nick. He's hilarious!

My mind is Tiffany twisted

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WalshFan88 View Post
    Gene is a very polarizing figure (you either love him or hate him it seems, with very little in between)
    Won't say what side I'm on.

I hear Kiss is touring this summer with Motley Crue? Don't know how I feel about this. And isn't there only Paul & Gene in the band now of "real" members of Kiss, or am I completely wrong there? Please excuse my ignorance on this. A friend and I were talking about it the other night and wondering how this is going to work- which band will be the headliner. I can't see either of them taking the stage 2nd.
    He sings it high, he plays it low

Stuck on the Border

Of course I have many "heroes" in the music world. Glenn, of course, being one of them, and Tony Banks of Genesis (in fact I'm "banks" in the KISS forum I visit.). But I thought that I'd like to mention Gene here, because, like WalshFan88 very accurately put it, people usually either love him or hate him. So I was interested in your thoughts and reactions to these songs. Also, my name here, of course, is Gene's original name.
    Yes, Gene and Paul are the only original members in KISS at the moment. I'm not a fan of two different people wearing Ace and Peter's makeup, but musically they are great today. In fact, whenever I see footage from their recent soundchecks, I wish they would perform like that - without makeup and in normal clothes. They look so much better and cooler at soundchecks! Especially Paul and Tommy Thayer. I think Gene is the only one of them who looks cool either way, because there's so much humour in his mannerisms, with or without makeup. When Paul puts on the makeup and walks onstage, he's so serious.

Stuck on the Border

For those of you who like Gene's bass playing...Have your heard this pre-KISS song? I think he does some nice bass work here. The guy who produced this unreleased record said that Gene's bass playing was phenomenal in this song.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0Li9QHGOt8[/ame]

Quote Originally Posted by TimothyBFan View Post
    Won't say what side I'm on.

I hear Kiss is touring this summer with Motley Crue? Don't know how I feel about this. And isn't there only Paul & Gene in the band now of "real" members of Kiss, or am I completely wrong there? Please excuse my ignorance on this. A friend and I were talking about it the other night and wondering how this is going to work- which band will be the headliner. I can't see either of them taking the stage 2nd.
    IIRC, KISS is going to be the 2nd show... Motley will open.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Thanks for starting this thread, chaim. I was just thinking yesterday how lately it seems we're only starting threads for beloved musicians when they die. "Nothing is said 'til the artist is dead." It's time that trend changed. Gene Simmons is not really my cup of tea, but I recognize his talent.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten