Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Gene Simmons

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

Default Re: Gene Simmons

Ironically, just as I clicked into here to read it... This came on.....

Thanks Austin. I must admit I'm surprised Motley Crue will be the "opening act". I thought the egos of both the bands would be to big for that. Or are they considering it equal billing/ equal time?

ETA: Same thing just happened when I went into the Bob Welch thread. Strange!
    Last edited by TimothyBFan; 06-08-2012 at 01:44 PM.
    He sings it high, he plays it low

Stuck on the Border

Ha! Many people like to say that Gene and Paul hated Beth, and didn't want it on the album. Some insiders, including the man himself (and even Peter, I think), have said that Gene loved it. Gene has said that he was "crazy about it", and that he was the one who (after hearing Peter sing it) told Peter to show the melody to Bob Ezrin, who was producing their album at the time.

I have tickets to the Kiss/Crue show here in Raleigh, so I will be sure to post a few after the concert in July!! I grew up with Crue, as I did GnR and Kiss was a childhood staple since I can remember. Brilliant marketing on Gene's part here... but then again, he is a brilliant businessman. Have to give him props there.

My mind is Tiffany twisted

Quote Originally Posted by TimothyBFan View Post
    Ironically, just as I clicked into here to read it... This came on.....

Thanks Austin. I must admit I'm surprised Motley Crue will be the "opening act". I thought the egos of both the bands would be to big for that. Or are they considering it equal billing/ equal time?

ETA: Same thing just happened when I went into the Bob Welch thread. Strange!
    It's billed as co-headliners and just as I suspected, I just read where Nikki said the Crue is taking the stage first and in his words "rightly so". The Crue guys grew up on KISS, and had them as their idols and they consider this whole thing a complete honor to be a part of, and not as some second class billing situation.

I figured it'd be a co-headliner but I knew Motley was the opener/first act as they had said that during the press conference when they announced the tour.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Stuck on the Border

I like Mötley Crüe a lot. Everyone in that band isn't a KISS fan though. Mick Mars has always made it clear how much he does not like them. I love Mick. He's a very cool guy, and he's probably always been one of the most mature people in the hard rock genre in many ways. He's not an amazing lead guitarist (at least not in hard rock music), but he has come up with a lot of great riffs, and he's a fine rhythm guitarist. He's always been very open about the fact that he's a blues player and that he's in the hard rock world (or whatever you call it, heavy metal...), because it's easier to make a living. Pragmatism.
    I think this song (a song he wrote with Nikki) is full of tasty guitar work from Mick. The slide guitar, the chords & riffs in the first verse etc.
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3QhVeHr-gM[/ame]

I love the Crue too. I grew up in the hey day of the heavy metail hair bands (although I hated stuff like Poison and the frilly glam metal stuff). Which explains my addiction to Guns N' Roses. I was so disgusted with the over the top metal love ballads and GnR was the injection that I needed. Anyways, the Crue were bad assed too. Suprisingly, I didn't get to see them in concert during all of that time and I saw practically every other band during that period. I can't remember why... I'm sure there was a 'chemical' reason for me missing it....

I agree with you about Mick. I love the guy cus he's always seemed normal and mature to be in such a band of debauchery. I read in an article not to long ago that due to his health, that Dj Ashba would be the most likely heir to Mick's position should he have to retire. That, I would love to see... frankly because I'd love for Dj to get out of the so-called GnR of today. But, in his position, why would he? That's a well paying gig I am sure. Perhaps he would do both. Anyways, I'm really excited to be going to my first Crue concert and my 2nd Kiss. I'm just hoping that at my age I don't throw my neck out, or injure a knee...

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by lizzyplays View Post
    I love the Crue too. I grew up in the hey day of the heavy metail hair bands (although I hated stuff like Poison and the frilly glam metal stuff). Which explains my addiction to Guns N' Roses. I was so disgusted with the over the top metal love ballads and GnR was the injection that I needed. Anyways, the Crue were bad assed too. Suprisingly, I didn't get to see them in concert during all of that time and I saw practically every other band during that period. I can't remember why... I'm sure there was a 'chemical' reason for me missing it....

I agree with you about Mick. I love the guy cus he's always seemed normal and mature to be in such a band of debauchery. I read in an article not to long ago that due to his health, that Dj Ashba would be the most likely heir to Mick's position should he have to retire. That, I would love to see... frankly because I'd love for Dj to get out of the so-called GnR of today. But, in his position, why would he? That's a well paying gig I am sure. Perhaps he would do both. Anyways, I'm really excited to be going to my first Crue concert and my 2nd Kiss. I'm just hoping that at my age I don't throw my neck out, or injure a knee...
    I hope I'll get to hear your opinion about their performances, especially since I won't be seeing them myself. That Mick/Dj Ashba thing was news to me. Very interesting.
    And I very much agree with you on Guns'n'Roses being what was needed at the time. I've never been a fan of certain elements in their lyrics, but I can't deny that Axl is a very clever lyricist. His stuff in Coma, for example, is both haunting and hilarious in places.
    Last edited by chaim; 06-09-2012 at 11:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by chaim View Post
    I hope I'll get to hear your opinion about their performances, especially since I won't be seeing them myself. That Mick/Dj Ashba thing was news to me. Very interesting.
    And I very much agree with you on Guns'n'Roses being what was needed at the time. I've never been a fan of certain elements in their lyrics, but I can't deny that Axl is a very clever lyricist. His stuff in Coma, for example, is both haunting and hilarious in places.
    I'll do the best review that I can! I'm not very poetic with these kinds of things... unlike some of our other Border members who can write about such things with complete knowledge and understanding of what they witnessed. I'm afraid my review will be limited to "they rocked or they sucked". lol I'm not musically inclined, but I live, eat, breathe, sleep music. I thrive on live shows and concerts and just being there 'in the moment' will make it all worthwhile for me. My friends and I are thinking about dressing up in our best 80's heavy metal hair band attire and just being over the top, for the fun of it. I'll have to go buy a can of Aqua-Net for the occasion.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by lizzyplays View Post
    I'll do the best review that I can! I'm not very poetic with these kinds of things... unlike some of our other Border members who can write about such things with complete knowledge and understanding of what they witnessed. I'm afraid my review will be limited to "they rocked or they sucked". lol I'm not musically inclined, but I live, eat, breathe, sleep music. I thrive on live shows and concerts and just being there 'in the moment' will make it all worthwhile for me. My friends and I are thinking about dressing up in our best 80's heavy metal hair band attire and just being over the top, for the fun of it. I'll have to go buy a can of Aqua-Net for the occasion.
    Do not sell yourself short. I have (because of circumstances, not because I seeked for it) studied music quite a bit, and I know an awful lot of music theory. BUT, in my experience, those who know nothing about minor chords with added major 7th, flatted 5ths or sonata form details, have often more valuable things to offer about experiencing music. And experiencing music is the most important thing. All theory is formed after the music it tries to explain has already been composed. Theory never comes before actual music. Knowing all this "fancy" stuff doesn't take anything away from feeling the music, but none of it is required to share with people how the music makes you feel. I've found that often you can explain things quicker if you know this stuff, to a person who knows it too. For example, if I tell you I like a certain bit of Genesis's "Mad Man Moon" (perhaps my favourite song ever), I can just say that I mean the bit where it moves from A/E to Am(add9). If you don't know the chords, you will have to try to explain with other words which bit you mean, perhaps trying to remember the lyrics. But knowing what those chords are doesn't change how that beautiful chordal movement makes me feel. The downside in using chord names and stuff to explain the pieces of music you mean, is that people often think that you like them because you know those chords!