Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Former Fleetwood Mac member, Bob Welch found dead

Border Troubadour prayfordaylight's Avatar

Default Re: Former Fleetwood Mac member, Bob Welch found dead

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    I would venture that none of the albums on which he featured would be considreed the band's best remembered albums
    I'm a long-time FM fanatic (I met Soda years ago through the FM fandom). Many of us who have listened to the Bob Welch era albums consider some of that work to be some of the best FM ever did.

I'm not discounting the Rumours-era classic lineup but "Mystery To Me" especially could go up against the FM White Album, Mirage or Tango (I'd put it behind Rumours and Tusk) anyday. MTM is cover-to-cover probably my favorite FM album.

Bob is also the reason Fleetwood Mac ever came to California. Mick was open to it but the McVies were resistant. If FM never went to CA, they never would've found Stevie and Lindsey and Rumours never would have happened.

Bob is also what helped FM transition from a British blues band to a UK-US hybrid pop group - another crucial element that led to Stevie and Lindsey.
    -Ali

You can see the stars and still not see the light.

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by prayfordaylight View Post
    I'm a long-time FM fanatic (I met Soda years ago through the FM fandom). Many of us who have listened to the Bob Welch era albums consider some of that work to be some of the best FM ever did.

I'm not discounting the Rumours-era classic lineup but "Mystery To Me" especially could go up against the FM White Album, Mirage or Tango (I'd put it behind Rumours and Tusk) anyday. MTM is cover-to-cover probably my favorite FM album.

Bob is also the reason Fleetwood Mac ever came to California. Mick was open to it but the McVies were resistant. If FM never went to CA, they never would've found Stevie and Lindsey and Rumours never would have happened.

Bob is also what helped FM transition from a British blues band to a UK-US hybrid pop group - another crucial element that led to Stevie and Lindsey.
    Thanks so much for your insight on this. I was hoping we'd hear from one of our experts on this. In reading stuff yesterday, I saw that about the California thing and also about the FM album. The stuff I read gave him a lot of credit.

This makes it very sad to me that he was not inducted.
    He sings it high, he plays it low

Border Troubadour prayfordaylight's Avatar

I agree. His exclusion from the Hall was a slap in the face.
    -Ali

You can see the stars and still not see the light.

Quote Originally Posted by BramwenR View Post
    Worth being the operative word.

They are not well liked by the press in Australia because of their overblown egos. I have never seen them live and quite frankly, would not part with one brass razoo anyway after this.

Such very talented people, it's such a shame the spotlight got in the way.

Bob Welch definitely should have been included in the Hall of Fame induction. That decision was made by Mick Fleetwood alone, and even he now has kind words to say despite the lawsuit Bob initiated that led to the hard feelings which caused Mick to exclude him in a petty and unjustified move. I agree with everything PFD said.

However, the rest of your generalizions are uninformed and unfair. Why is Fleetwood Mac any less worthy than the Eagles, a band you enjoy, according to your criteria? The Eagles are not well liked by the press as a rule. Some members of the Eagles have been accused of overblown egos and unreasonable demands. Many claim the treatment of Don Felder was petty and unjustified. However, you don't complain about them, refuse to see them live, or lump Timothy in with the decision makers Glenn and Don as you lump in Stevie, Lindsey, etc. with Mick.

Nobody says you have to like their music. People have different tastes. Even you, though, admit their talent.... Yet they have no "worth" and should not be inducted into the Hall of Fame because of "their" arrogance and a decision made by one of their members? Ridiculous.

As someone who is a member of the Fleetwood Mac online fandom and hears plenty of fan opinions, I can assure you that these fan reviews proving their unworthiness and arrogance which you vaguely remember are not the majority opinion. Frankly, I don't even know what you're talking about as I've never seen these supposed accounts of horrible behavior by the band. I'm not saying they don't exist because it's always possible some people have had bad experiences with band members - nobody is perfect - but the ones I have seen tell quite a different story. Personally, my experiences with them have been nothing but positive. I am hardly an insider, but I have met the band as well as Stevie and Lindsey individually. They were very kind to me and the other fans with me. Stevie especially has done some wonderful things for her fans. Unworthy? Hardly!

One more thing: if humility were a requirement for inclusion in the Hall of Fame, that hall would be pretty empty.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

THANK YOU, SODA!!!!! You may not be an "insider" but you are as close to one as I can think of to set this record straight and I'm so glad you took the time on your vacation to do so. All the wonderful stories you've told me about the grateful things that Stevie has done for her fans seemed to contradict all the negative things about her, especially when there's no specific things to back them up.

As for Bob being worthy to be in the hall-----sure sounds like he deserved it and was cheated.
    Last edited by TimothyBFan; 06-20-2012 at 03:26 PM.
    He sings it high, he plays it low

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    Bob Welch definitely should have been included in the Hall of Fame induction. That decision was made by Mick Fleetwood alone, and even he now has kind words to say despite the lawsuit Bob initiated that led to the hard feelings which caused Mick to exclude him in a petty and unjustified move. I agree with everything PFD said.

However, the rest of your generalizions are uninformed and unfair. Why is Fleetwood Mac any less worthy than the Eagles, a band you enjoy, according to your criteria? The Eagles are not well liked by the press as a rule. Some members of the Eagles have been accused of overblown egos and unreasonable demands. Many claim the treatment of Don Felder was petty and unjustified. However, you don't complain about them, refuse to see them live, or lump Timothy in with the decision makers Glenn and Don as you lump in Stevie, Lindsey, etc. with Mick.

Nobody says you have to like their music. People have different tastes. Even you, though, admit their talent.... Yet they have no "worth" and should not be inducted into the Hall of Fame because of "their" arrogance and a decision made by one of their members? Ridiculous.

As someone who is a member of the Fleetwood Mac online fandom and hears plenty of fan opinions, I can assure you that these fan reviews proving their unworthiness and arrogance which you vaguely remember are not the majority opinion. Frankly, I don't even know what you're talking about as I've never seen these supposed accounts of horrible behavior by the band. I'm not saying they don't exist because it's always possible some people have had bad experiences with band members - nobody is perfect - but the ones I have seen tell quite a different story. Personally, my experiences with them have been nothing but positive. am hardly an insider, but I have met the band as well as Stevie and Lindsey and they were very kind to me and the fans with me. Stevie especially has done some wonderful things for her fans. Unworthy? Hardly!

One more thing: if humility were a requirement for inclusion in the Hall of Fame, that hall would be pretty empty.
    Soda, it seems your experiences with FM are different from what I have heard of in Australia. That is your prerogative, to like this or that as it is mine.

Vive la difference.

I agree that Bob Welch should have been inducted into the HOF along with the rest of Fleetwood Mac. He was a huge part of the early days of the band. That was a real slap in the face, in my opinion. Sad