Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 32 Reasons Why the Eagles are the Best Band in the Universe

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

I like #5 and #32 as well. I think #3 is pretty spot on too.

3. Like all good California singer-songwriters, they looked great, too — no other band has pulled off the awake-for-three-days-on-peyote-buttons, stumbling-off-a-Lear-jet-dressed-like-a-cowboy thing with as much style.

DF and Brooke - better check the size of those shoes. I have a pair just like them.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

No way. I promise you, they are MY shoes.

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

My favourite bit is:

8. The moment in “Already Gone” when Glenn tells somebody “You’ll have to eat your lunch all by yourself,” like he’s disciplining a fourth-grader.

I love that line myself, and I wouldn't mind being a fourth Grader being disciplined by Glenn I presume he'd have to supervise me eating my lunch all by myself since (over here anyway) students can't be left on their own....Oh lovely
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

Quote Originally Posted by Glennsallnighter
    My favourite bit is:

8. The moment in “Already Gone” when Glenn tells somebody “You’ll have to eat your lunch all by yourself,” like he’s disciplining a fourth-grader.

I love that line myself, and I wouldn't mind being a fourth Grader being disciplined by Glenn I presume he'd have to supervise me eating my lunch all by myself since (over here anyway) students can't be left on their own....Oh lovely
    I love that line too. I wouldn't mind being a fourth-grader that's being disciplined by Glenn either.
    How can love survive in such a graceless age?

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower
    Believe me, if it WAS 'worst' you would know about it.
    True indeed!

3. Like all good California singer-songwriters, they looked great, too — no other band has pulled off the awake-for-three-days-on-peyote-buttons, stumbling-off-a-Lear-jet-dressed-like-a-cowboy thing with as much style.
    I like this!

The first line is good as well - a pithy remark about music critics.

www.donfelderonline.com
    ~~~~~
    This way to happiness...

Well, hmm! Perhaps this will answer the question about whether they meant it or not! Check out this article:

"The Eagles: Don Henley Gets Dragged Into Subtle Magazine Feud"

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

For quick reference, here is the gist of the above link, which basically compares The Eagles, a band the writer doesn't like, with New York magazine, a magazine he doesn't like either:
    ------------------------------------------------------------

"The most successful album in the history of recorded music is a greatest hits compilation by The Eagles. It has been purchased 29 million times since its release in 1976. This fact has long been a cause of consternation to people who care about rock music. It's not so much that The Eagles were an execrable band (which they were), or that they outsold worthier competitors like Michael Jackson or Led Zeppelin (which they did). It's that The Eagles should have been the best rock band ever, but instead opted to remain a slick and empty confection. All the elements were there—exquisite harmonies, some truly beautiful songs, gifted musicians—but somehow the expensive ingredients all collapsed into a flaccid soufflé of radio-ready pabulum. Notwithstanding their success, The Eagles are now generally remembered as either the worst good band or the best awful band of their era.

Why can't I remember anything I've read in 'New York' over the past two years? Because all too often it's a magazine without elbows—or a spine, or a pulse.Which brings us to New York magazine, the title that swept the National Magazine Awards last Tuesday in five categories, including general excellence and design. Despite all its recent accolades, New York is to journalism what The Eagles were to rock: a technically flawless assemblage of expertly crafted elements that look, on paper (as it were), as though they ought to translate into a superb magazine, and yet somehow still manage to suck. "

-------------------------------------------------
    Ouch!
    I am so glad I am a writer trying to make a living in sweet home Alabama, instead of in ultra-cool, oh-so-impressed-with-themselves New York.

And what is wrong with radio ready songs? This is of those critics that underlines no.1

1. No band is more deeply misunderstood, particularly by people who believe art should be pious.

www.donfelderonline.com
    ~~~~~
    This way to happiness...

Quote Originally Posted by glenneaglesfan
    And what is wrong with radio ready songs? This is of those critics that underlines no.1

1. No band is more deeply misunderstood, particularly by people who believe art should be pious.
    So true!

The writer said it himself right here:
    "All the elements were there—exquisite harmonies, some truly beautiful songs, gifted musicians—"

But IMO what he considers "radio-ready pabulum" would more accurately be described as a catalog of classic songs that could be, in turn, hauntingly beautiful, bitingly sarcastic, but always impeccably crafted and beautifully performed.

Amen. That guy's self-righteous pronouncements on the Eagles just make me roll my eyes.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten