Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Joe's new song, Family

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Default Joe's new song, Family

I'm posting the lyrics I found on the net (don't have the cd with me right now) and I just think it's a really heartfelt, lovely song, but it bothers me.

"Family"

I've been alone most of my life
    I've never known what it was like
    To end up somewhere and not have to pack
    To be among friends I know have my back

But now I'm here where I belong
    I've finally found a wife and a home
    And a family that matters, means more to me
    Than anything I have ever believed

And when we are gathered together
    Tell me how blessed can somebody be

Give thanks, break bread, say grace, bow heads
    For all of this love that surrounds me
    We laugh, we cry, stand together that's why
    It's all being part of a family

Tried it before, never felt right
    I never dreamed that someday I might
    Be part of something bigger than me
    It makes me feel humble, finally I see

All that we have is each other
    And that's all that I'll ever need

Give thanks, take time to say that I'm
    So grateful for all that surrounds me

I can't help thinking the first time I heard it, what are his other family members going to think of this? It makes me sad that he might be estranged from them. I supposed that probably he was such a mess when they were growing up that they might have pretty much written him off and possibly those fences can't be mended.

Does anyone know how he gets along with his children from previous marriages? I really don't know how many he has. I know Emma died at three or so and there is Lucy, who he helped a couple years ago with a tv thing or an album or something. I'm thinking he also has at least one son. It seems like he was mentioned somewhere.

He does certainly seem to be happy with his family now.

Any thoughts?
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Default Re: Joe's new song, Family

If I recall He has two sons from his marriage to Denise

Brooke-

I have actually been thinking the same thing abt Joe and his 'other' family, meaning the ones that came before he met Marje.

I do love this song and think it is one of the best on the album but by the same token, I do feel sad for his kids from the other relationships. I don't know. I wonder if it hurts them or not, as you said, maybe they're estranged.

Since I obviously don't personally know Joe or his family, this is speculation from 40+ years of listening/reading interviews and from other things with which I have experience. This isn't so much about Joe's family, it's more about Joe and his ability to bond and have relationships. He's spoken about being physically separated from friends and family all the years on the road, then mentally separated from the affects of addiction. Isolating, a common addiction problem, so he was checked out most of the time. This no doubt was hard on his marriages and kids. And was the reason exes became exes and why friends, other relationships were lost.

Tried it before, never felt right
    I never dreamed that someday I might
    Be part of something bigger than me
    It makes me feel humble, finally I see

Then when you become sober, all those relationships change again. Some are repaired, some are lost, amends are made, and starting life over begins. Now, with the recovery that he's achieved, he can mentally and physically connect, be a husband, father, family member 'cause he's plugged in and available and not hiding in a bottle.

Give thanks, take time to say that I'm
    So grateful for all that surrounds me

Lucy's media was very positive and pro Joe about this new music, so I'm guessing she understood what was being said in this song. I don't remember what ages his boys are or how much they understand all the dynamics of things, but I've heard Joe say at the end of a few interviews Hello to them and that he loves them. I'm guessing that's not just for show. Honesty is the most important part of recovery and he seems intent on that.

I think it's lovely, very heartfelt song, with very naked and tender feelings. So happy he can have this kind of insight now. Proof that it's never too late for love, acceptance and to start over. That's my take on it.
    http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5084/5316660629_4a27633c34.jpg
    Good morning my ...
    ~Deb~

I seem to recall reading somewhere recently that he actually has two sons from his marriage to Denise and they live in the San Diego area, I believe. Hard to say how close he may be with them but hopefully he's meding fences now that his life has settled into something more normal. IMO Marjorie has had a true calming influence on him and it shows. Listening to Analog Man for about ten days now I have to say that as much as I love his earlier work, this is the best he's ever done and this song in particular seems to be very introspective.
    You were just too busy being FABULOUS....

Victim of Love

As soon as I read the first para I knew it was something about bonding. Also, that any mistakes he made in the past with relationships all seem insignificant now because he's mended. He's let go of his demons,, moved on and got the happiness he's craved all these years.

Also, just reading between the lines about his other kids..it depends how much he was in their lives to begin with as to how they react to him now. If they were very little, chances are they may not have learned about his addictive behaviour but if they weren't, he respects their distance and still reminds them that he loves them.

I admired Joes from his openness with One Day At A Time, which I saw for the first time on the F1 Tout DVD..that is a pledge from AA, or any other addiction related group where they cite the Serenity Prayer...one day at a time is the mantra addicts are taught to live by.

I am guessing Family is an extension of that. He certainly looks much happier, relaxed and content these days. Getting from that place to where he is now took a lot of strength. I haven't heard the album except for the title track and one other..I am sure it will be good for him

Good luck to him, in the music industry that's a huge plus.

I will say one thing though about 'Family', I feel myself tearing up when I hear it. I do like the message behind it and I like the fact that Joe is quite willing to lay the deepest parts of himself out there now. I think it's prob one of my fav songs on Analog Man and I can't seem to get it out of my head.

I liked what jdubfan had to say. Thanks for putting another perspective on it. I really didn't think about it that way, so I appreciate it.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

jdubfan - I totally agree with your take on this song. I was going to post something very similar, but you beat me to it - so thanks for saving me some time.

I think it is pretty widely known that Joe has three children - daughter Lucy (born in early 80's), and sons Alden and Emerson (both born in late 90's). And, of course, he lost a young daughter, Emma, in a car accident in the mid 70's. I'm pretty sure that Joe also mentioned a stepson in a recent interview, who I presumed is Marjorie's son. Everything I've read or seen recently indicates Joe is on good terms with his children even though he has often said he wished he had more time to spend with them. I've also heard that he has a couple of brothers, but I don't know this for sure and, if so, I have no idea what his relationship is with them. I don't know if his parents are still living or not. But, in any event, as jdubfan so eloquently stated, I look at the lyrics in Family, and think they are more about Joe's state of mind and ability to feel connected to his family now as opposed to the days when his mind was chemically altered. In other words, it wasn't that he didn't love his family before - it's just that he didn't have the ability to feel the connection before like he does now.

And, BTW, I also find the song very touching. I think it's one of my favorites on Analog Man.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

I actually created a drawing today based on this song.

I did a rough sketch of Joe and then hand-lettered the lyrics around the outside. I think it came out okay.
    Attached Images Attached Images

That's really cool Kim. Thanks for sharing it.

I also like what Deb had to say (as usual). During interviews Joe talks about having to re-learn how to do EVERYTHING after becoming clean and sober. I find it touching that Joe now finds happiness in sitting at a table having a meal with his family - something most of us might take for granted.
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.