Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Joe's new song, Family

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Default Re: Joe's new song, Family

That is awesome, Kim!

And good to hear from you, PM. We've missed ya around here.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Jdfan, thanks so much for your perspective on this. That all makes sense. I'm so glad Joe has been so successful with his sobriety. And I'm sure all you can do is take one day at a time to get through it.

mk, that was beautiful! Thanks for posting!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Thanks for the kind words, everyone. Joe has been really inspiring me lately.

Deb, great post and I feel much the same way - that Joe is now able to truly appreciate what he has. From reading the lyrics I got the feeling that Marjorie has welcomed all Joe's family too.

Kim - loved our pic.
    ---------------------------------
    Suzanne

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

Default Re: Press and Discussion about Joe's New Album

Just my 2 cents, and I won't go into great detail because I really haven't had a chance to listen more than a few times. So far, tho, I have to say my fave 3 are Wrecking Ball, Lucky That Way and of course, Analog Man. Least fave is Spanish Dancer.

As for Family, I have to say this song kind of bothers me. I have to wonder what his family is thinking about that.
    The 2nd verse:
    But now I'm here where I belong
    I've finally found a wife and a home
    And a family that matters, means more to me
    Than anything I have ever believed

WTH?!?! I think if I was one of his kids or ex wives, I'd be all over that. Maybe you had it before, buddy, but was to messed up to realize it. Sorry, that sounds harsh but this song really got me the first time I heard it, went back and listened again. Not sure how I truly feel about it. Think it's pretty harsh and a heck of a way to alienate any family. JMO.
    He sings it high, he plays it low

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

I just posted what I felt about this song but maybe I'm way off base. I hope I am and after reading jdubfan's take, I would much rather see it from that angle. Thanks for sharing that.
    He sings it high, he plays it low

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TimothyBFan View Post
    Just my 2 cents, and I won't go into great detail because I really haven't had a chance to listen more than a few times. So far, tho, I have to say my fave 3 are Wrecking Ball, Lucky That Way and of course, Analog Man. Least fave is Spanish Dancer.

As for Family, I have to say this song kind of bothers me. I have to wonder what his family is thinking about that.
    The 2nd verse:

WTH?!?! I think if I was one of his kids or ex wives, I'd be all over that. Maybe you had it before, buddy, but was to messed up to realize it. Sorry, that sounds harsh but this song really got me the first time I heard it, went back and listened again. Not sure how I truly feel about it. Think it's pretty harsh and a heck of a way to alienate any family. JMO.
    I won't speak about the ex-wives since I don't know the situation. All I know is I drank too much when I was married and when I got divorced, I no longer felt the need to drink. But that's my story and maybe not Joe's!

When I heard the song and read the lyrics, I took it to mean that the family he is talking about is the entire family. He 'found' them once he got sober. He's talked a lot about having to learn to do everything sober and I imagine that once he was sober for some amount of time, his own children were like different people to him and he had to relearn those relationships and get to know them as people all over again. When he did, and that wouldn't be an overnight process, he's 'found' the relationships are now what they should be.

Maybe I'm just optimistic. I find it hard to believe he meant the lyrics in a negative way.
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by TimothyBFan View Post

The 2nd verse:

TBF have to agree with you about his song "Family" I was disturbed by what he was saying there. He has children (I'm not sure how many) from previous wives & I can't imagine how they must feel about hearing those lyrics!! He did have family, but yeah, he was too messed up to even notice them or take the time to cherish their relationship. I really feel for those kids, even the ex-wives, who I'm sure must have loved him at some point. I'm glad Joe has straightened himself out, but that doesn't take away the pain he must have caused those kids. I wonder how he treats them now, or what kind of relationship they have. When you're growing up, your dad means the world to you, & I hope Joe has tried to mend those fences, but the pain never really goes away. Hope they forgive him, but it's still a sad story.

I'm an optimist too VA. I tend to agree with your take on it.

Brooke has started a thread about the song Family and this exact topic.
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

I still have mixed feelings about this song. He has been sober for many years, I believe he said that he became sober right before the Eagles reunited for the HFO tour. He said in an interview that I believe it was Glenn & Don who did an intervention & helped save him & become sober. They wanted to reunite & do the HFO tour, but they told Joe he had to be sober!!! Go listen to the Howard Stern interview because he talks about it there. So this family song is about his marriage & family with Marjorie. I do wonder how his other children feel about it. I hope Marjorie has helped him have a better relationship with his children, but I believe the family he's talking about in the song is the people she has brought into his life, not his previous family. That is my interpretation of the song.