Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Joe's new song, Family

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

Default Re: Joe's new song, Family

Somewhere on this board is a link to an article where this question is asked. Here's the question and his reply and I'm not the one with the improper use of the word right/write (where do these 'journalists' go to school?)

Am I write in thinking the lyrics to your song “Family” imply religious leanings?

Spiritual maybe. I got married three years ago and along with my wife I have this big family that’s very close. It’s a dynamic I’ve never been around and I’m learning. It’s a different way of looking at the world. There’s this community I’m part of and I have to interact whether I want to or not. I was always kind of a loner and, of course, in my darker days I isolated a lot, never got in a relationship that worked therefore never got close to in-laws but this is whole big family, it’s opened me up. I used to think I was so different and unique and the exception to the rule and no-one understood. They all understand and now I’m part of something.

ETA: The whole article is here...
    http://www.theartsdesk.com/new-music...ions-joe-walsh
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by jdubfan View Post
    Since I obviously don't personally know Joe or his family, this is speculation from 40+ years of listening/reading interviews and from other things with which I have experience. This isn't so much about Joe's family, it's more about Joe and his ability to bond and have relationships. He's spoken about being physically separated from friends and family all the years on the road, then mentally separated from the affects of addiction. Isolating, a common addiction problem, so he was checked out most of the time. This no doubt was hard on his marriages and kids. And was the reason exes became exes and why friends, other relationships were lost.

Tried it before, never felt right
    I never dreamed that someday I might
    Be part of something bigger than me
    It makes me feel humble, finally I see

Then when you become sober, all those relationships change again. Some are repaired, some are lost, amends are made, and starting life over begins. Now, with the recovery that he's achieved, he can mentally and physically connect, be a husband, father, family member 'cause he's plugged in and available and not hiding in a bottle.

Give thanks, take time to say that I'm
    So grateful for all that surrounds me
    We laugh, we cry, stand together that's why
    It's all being part of a family

Lucy's media was very positive and pro Joe about this new music, so I'm guessing she understood what was being said in this song. I don't remember what ages his boys are or how much they understand all the dynamics of things, but I've heard Joe say at the end of a few interviews Hello to them and that he loves them. I'm guessing that's not just for show. Honesty is the most important part of recovery and he seems intent on that.

I think it's lovely, very heartfelt song, with very naked and tender feelings. So happy he can have this kind of insight now. Proof that it's never too late for love, acceptance and to start over. That's my take on it.
    I have now heard the song (my copy arrived yesterday) & I wish to state that I agree with this, but as yet I am not a great fan of the song itself in terms of its music.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Well, often times lyrics are open to interpretation, and everyone brings their own life experiences in the way they interprete things. But, we can't ignore what the songwriter has to say about the song. Like VA said in another thread, I don't believe that Joe meant this to be negative - he says it is a spiritual song. We also know that his daughter Lucy is certainly comfortable with the song. I think Joe realizes that the reason he was unable to feel a connection to family before now is not because of the people he loved at the time - I believe he is acknowledging that the problem was him, and this acknowledgement may even be his way of apologizing to those that he drove away or did not nuture properly before he got sober. This admission is kind of his 'chicken soup for the soul'. In 'One Day At a Time', he says "I finally had to admit that I was the problem".

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

I'm an optimist also. I don't see where that has anything to do with interpreting music lyrics. But I'm also a realist and know things aren't always sunshine and roses. These lyrics just seem negative to me but after reading what VA posted, it sheds some light on it.

Thanks for posting that, VA. That actually makes me feel better because he is pretty much admitting it was himself that kept him from connecting with the family then and that he is trying to make amends now. I do believe he's talking about his "whole" family and not just the ones Marjorie brought into the picture.
    He sings it high, he plays it low

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

I wish I knew how to bring the discussion in the other thread over here so we wouldn't have to reply in two threads.

Any of you mods know how to do this?
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Brooke - I'm working now, but I can take care of this later this evening.

ETA: I moved the posts about this song from the other thread here. Willie, I took the liberty of merging your last two posts because they were kind of the same - I didn't change any of the content, just deleted a duplicate sentence so it didn't look like you were repeating yourself.
    Last edited by Ive always been a dreamer; 06-19-2012 at 09:16 PM.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Don't have time to elaborate now but I found the lyrics about finally having a family that matters - implying the others didn't matter to him, even if it was due to his alcoholism - to be very sad. If I were one of his other kids, I would feel pretty hurt. I mean, I guess they kind of figured out how things stood as they were growing up, but it must not be fun to hear him say it.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

Leaving shortly to do some running but had to pop on here and tell you what just happened.

Larry had to run up to the hardware store to pick up some plywood so he took my truck to bring it home. I have Analog Man in the player. He came in the house when he returned while I was folding clothes and said, "Joe Walsh must be married and starting over with a new family? I thought you told me he has kids already?" I told him yes, etc... Asked him how he knew that (knowing he must be listening to Family). He told me he heard a couple of songs that played when he was gone and that the last song was about that. I told him how we'd all been discussing this. Asked him what he thought of the song. Said it sounded like he's really happy... now. Said gathered wasn't so happy in the past.

For what it's worth, he really liked the songs he heard.
    He sings it high, he plays it low