Thread: Eagles opening for Fleetwood Mac in 1977?

Default Eagles opening for Fleetwood Mac in 1977?

Hello,

I'm not sure if this belongs in this section or not. I looked in "singing for the sake of the song" but I couldn't tell if I should put it there.

Anyhow, I'm reading a book from Carol Ann Harris who was the girlfriend of Lindsey Buckingham. She mentions in her book that the Eagles opened up for Fleetwood Mac on their Rumors tour in 1977. I don't know if this is accurate since the Eagles were on top with Hotel California at that time. In fact I believe they were in competition with Fleetwood during Grammys and the AMA's that year. I'm getting the sense that Carol Ann is a bit of a storyteller so I'm not sure how accurate her retelling is.

Anyone can clear it up?

Thanks.

Default Re: Eagles opening for Fleetwood Mac in 1977?

I have that book. She's a bit confused. The Eagles never opened for Fleetwood Mac. We actually have a topic on her book here:

https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/...read.php?t=430

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Thanks Soda. I had a feeling someone might have covered this. As I suspected this book IMO is pretty much read with caution. It had so many missing pieces in the story it doesn't make sense but I'll finish reading it just to see how she says it ends.

Out on the Border

Sure, this is an old thread, but I gotta set it straight. I saw The Eagles open for Fleetwood Mac in Indianapolis, without question. Yeah, I was suprised as well. But it happened.

Banned

Welcome SevevT7

Sadly, in the age of the internet, "I was there" evidence needs some sort of documentative support to be believed

I don't know why it's so unbelievable that the Eagles would open for Fleetwood Mac, especially since the author wrote that it was for "a small part of the Rumours tour" (although I'm not sure what she means by that-- for a few dates?). FM was huge at that time. Not only did their album hit #1 just like Hotel California, it spent 199 weeks in the charts vs. 108 for HC. I'm not disputing what anyone says here, I'm just saying it is feasible that for logistical or whatever reasons, the Eagles could have opened for FM a few times.

I guess I also feel badly for someone whose first post gets met with outright skepticism.
    Last edited by Delilah; 08-28-2016 at 01:51 PM.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

I tend to agree that it is unlikely that the Eagles ever opened for Fleetwood Mac. In 1976/1977, both of these bands were huge so if they played together, it was probably as a shared headliner billing. I did a web search and found very little, but even what I did find is conflicting info. So, it's no wonder that there is confusion and misinformation.

This excerpt claims that the two bands only played together once in Foxboro, MA in July, 1976 with no mention of the billing:

If you know your music history, the two have only ever played together once, on July 25, 1976, at Schaefer Stadium in Foxboro, MA. The Eagles had just released their now-iconic greatest hits album and Fleetwood Mac were touring behind their second eponymous album, with Stevie Nicks and Lindsey Buckingham, who at the time were new members! There’s a little rock history for you.
    http://consequenceofsound.net/2009/1...ay-it-aint-so/

And then, this obituary for Glenn earlier this year claims that Fleetwood Mac actually opened for the Eagles in Pittsburgh in 1976:

Another two years later, after scoring two chart-topping hits — “One of These Nights” (the title track to their first No. 1 album) and “The Best of My Love” — plus “Lyin’ Eyes” and “Take it to the Limit,” the Eagles were big enough to headline Three Rivers Stadium in 1976 before 37,000-plus with openers Fleetwood Mac and Boz Scaggs. They were sporting a new guitarist for that one, Joe Walsh from the James Gang, who brought an additional rock edge to the band.
    http://www.post-gazette.com/ae/music...s/201601180156

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Thank you for the info, Dreamer. I thought I read somewhere that FM opened for the Eagles at some point (it may have been the linked article you provided). A shared headliner billing makes sense.

They did play together as co-headliners a couple of times - could you maybe have seen them at a festival or something, SevevT7? Welcome, BTW!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten