Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Eagles 40th Anniversary

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Default Re: Eagles 40th Anniversary

Quote Originally Posted by BBKron View Post
    Well, of course, I join everyone else in saying Happy 40th Anniversary!

It really is an amazing thing, 40 years, and it is especially amazing to me, because I have been following them for every one of those 40 years!

I can still remember the first time I ever heard them on the radio, when 'Take It Easy' was released as single, and responding immediately to the brightness and freshness of the sound, style, and harmony vocals, wondering 'Who are these guys?'. Of course at that time they were generally introduced as being a new band composed primarily of members from Linda Ronstadt's back-up band, but I knew right away that this was a group to watch. I do have to admit that I was much less impressed with their follow-up single 'Witchy Woman' at the time, and that did keep me from buying the album right away. But after I did hear the whole album (from a friend), I was hooked on them for good. But what really made the group stand out as one of the best ever for me was their next 2 albums, Desperado and On The Border, 2 of my all-time favorite albums.

Anyway, now that the big 40th Anniversary is finally officially here, we need to do something special to commemorate it. One thing I recommend is that we compile an official The Border 40th Anniversary Top 40 Eagles Songs. Now, I know we have already made all kinds of lists, rankings, and preferences over the years, of albums, songs, etc. But this would be conducted specirfically for the 40th Anniversary, and represent our collective frame of mind right now. I suggest we conduct this by having each member who wants to contribute, submit their list of their own personal favorite TOP 20 Eagles songs. After sufficient time (2 weeks), these will be compiled to determine the ultimate list of top 40 songs (with ranks determined in the usual way - #1 on a persons list would be worth h 20 points, #2-19 points, etc.). Because there are so many different tastes and favorites, it will not be difficult at all to come up with a top 40 list based on each persons top 20 selections, and will keep the individual lists a bit more manageable.

So, Soda, Dreamer, what do you say? Is this a workable (and fun) idea and exercise, to conduct a new poll to determine everyone's all-time favorite songs and compile a Top 40 for the $0th anniversary? Let's do it (but should probably start a new thread for it)!

I think this sounds like a great idea, BBKron, now that we have completed a ‘Border’ poll for each of the band’s studio albums. But then, I was reminded that we missed the On the Border album so I’m going to go back and start that now since I am a completist. Hopefully, we will get a lot of participation, but it’ll be a fun exercise no matter what. Since this is your idea, feel free to start a new thread whenever you want, and I’ll be glad to track and compile the results. Or if you prefer, I can start the new thread.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

Oooh, FUN!!!!
    He sings it high, he plays it low

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

I like!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

According to the Simon Mayo show I just listened to, today is the 40th anniversary of Eagles lp in England. It was released this day 40 years ago. So our guys another birthday shout-out.
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

I love the Top 20 idea. I'll get thinking (and listening!)

It goes without saying how much I love this band and how much of an impact their music has had on me. As soon as I watched HFO, I fell in love with the songs, first and foremost. (Okay, a certain blue-eyed drummer and his voice might have heightened the impact...) But I was really amazed that a song like Wasted Time was written by twenty-something guys. They were definitely wise beyond their years. The band has been criticised for being "too serious", but I think all of the members are deep personalities in one way or another and that shows in their lyrics. The emotional effect that a song like Lyin' Eyes or Take It To The Limit has on the audience is tangible at a live show. There is magic in the air when those harmonies get going...

you better put it all behind you, baby, 'cause life goes on
    you keep carrying that anger, it'll eat you up inside--

Quote Originally Posted by Troubadour View Post
    As soon as I watched HFO, I fell in love with the songs, first and foremost. (Okay, a certain blue-eyed drummer and his voice might have heightened the impact...)
    Same here, Troub! HFO was when I really fell in love with the Eagles... and Don Henley. To this day, watching the old VHS tape I have of the concert still makes me so incredibly happy and brings back so many childhood memories. That's the power of the Eagles, I suppose!
    ~ Tori
    https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/downloads/images/henley24.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Ive always been a dreamer View Post
    I think this sounds like a great idea, BBKron, now that we have completed a ‘Border’ poll for each of the band’s studio albums. But then, I was reminded that we missed the On the Border album so I’m going to go back and start that now since I am a completist. Hopefully, we will get a lot of participation, but it’ll be a fun exercise no matter what. Since this is your idea, feel free to start a new thread whenever you want, and I’ll be glad to track and compile the results. Or if you prefer, I can start the new thread.
    Dreamer,
    If you don't mind, maybe you should go ahead and start it in a new thread introducing the concept and process. It may be more 'official' and get more responses coming from a moderator. I don't really need to get 'credit' for the idea, it's just an interesting and fun exercise for all of us. thanks.

BBKron
    BBKron

Check out my music blog, the BB Chronicles at http://bbchron.blogspot.com

Sounds good, BBKron. I'm pretty sure me starting the thread won't make it any more official, but I'll be glad to do it. I'll wait another day or so before starting it so that everyone can begin working on their Top 20 list.

Stuck on the Border

Thanks for posting that link, FP. Hopefully, those members who participated in that thread can use their list as a starting point, and then just put the songs in the order of their favorite to least favorite to post in the new thread I started for the poll that BBKron suggested.