Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast

Thread: Celebration of "Analog Man"

Default Re: Celebration of "Analog Man"

Exactly where I was going with that..Happy Friday

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Visitor View Post
    I prefer Joe's 2 albums from the 90's over any of his albums from the 80's. They were spotty at best. Even Joe thinks that the 80's were a waste of time.

I liked most of the songs on Analog Man. The only thing I really dislike about the album is that it sounds like a Joe Wilbury album. No more Jeff Lynne please and no Mark Knopfler. At this point I'd rather see him work w/the Foo Fighters than sound like another artist from the 70's - 80's.
    There was a leading guitarist who said his favourite Walsh album was There Goes The Neighborhood. Thought it was Steve Lukather, I'm wracking my brain now

Quote Originally Posted by Guitar Player Magazine January 2014

What of Joe Walsh sticks out to you most?

Steve Lukather
    Oh, God, everything Joe’s ever done, from the first James Gang album to “Analog Man.” I’ve got it all. I’m a Walsh fanatic. I love Joe, and he’s one of the nicest guys on planet Earth. He’s a bud, and he’s a friend. I was so excited that we got to play on the same song. We did Don Henley’s “Dirty Laundry”—we both had solos on that tune. I was so excited to play on a track with Walsh—it’s like childhood hero s**t coming true.
    Oh, God, everything Joe’s ever done, from the first James Gang album to “Analog Man.” I’ve got it all. I’m a Walsh fanatic. I love Joe, and he’s one of the nicest guys on planet Earth. He’s a bud, and he’s a friend. I was so excited that we got to play on the same song. We did Don Henley’s “Dirty Laundry”—we both had solos on that tune. I was so excited to play on a track with Walsh—it’s like childhood hero s**t coming true.
    All Joe's post Eagles albums, including But Seriously Folks, have too much vocal and not enough instrumental, IMHO.
    Without India, which was specially requested by Irv Azoff, Analog Man would be bereft of instrumental interludes barring the mood interrupting, jarring section during Spanish Dancer (Sounds similar to Zeon's Nightime In The Switching Yard) and both of those are more rhythmic than emotional or melodious diversions.

One thing I don't like that Joe retains from the analog days is a resistance to turn up the bass.
    Too much bass on an LP would make the needle jump. One of Joe's (and Bill Szymczyk's) great skills was an ability to make his records sound powerful despite the restrictions on bass levels but with digital (and live music) you can turn the bass up to room shaking volume.

I think Joe needs to find a modern producer who knows how to mix the music with the bass up loud. Brian Eno's a very interesting producer, I love the sound of Ringo's self produced last album. Previously mentioned, Steve Lukather's pretty good too, Richard Marx or Joe Vitale. Foo Fighters production, I'm not sure about. I daren't mention MK.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Funk 50 View Post
    There was a leading guitarist who said his favourite Walsh album was There Goes The Neighborhood. Thought it was Steve Lukather, I'm wracking my brain now

All Joe's post Eagles albums, including But Seriously Folks, have too much vocal and not enough instrumental, IMHO.
    Without India, which was specially requested by Irv Azoff, Analog Man would be bereft of instrumental interludes barring the mood interrupting, jarring section during Spanish Dancer (Sounds similar to Zeon's Nightime In The Switching Yard) and both of those are more rhythmic than emotional or melodious diversions.

One thing I don't like that Joe retains from the analog days is a resistance to turn up the bass.
    Too much bass on an LP would make the needle jump. One of Joe's (and Bill Szymczyk's) great skills was an ability to make his records sound powerful despite the restrictions on bass levels but with digital (and live music) you can turn the bass up to room shaking volume.

I think Joe needs to find a modern producer who knows how to mix the music with the bass up loud. Brian Eno's a very interesting producer, I love the sound of Ringo's self produced last album. Previously mentioned, Steve Lukather's pretty good too, Richard Marx or Joe Vitale. Foo Fighters production, I'm not sure about. I daren't mention MK.
    Mention him all you like. He produces his own albums. He doesn't produce other people. He probably wouldn't be right for Joe in this regard. I maintain it would be interesting to hear the two of them play guitar together & that is where I will leave it.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

I have to say that I stand by my comments about this album that I made when it came out in 2012. I still think is one of Joe's best solo efforts ever. It is still uniquely Joe - but with a much more, sober, mature, and reflective tone. For the most part, I enjoy Jeff Lynne's contributions to the album. Re: Mark Knopfler and Joe teaming up, I think it would make for a very interesting collaboration.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Banned

I'm looking forward to Joe's next album. Not his blues collaboration project, all though I'm sure that'll be creditable but his next music under his own name. I'm hoping his reunion with Barnstorm produces something tangible.

Whatever it is, I hope it stirs the emotions. I'd be mighty disappointed if it turned out to be merely interesting.

Joe's adventure with the Foo Fighters was interesting and then some. I wont make a habit of listening to it though.

Quote Originally Posted by Funk 50 View Post
    I'm looking forward to Joe's next album. Not his blues collaboration project, all though I'm sure that'll be creditable but his next music under his own name. I'm hoping his reunion with Barnstorm produces something tangible.

Whatever it is, I hope it stirs the emotions. I'd be mighty disappointed if it turned out to be merely interesting.

Joe's adventure with the Foo Fighters was interesting and then some. I wont make a habit of listening to it though.
    I can't wait for his blues collaboration!! Joe doing what Joe wants to do. Couldn't get any better then that!

Wintertime is a razor blade that the devil made
    It's the price we pay for the summertime - J.W. '69

I was perhaps unduly dismissive of his early 90s work; I respect that it has its fans. Joe is so versatile that it's no surprise how diverse opinions of his work are!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    I was perhaps unduly dismissive of his early 90s work; I respect that it has its fans. Joe is so versatile that it's no surprise how diverse opinions of his work are!
    Joe's record company were so dismissive of his early eighties post Eagles material, he wondered whether they'd notice if he slipped a track named, I Like Big Tits (I.L.B.T.s) onto one of his records.

They didn't!
    Last edited by Funk 50; 03-02-2015 at 05:59 PM.

Happy 3rd Birthday to Analog Man. I like a few songs from this album.

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Three years already?!

I like several of them too. Analog Man the most!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten