Page 240 of 273 FirstFirst ... 140190230236237238239240241242243244250 ... LastLast
Results 2,391 to 2,400 of 2722

Thread: Discussion of Eagles Documentary "History of the Eagles"

Stuck on the Border MaryCalifornia's Avatar

Default Re: Discussion of Eagles Documentary "History of the Eagles"

Thanks.

Irving: "VoL had been recorded with Felder as the lead vocalist." So that answers that question. He wasn't just sitting around singing the song, Circle-of-Fear style.

Agree UTW it is backing vocals. Is that Randy singing so high? Henley?

Quote Originally Posted by UndertheWire View Post
    Something similar happened with me, except it was a couple of seasons of "House" in HD. Worse still, I lost the BBC concert.

I've listened again to the VOL part of the doc and I think they play the track with backing vocals but no lead vocal, so I was wrong to think it was Felder.

It's about 33 minutes into this.
    You are right. I went back and listened, and it's just the backing track until they get to the part where Felder says that Irving told him that the band felt the song would be better with Henley singing the lead. At that point, Don starts singing, and it continues until the end of the segment. At no point can you hear Felder singing the lead.

Stuck on the Border

I think it's amazing that we can still go back to the doc and hear new things. Also, it shows that sometimes we hear what we expect to hear, so it's good to be challenged.

Silvermoon, I just want to say thanks for sticking up for Don Felder and posting the links. It helps to open my eyes and ears.

Quote Originally Posted by MaryCalifornia View Post
    Thanks.

Irving: "VoL had been recorded with Felder as the lead vocalist." So that answers that question. He wasn't just sitting around singing the song, Circle-of-Fear style.

Agree UTW it is backing vocals. Is that Randy singing so high? Henley?
    It may even be Glenn up there too. Those are the backing vocals to the Felder-sung version

RE: VOL vocals:
    Thanks to everyone who looked into this. I think the final consensus is that the snippet in HOTE was a backing track with no lead vocal. Which leads to my next HOE question (I have many).

It looks like their studio recordings are done in several ways. Some of the shots are all of them playing in the same room at the same time but I've read that the Eagles did a lot of dubbing and a lot of vocal punching. How does it work if everyone is in the same room playing? Do their individual microphones just pick up the individual's playing and vocal to be edited later? How do they stop the red over? Don Henley is notorious for vocal punching to the point that syllables, not even whole words were replaced. Working on TLR the rest if the band said he was going to marry the board he spent so much time on it.

I don't know how recording really works. If someone knows about recording studios I would love to converse off line with you

Quote Originally Posted by Raven Hair View Post
    It looks like their studio recordings are done in several ways. Some of the shots are all of them playing in the same room at the same time but I've read that the Eagles did a lot of dubbing and a lot of vocal punching. How does it work if everyone is in the same room playing? Do their individual microphones just pick up the individual's playing and vocal to be edited later? How do they stop the red over? Don Henley is notorious for vocal punching to the point that syllables, not even whole words were replaced. Working on TLR the rest if the band said he was going to marry the board he spent so much time on it.
    Yes individual microphones pick up individual instruments. There might be some leakage from other instruments but a good engineer knows how to use it advantageously. I pretty much doubt that the Eagles ever recorded vocals simultaneously with the instruments. Not very many artists do that, just people like Neil Young.

Border Troubadour

Just noticed Linda sings Nightingale as they talk about going on the road and how well Don and Glenn jam together, you really do see something new every time!

I can watch it over and over and catch something new each time. I bought the DVD and then hubby put it on my tablet so I can carry it with me. I take it to my chemo and listen with ear buds.

Out on the Border

I have watched HOTE many many times. I always come away with the same feelings. To much Don and Glenn when they were young and none of the other original members childhoods were mentioned at all. I felt that Randy and Bernie did not get to say much at all and they were not given the airtime to really express why they left. Felder got his say but it was always countered by Don and Glenn. I like the second parts about Tim and Joe but again not enough about them and to much about Don and Glenn's solo careers. This has been a band for over 30 years and I feel like it should have been about the Eagles and not just Don and Glenn. I am new to this board and I am sure that my opinion is not in the majority but this is my opinion about HOTE. I hope everyone has a good evening.

Border Troubadour

One thing I did wonder about the lack of Meisner's input (Bernie got a fair bit around the Desperado segment) is could this be to do with his health? Obviously he's very quiet and reserved anyway but I wonder if his health led him to say even less (perhaps out of either not wanting to be filmed or not being able to sustain such). I don't want to speculate about his personal circumstances but it has been well-documented on here that he hadn't been well over the past couple of years, and it pains me to say it but he didn't look in brilliant health on the DVD either.

(None of the above is meant to offend etc, it is merely my take on the matter.)