Page 188 of 273 FirstFirst ... 88138178184185186187188189190191192198238 ... LastLast
Results 1,871 to 1,880 of 2722

Thread: Discussion of Eagles Documentary "History of the Eagles"

Default Re: Discussion of Eagles Documentary "History of the Eagles"

I was one of those people who didn't like Glenn after the documentary. Actually I didn't like Glenn before the documentary. I really wasn't into his music back in the 80s, but than again, I was a toddler and going into elementary school when Don and Glenn were huge in the 80s.

I'm starting to like Glenn. I started to understand why he was like that back in the 70s, how he is today and his decision he's made with Don for so many stuff that happened. I understand now that Glenn is the boss. That's his band. Don is his left hand man and makes decisions with Glenn, but Glenn is the one who gets the final say so. I have respect for Glenn and even Don Henley(who I also didn't like after the documentary).

Out on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by shunlvswx View Post
    I was one of those people who didn't like Glenn after the documentary. Actually I didn't like Glenn before the documentary. I really wasn't into his music back in the 80s, but than again, I was a toddler and going into elementary school when Don and Glenn were huge in the 80s.

I'm starting to like Glenn. I started to understand why he was like that back in the 70s, how he is today and his decision he's made with Don for so many stuff that happened. I understand now that Glenn is the boss. That's his band. Don is his left hand man and makes decisions with Glenn, but Glenn is the one who gets the final say so. I have respect for Glenn and even Don Henley(who I also didn't like after the documentary).
    Funny how things can leave different impressions on people. Before HOTE I considered myself an Eagles hater, for no other reason than the idea that it's "uncool to like the Eagles". I now know that's a pile of cr@p, but I digress. So, one day I am trapped in the bedroom with my dogs because the interior of the house is being painted, and I see that this doc is 3 hours long and I had time to kill. Well, within 3 hours I was completely converted. I watched the documentary again the next day. Parenthetically, the fact that 20 something Don Henley was so freaking hot also played a part..... Some of the songs, I now sheepishly admit, I never knew were Eagles songs (Those Shoes comes to mind)! As they played song after song after song, I could not believe how prolific and talented these guys were. I found both current and former Eagles to be thoughtful, articulate and funny. For a band to stay relevant after 41 years means that certain band leaders no doubt had to make unpopular decisions.

At any rate, and perhaps I'm showing my age, it highlighted the difference between the current and former state of popular music. I have an eclectic taste in music, and I love rap music and I like a lot of the current pop stuff, but there is no comparison to "old school". These guys not only crafted beautiful songs, but they could sing and play LIVE. Without AUTOTUNE! Or lip synching! No one does that now, not even the legitimately talented like Mariah Carey, who in her day could really, really sing. So, I'm converted.

I didn't start listening to 70s and 80s music until I got older. When I was in high school back in the 90s. I didn't start broaden my horizon with different types of music until 1994. The artist that came out when I was in elementary school in the 80s, I suddenly like. I knew of Glenn and Don, but I wasn't into their music. I was more into R&B and rap.

I remembered the Heat Is On from Beverly Hills Cops(even though I still haven't sat down and watched the whole movie). I was into Miami Vice, but I really don't remembered You Belong to the City or Glenn guest starring on the show. I used to watch Wiseguy and I remembered Glenn being on the show for an arc when he was starring next to Jerry Lewis, but I still didn't know know Glenn.

Don was the same way. I didn't like his music. I hated BOS. I remembered Don with the long hair and seeing HOTM on MTV. Still didn't know that Glenn and Don were part of a band.

Like I said earlier. I never really heard heard of the Eagles until HFO. I remembered watching that special on MTV either when it first came out or a year or two later. I don't remember which came first.

Growing up in this generation that's out now, I don't know what music has come to these days. I'm old school. Give me The Eagles, Fleetwood Mac, The Bee Gees or any singers or bands from the 70s and 80s.

I always said I was born in the wrong decade. I would had loved to been around in the 70s when bands or singers were at the height of their careers.
    Last edited by shunlvswx; 09-26-2013 at 04:42 PM.

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Kamie and shun, I'm glad you have come to your senses and now enjoy real music!

And have you bought the dvd set with the 76 concert in it? You will love it!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

I was just a kid in the 70's. Born in '67. The music of my youth was the best!! I still listen mostly to music from that era. I enjoy reading posts from those of you that are younger because you had such a different experience with this music then I did. I still remember hearing Hotel California for the first time on my mom's AM radio in her Gremlin!

As for bands that are considered "uncool".... how does that even happen? Backlash against their success I imagine. Whenever I hear the Eagles being vilified I'm reminded of the Bee Gees and how they were deemed uncool in about '79, same for Kiss. Cool or not, I still listen to all the above everyday on my Ipod.

What I really get from this Eagles documentary is that it was VERY, VERY well done. People that normally didn't like them learn to love them, etc..... I think I'll watch part 2 tonight. It's been a while. Truth is I could watch it everyday for a month.

Wintertime is a razor blade that the devil made
    It's the price we pay for the summertime - J.W. '69

Out on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Visitor View Post
    I was just a kid in the 70's. Born in '67. The music of my youth was the best!! I still listen mostly to music from that era. I enjoy reading posts from those of you that are younger because you had such a different experience with this music then I did. I still remember hearing Hotel California for the first time on my mom's AM radio in her Gremlin!

As for bands that are considered "uncool".... how does that even happen? Backlash against their success I imagine. Whenever I hear the Eagles being vilified I'm reminded of the Bee Gees and how they were deemed uncool in about '79, same for Kiss. Cool or not, I still listen to all the above everyday on my Ipod.

What I really get from this Eagles documentary is that it was VERY, VERY well done. People that normally didn't like them learn to love them, etc..... I think I'll watch part 2 tonight. It's been a while. Truth is I could watch it everyday for a month.
    Oh, I'm no youngster! One of my fondest memories as a kid in the 70's was laying on my grandmother's bed listening to "New Kid in Town" play over and over.....it was huge at the time and was in heavy rotation, and my grandmother's house was my 'happy place'. As I headed into High School peer pressure took over and I started to like punk and alternative music more, and the Eagles became, for whatever reason, 'uncool'. And that label was no doubt because of their success, both musically and financially. We have become a country that resents financial success. I'm very glad that I happened upon the documentary.

Quote Originally Posted by Brooke View Post
    Kamie and shun, I'm glad you have come to your senses and now enjoy real music!

And have you bought the dvd set with the 76 concert in it? You will love it!
    I don't have the DVD. I have the bootlegged DVD from Showtime that I recorded from. One day I'm going to buy the DVD.

Stuck on the Border

I really enjoyed all the personalities on show, particularly Glenn. How many documentaries of famous, successful people do you see where the subjects are as articulate, engaging and blunt? Of course everyone jumps on the upsets because it makes a good story, but take out the dramatic story-telling (thank you, Mr Frey) and it's pretty mild: a beer poured over someone's head, a smashed guitar, a lot of shouting.

I think after watching the documentary, I started to become fan fan of the band. I had a few songs on my mp3 player. I had NKIT, HC(both acoustic and original version. The acoustic version is still my favorite), BOML, OOTN, HT, and LR on my mp3 player, but I really really didn't get into them until after the documentary. I bought their HFO DVD(well actually VHS and converted to DVD) and F1 DVD which I watch almost always everyday at work along with HOTE).

The documentary was put together well. I wish their was more. Even though Glenn and Don left a bad impression on me, I started love them more and more as I continued to watch the documentary over and over and over and over again.

Don is my favorite Eagle with Joe close behind.

ETA: I just noticed I'm now over 100 post.

Out on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by UndertheWire View Post
    I really enjoyed all the personalities on show, particularly Glenn. How many documentaries of famous, successful people do you see where the subjects are as articulate, engaging and blunt? Of course everyone jumps on the upsets because it makes a good story, but take out the dramatic story-telling (thank you, Mr Frey) and it's pretty mild: a beer poured over someone's head, a smashed guitar, a lot of shouting.
    That's kind of what Don was saying...given the context of the times, it wasn't that crazy.