Page 236 of 273 FirstFirst ... 136186226232233234235236237238239240246 ... LastLast
Results 2,351 to 2,360 of 2722

Thread: Discussion of Eagles Documentary "History of the Eagles"

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Default Re: Discussion of Eagles Documentary "History of the Eagles"

I could have definitely done without the naked hippies! And less of Don and Glenn solo. And less about their early influences. Just mentioning who would have been enough.

More on LROOE for sure!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Border Troubadour

The fans singing OOTN remains to this day probably the worst thing I've ever seen in my life. It was horrendous.

Stuck on the Border MaryCalifornia's Avatar

Glad I'm not alone! I fast forward every time!

Also could've done without the group singing "Hotel California" in Singapore, or wherever that was (I have such a horrible memory), and the dude driving around singing "Already Gone" to illustrate that people listened to them on the radio after they broke up (duh).

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border

All those + Walden Woods. I also tend to skip "Hotel California".

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    Also could've done without the group singing "Hotel California" in Singapore, or wherever that was (I have such a horrible memory), and the dude driving around singing "Already Gone" to illustrate that people listened to them on the radio after they broke up (duh).
    Yes, that was pointless. We can imagine something like that in our heads, we don't have to SEE it. In general I don't like documentaries where the narrator says something and then follows a couple of seconds where someone is literally acting it. Like if the narrator says "then he was imprisoned" and after this we see a dark, black and white picture of a prison cell with someone entering it and then the cell door is closed with a loud "clonk" with lots of echo.

Border Troubadour

Yeah, I thought that sometimes too: when Joe (or one of them) mentioned coke and you saw it being spaced out with a card, or when Glenn's on about Long Night at Wrong Beach and someone smashes literally the world's cheapest guitar against a ladder. Needless.

How about when Glenn says that Jackson made some tea, and they show footage of a teapot blowing off steam? Creative, lol.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

I am brand new to the forum.

It appears this may be an unpopular opinion, but that's why they are called "opinions," right? History of the Eagles Part II? Definitely too short. I would have gladly set through another couple of hours (like Tom Petty's Runnin' Down a Dream) to hear them expand on the making of LROE. After spending that much time away from songwriting and taking that much time to work on the album, and it only got a 7 minute explanation?

Also, here's the unpopular part : I think the concentration pieces on Don and Glen throughout were wholly justified. They are the only two remaining original members of the band, it was their brainchild, they were responsible for a majority of the songwriting/singing, instrumentation, arranging, etc., and they took the reins of the band early. An interview with the band by Rolling Stone magazine that was printed just after the release of TLR, said that after the very first two or three rehearsals back in 1972, Don told Glen they were going to have to step up and take charge or nothing would get done. Glen's own argument of his and Don's solo careers keeping The Eagles relevant in the 80's is spot on, also. I would go so far as to say there could be an entire documentary on just Don and Glen's involvement in the band without all the filler of the other members.

Now I know, it takes a village...and the other revolving musicians were certainly influential and foundationally (ummm, maybe not really a word??) responsible for some of their most popular hits, i.e. Don Felder - Hotel California, but in the end, if each and every song did not have Don's obsessive production and Glen's critical ear, the truth is there would not have been the hit. As Don said, it would have just been another chord progression.

By the way, has anyone ever heard the full version of Don Felder singing Victim of Love?