Page 11 of 273 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314152161111 ... LastLast

Thread: Discussion of Eagles Documentary "History of the Eagles"

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Eagles Documentary DVD

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    The primary songwriter is usually the one who has contributed the most or, all other things being equal, the initiator.

Many people equate the word "melody" with the whole tune. However, when Henley is speaking of the melody, he's speaking of what the lead singer is doing. So, my understanding of this is that Felder provided the backing instrumentation which gave the guys something to play around with to come up with the rest to layer on top of it.

It was certainly not unreasonable for Felder to expect to have one lead per album. That was always what had happened prior to HC, including on OOTN. Everyone else got a lead on HC. I know Bernie, Glenn, Don H and Randy at the beginning established each would get at least one lead per album and since Felder was brought in as an equal, I imagine he had the idea he would be treated as such in every way.

Plus, while I think Felder's voice is rather generic, he is probably a better singer than Henley is a guitar player. Therefore, I think Henley's analogy was flawed, although it made me laugh. Truth be told, fairness aside, I'd still rather hear Henley sing it.

We've heard Don H snark on Felder before, but Glenn has kept quiet except for an even toned statement in an interview with his old friend Wuhl. Therefore, hearing the contempt for Felder reflected in a voice that is usually so pleasant was jarring if not unexpected. I daresay we will get more of that tonight!

I'm sorry; I am also doing multiple posts.

I would rather hear Glenn after all these years be honest about Felder rather than attempt to sugar coat his feelings.

I am still trying to digest what I have just seen because some of it was hard to handle. I have to say that I was a bit shocked by some of it. Kind of speechless right now.
    I was glad to see Stevie appear at the end with some comments on the band & the music. That was cool.

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

ah I loved it! Bittersweet! I did feel for Felder but you know he should have just let it be.

Fabulous show overall!

Maybe Steviie will be in more in the actual dvd.
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    Given that Felder quotes Glenn as saying those words, I can hardly be surprised or disappointed by it. He was saying that he thought Felder was 'cheap' and that it didn't surprise him that Felder would not smash an expensive guitar.
    Wasn't Felder saying that Glenn said it, Glenn said it on the doc last night.

Have to say, I was rather disappointed (not sure if that's actually the word I need to use) in what Glenn said about the whole Felder thing tonight. But when my husband, who knows nothing of any of the stories regarding it, looked at me during that part and said "what an ass", that spoke volumes to me.

Comic relief-- The part where Timothy is talking about people not recognizing him---Hubby says, he's never ran into you or I'd be reading the headline, "long haired rock star of the Eagles kidnapped by blonde in a black SUV".

Lot more respect for Joe for being so honest about how low he had sunk. It took a lot of courage to do that.

And love the fact that they talked about the How Long video and showed it and how Cindy found it online. YAY SODA!!!!!
    He sings it high, he plays it low

it was very hard to see Joe at his lowest...thank you God for bringing him back to us!!...

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by TimothyBFan View Post
    Wasn't Felder saying that Glenn said it, Glenn said it on the doc last night.

Have to say, I was rather disappointed (not sure if that's actually the word I need to use) in what Glenn said about the whole Felder thing tonight. But when my husband, who knows nothing of any of the stories regarding it, looked at me during that part and said "what an ass", that spoke volumes to me.

Comic relief-- The part where Timothy is talking about people not recognizing him---Hubby says, he's never ran into you or I'd be reading the headline, "long haired rock star of the Eagles kidnapped by blonde in a black SUV".

Lot more respect for Joe for being so honest about how low he had sunk. It took a lot of courage to do that.
    In Felder's book he directly quotes Glenn as saying 'you would break the cheapest guitar'. See page 211. The direct quote is 'typical of you to break your cheapest f***ing guitar'.

I'm sorry your husband feels that way about Glenn. Would you have preferred that he said nothing at all? For years, all we have heard is Felder's version & now when Glenn finally speaks he is slammed. He was angry. How else should he have behaved?

Absolutely fascinating. In its own way, this was just as good as Part 1.

Some glaring omissions: Henley's 1980 scandal (guess some things were off-limits even though much has been made about the guys being "hands off"), the Party of Two tour (the doc made it sound like Joe was completely isolated from them until HFO), Glenn's diverticulitis, and the lawsuit.

Glenn was startlingly blunt in his recounting of how the restructuring of contacts for HFO went down and the way he insisted that he and Don make more money. The phone call he made to Felder's representative was ice cold but like FP, I appreciate the honesty.

However, the whole decision to fire Felder was summarized by "we decided not to work with him anymore." Maybe legal restrictions were what caused them not even to say the word "lawsuit" in relation to Felder, but it was bizarre that its occurrence wasn't even mentioned.

The crying of Felder that was made so much of in reviews was really just him getting a bit teary-eyed and choked up when he talked about missing the music and friendships. Presumably he means hs friendship with Joe as that was the only person he actually was friends with at that point, right?

They talked about seeing How Long on YouTube, which made me squee, lol.

The most fascinating part for me: watching the band write "Get Over It." Amazingly cool insight into their process.

So, as before....

LOVED. IT.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

In Felder's book he directly quotes Glenn as saying 'you would break the cheapest guitar'. See page 211. The direct quote is 'typical of you to break your cheapest f***ing guitar'.

I'm sorry your husband feels that way about Glenn. Would you have preferred that he said nothing at all? For years, all we have heard is Felder's version & now when Glenn finally speaks he is slammed.
    Nobody is slamming him but I knew you'd think we were. Just stating what my husband's impression was when he saw that portion. And I have to agree, Glenn came off as very bitter and irate about it all. When you see it, I would like to see what you think.

And sorry if I misunderstood what you meant about Felder and the cheap guitar remark. I thought we were talking about what was said in the actual documentary.
    He sings it high, he plays it low

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    Absolutely fascinating. In its own way, this was just as good as Part 1.

Some glaring omissions: the Party of Two tour (it sounded like Joe was completely isolated for them until HFO), Glenn's diverticulitis, and the lawsuit.

Glenn was startlingly blunt in his recounting of how the restructuring of contacts for HFO went down and the way he insisted that he and Don make more money. The phone call he made to Felder was ice cold but like FP, I appreciate the honesty.

However, the whole decision to filer Felder was summarized by "we decided not to work with him anymore." Maybe legal restrictions were what caused them it even to say the wor d "lawsuit" in relation to Felder, it it was bizarre.

The crying of Felder that was made so much of in reviews was really just him getting a but teary-eyed and choked up when he talked about missing the music and friendships. Presumably he means hs friendship with Joe as that was the only person he actually was friends with, right?

They talked about seeing How Long on YouTube, which made me squee, lol.

The most fascinating part for me: watching the band write "Get Over It." Amazingly cool insight into their process.

So, as before....

LOVED. IT.
    So do I understand that Glenn does not talk about the firing process at all, just the new contractual arrangements?

Perhaps you should listen to his Road To Forever album. Surely you have heard Visions?

The answer is that in my opinion he does not have an effective singing voice. He can sing in tune, but he cannot 'sell' the song. Perhaps he is better singing live, where you can see what he is doing.
    I never bought it...guess I should before next week!