Page 58 of 273 FirstFirst ... 84854555657585960616268108158 ... LastLast

Thread: Discussion of Eagles Documentary "History of the Eagles"

Out on the Border

Default Re: Eagles Documentary "History of the Eagles"

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    Watching it again now. You know, Don Henley says that his father's life goal was to get Don a college education and his father scrimped and saved for 18 years to put Don through school, yet Don quit college a semester before graduating. He must have broken his daddy's heart. There's a story there... guess we'll have to wait until his autobiography to hear it.

I have to admit that I was hoping for more depth and intensity than we got when it came to talking about their childhoods/adolescences and less stock footage, but I guess there's only so much you can do in the time allotted and I understand they need to "set the scene."
    I think I heard or read that Don actual left college to be with his dad when he was sick and stayed with him until he died and never returned to college.

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    I do appreciate that Don Henley was professional enough not to want to get high in the studio back in 1972, but I guess he would change his tune in a few years!
    I noticed that and I've heard he never performed high either. Sounds like he knew how to control himself.

I would have liked to see more about Stevie Nicks and Don too. It's not that she's more important than their wives or more serious girlfriends but let's face it, nobody cares about wives or girlfriends no one's heard of, what we care about are the celebrity romances. Plus it's just a cool story to talk about Don flying her out just for a hook up. Don said in an interview she even got pregnant by him and had an abortion. I guess I can see why they wouldn't go there but they wouldn't have to mention it to talk about their relationship.

That's the kind of excesses that make entertaining television, and entertaining television is what we're talking about here, not what girl means the most to them but what girl is the most fun to hear about. They took the time to interview her and I bet they didn't even bother to interview the others, that tells you something right there.
    ~Sara

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Houston Debutante View Post
    I noticed that and I've heard he never performed high either. Sounds like he knew how to control himself.

I would have liked to see more about Stevie Nicks and Don too. It's not that she's more important than their wives or more serious girlfriends but let's face it, nobody cares about wives or girlfriends no one's heard of, what we care about are the celebrity romances. Plus it's just a cool story to talk about Don flying her out just for a hook up. Don said in an interview she even got pregnant by him and had an abortion. I guess I can see why they wouldn't go there but they wouldn't have to mention it to talk about their relationship.

That's the kind of excesses that make entertaining television, and entertaining television is what we're talking about here, not what girl means the most to them but what girl is the most fun to hear about. They took the time to interview her and I bet they didn't even bother to interview the others, that tells you something right there.
    I must disagree. I care about the 'wives that nobody's heard of' if they are making these men happy. Are they lesser people because they are not 'celebrities'? I speak for myself here; I find 'celebrity romances' tedious in the extreme.

The documentary was not supposed to be about this & I am not even sure why Stevie Nicks appeared at all. Her relationship with Don is irrelevant to the story of the band, whether it would have been 'entertaining' or not. It is not that they 'didn't bother' to interview the others you appear to dismiss so completely. It was never about the band's private lives.
    Last edited by Freypower; 03-07-2013 at 06:02 PM.

Stuck on the Border Thirsty&Hot's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    I must disagree. I care about the 'wives that nobody's heard of' if they are making these men happy. Are they lesser people because they are not 'celebrities'? I speak for myself here; I find 'celebrity romances' tedious in the extreme.

The documentary was not supposed to be about this & I am not even sure why Stevie Nicks appeared at all. Her relationship with Don is irrelevant to the story of the band, whether it would have been 'entertaining' or not. It is not that they 'didn't bother' to interview the others you appear to dismiss so completely. It was never about the band's private lives.
    I agree FP. I don't mind that they didn't talk about their personal lives. Though I actually would like to know more about the women that make these men happy (as you put it ), I don't think the History of the Eagles is the place for that. The doc is about the band and the music, not the romances. As they've said before, there's plenty left for their tell all autobiographies one day!

Stuck on the Border Thirsty&Hot's Avatar

Default Re: Felder Interviews and promotions

Don Felder: 'History of the Eagles' Isn't the Whole Story
    http://www.billboard.com/articles/ne...he-whole-story

OK so lets play a game.

What do you think would be a good title for their autobiographies?

Felder already did his: "Heaven and hell"

What about the rest of the guys?

Walsh: "Life in the Fast lane" sounds right.

Henley: "How I sued a guy for using his name, which happened to be the same as mine, on his website" But it is true! You guys remember this case? From what I recall a man named Don Henley had the domain DonHenley.com and Eagle Henley had lawyers send letters telling him to stop using DonHenley.com because that was his name. I thought that was messed up and only added to my image of Henley as a greddy guy. It was about 10 years ago...found this. Looks like the man was paralized, which makes it even worse. http://www.angelfire.com/tx3/netizen/tkname.html

The rest Im not sure...

PS: More on the Don Henley domain thing http://www.angelfire.com/tx3/netizen/tkupdate1.html

I don't know how all this ended.

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

That's all well and good, OMNJ, but I think the rules should be an actual line from a song! I remember a lot of discussion about the case you are talking about, but I thought I remembered that the guy was trying to pass himself off as our DH? I'll read the links you provided after I'm done working for the day.

So...maybe you want "Kick 'Em When They're Up, Kick 'Em When They're Down" as his book title?
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

For myself, I'm thinking Don's book title should be The Heart of the Matter.

Glenn's should be Soul Searchin'. Calling it The Allnighter would probably sell more.
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Quote Originally Posted by VAisForEagleLovers View Post
    For myself, I'm thinking Don's book title should be The Heart of the Matter.

Glenn's should be Soul Searchin'. Calling it The Allnighter would probably sell more.
    VA, those are perfect!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post

I didn't say that the wives are lesser people because they are not celebrities. Here is what I said:
    "It's not that she's more important than their wives or more serious girlfriends"
    So not only did I not say what you claim, I took care to say the exact opposite. I hope in the future you will read posts more carefully before you respond to them with completely unwarranted outrage.

When I said "nobody cares about wives or girlfriends no one's heard of" was in the context of entertainment. I thought that would be obvious from when I wrote "entertaining television is what we're talking about here, not what girl means the most to them but what girl is the most fun to hear about" but I guess you also missed that sentence of my post.

I do acknowledge that I should have said "your average viewer doesn't care about wife or girlfriends no one's head of." Hardcore fans will eat up just about anything, and I include myself in that, but the average viewer expects to be entertained.

Whether or not their personal lives should be discussed at all is a different issue, but if they can show multiple sequences about groupies and skinny dipping, I think they can do two minutes on the 'Love 'em and Lear 'em' episodes with Stevie Nicks because those illustrate the level of excess and detachment from reality what were a result of the band's phenomenal success.

This is only my opinion and people can legitimately disagree with me all they want ~ but disagree with what I actually posted and not some straw man distortion of it.
    ~Sara