Page 59 of 273 FirstFirst ... 94955565758596061626369109159 ... LastLast

Thread: Discussion of Eagles Documentary "History of the Eagles"

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

Default Re: Eagles Documentary "History of the Eagles"

Well, the skinny dipping wasn't even our guys, which was disappointing...

As most of you know, I do Twitter searches frequently, and the tweets I've seen have been illuminating. There have been a lot of people who have stated they weren't fans of the band and still weren't, but that it was a very good documentary. There have been even more that just simply said it was good, excellent, riveting, or 'stellar'.

There have been a lot that have made negative comments about Don and/or Glenn and their perceived arrogance. There have been a lot of negative comments about Felder. I can honestly say that as named individuals, there's been very little good said about any of them, except how they looked. LOTS of comments about how hot they all were in the 70's, especially Glenn.

Amazingly enough, I've only seen one negative comment about the movie itself, but my search criteria probably eliminates a lot of those views where only the movie itself is discussed. If it's too generic, I have to read every tweet about every wildlife preserve or every sports team with the name Eagles.
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Houston Debutante View Post
    I didn't say that the wives are lesser people because they are not celebrities. Here is what I said:
    "It's not that she's more important than their wives or more serious girlfriends"
    So not only did I not say what you claim, I took care to say the exact opposite. I hope in the future you will read posts more carefully before you respond to them with completely unwarranted outrage.

When I said "nobody cares about wives or girlfriends no one's heard of" was in the context of entertainment. I thought that would be obvious from when I wrote "entertaining television is what we're talking about here, not what girl means the most to them but what girl is the most fun to hear about" but I guess you also missed that sentence of my post.

I do acknowledge that I should have said "your average viewer doesn't care about wife or girlfriends no one's head of." Hardcore fans will eat up just about anything, and I include myself in that, but the average viewer expects to be entertained.

Whether or not their personal lives should be discussed at all is a different issue, but if they can show multiple sequences about groupies and skinny dipping, I think they can do two minutes on the 'Love 'em and Lear 'em' episodes with Stevie Nicks because those illustrate the level of excess and detachment from reality what were a result of the band's phenomenal success.

This is only my opinion and people can legitimately disagree with me all they want ~ but disagree with what I actually posted and not some straw man distortion of it.
    I realise that you were stressing the 'entertainment' aspect but after 'it's not that she's more important' came 'nobody cares about wives nobody has heard of' and 'they didn't bother to interview them'; and 'which 'girl' is the most fun to hear about'. Let's just spice it up because we - or you - have to be 'entertained'. I disagreed with what I considered to be your stress on what you consider entertaiment which therefore seemd to mean that celebrities like Stevie Nicks are more worthy of inclusion than 'unknowns'. However if you think I overreacted then I'm sorry.
    Last edited by Freypower; 03-08-2013 at 04:48 PM.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by OutlawManNJ View Post
    OK so lets play a game.

What do you think would be a good title for their autobiographies?

Felder already did his: "Heaven and hell"

What about the rest of the guys?

Walsh: "Life in the Fast lane" sounds right.

Henley: "How I sued a guy for using his name, which happened to be the same as mine, on his website" But it is true! You guys remember this case? From what I recall a man named Don Henley had the domain DonHenley.com and Eagle Henley had lawyers send letters telling him to stop using DonHenley.com because that was his name. I thought that was messed up and only added to my image of Henley as a greddy guy. It was about 10 years ago...found this. Looks like the man was paralized, which makes it even worse. http://www.angelfire.com/tx3/netizen/tkname.html

The rest Im not sure...

PS: More on the Don Henley domain thing http://www.angelfire.com/tx3/netizen/tkupdate1.html

I don't know how all this ended.
    In my opinion this should be a separate topic.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by VAisForEagleLovers View Post
    Well, the skinny dipping wasn't even our guys, which was disappointing...

As most of you know, I do Twitter searches frequently, and the tweets I've seen have been illuminating. There have been a lot of people who have stated they weren't fans of the band and still weren't, but that it was a very good documentary. There have been even more that just simply said it was good, excellent, riveting, or 'stellar'.

There have been a lot that have made negative comments about Don and/or Glenn and their perceived arrogance. There have been a lot of negative comments about Felder. I can honestly say that as named individuals, there's been very little good said about any of them, except how they looked. LOTS of comments about how hot they all were in the 70's, especially Glenn.

Amazingly enough, I've only seen one negative comment about the movie itself, but my search criteria probably eliminates a lot of those views where only the movie itself is discussed. If it's too generic, I have to read every tweet about every wildlife preserve or every sports team with the name Eagles.
    Most of the comments I have seen have ripped Glenn apart. Don Henley has got off very lightly indeed. After a while I stop reading them because I can only read about the genius of Hotel California so often.

Quote Originally Posted by OutlawManNJ View Post
    OK so lets play a game.

What do you think would be a good title for their autobiographies?

Felder already did his: "Heaven and hell"

What about the rest of the guys?

Walsh: "Life in the Fast lane" sounds right.

Henley: "How I sued a guy for using his name, which happened to be the same as mine, on his website" But it is true! You guys remember this case? From what I recall a man named Don Henley had the domain DonHenley.com and Eagle Henley had lawyers send letters telling him to stop using DonHenley.com because that was his name. I thought that was messed up and only added to my image of Henley as a greddy guy. It was about 10 years ago...found this. Looks like the man was paralized, which makes it even worse. http://www.angelfire.com/tx3/netizen/tkname.html

The rest Im not sure...

PS: More on the Don Henley domain thing http://www.angelfire.com/tx3/netizen/tkupdate1.html

I don't know how all this ended.
    These are interesting but not relevant to the documentary, and we try to keep things organized on the Border. It makes things easier to find if we have separate threads for separate topics.

If anyone would like to reply to the Don Henley domain dispute issue, please use the thread for that here instead of replying in this thread.

There is not currently a topic for the title game thing but you can create one and I'll move replies.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    Most of the comments I have seen have ripped Glenn apart. Don Henley has got off very lightly indeed. After a while I stop reading them because I can only read about the genius of Hotel California so often.
    Agreed. The vast majority of negative comments and tweets I have seen focus on Glenn. Don Henley gets criticized as well, but much less. Felder also gets comparatively little criticism. People often talk about how they feel sorry for him, especially at the moment when he gets all choked up. The fact that he was about to cry because he missed his friends as well as the music elicited a lot of pity.

Happily, there are a lot of positive tweets and comments as well. I think, overall, the documentary was good for the Eagles.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

I don't even bother reading comments from other sites. I am also hopeful that most folks will view the documentary positively. The Eagles are one of those polarizing bands - people either love 'em or hate 'em. I suspect that most fans who are already somewhat familiar with their story and had already formed opinions didn't change their mind based on the anything in the documentary. As many of us have already said, there really wasn't much in there that we didn't already know. I only know that the first time I watched it, I was with my sister, brother-in-law, niece, and nephew. None of them were more than casual fans, but all of their impressions were very positive and the film peaked their interest about the band. None of them seemed to be shocked at all about anything they saw or heard.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Some more screenshots! These take us to Tim joining the band: