Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Celebration of "Randy Meisner" (1978)

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

Default Re: Celebration of "Randy Meisner" (1978)

Val Garay. He was the engineer on the big Linda Ronstadt albums of the 70s.

Quote Originally Posted by scottside View Post
    I think he could've had a hit single if someone competent would've produced the album. Flat production really hurts potential radio play. Now, if whomever was responsible for ONE MORE TIME produced the first album, that would've been great!
    Mr. Scottside (if you're still here), you may or may not be aware that Randy's 1978 album has been remastered and released by the Friday Music label:
    https://fridaymusic.com/collections/...cording-master

The remastered version just started shipping late last week. I haven't heard it yet.

Border Rebel

Thanks, NMB. I have the old Wounded Bird issue which is just a flat master, nothing special done with it plus I bought a Japanese import way way back and that one did sound much better, but a new master would be something worth looking into. I think I have a few other things from that label already and they do respectable work.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by NightMistBlue View Post
    Mr. Scottside (if you're still here), you may or may not be aware that Randy's 1978 album has been remastered and released by the Friday Music label:
    https://fridaymusic.com/collections/...cording-master

The remastered version just started shipping late last week. I haven't heard it yet.
    Thanks for sharing the link NightMistBlue.

The text suggests that it's a remaster but doesn't actually state that it is. There's lot's of confusing or misleading sales jargon;

RANDY MEISNER | RANDY MEISNER CD (Limited Anniversary Edition/Original Recording Master)
    Friday Music is very pleased to announce the newly original recording master compact disc release of Randy Meisner. Impeccably mastered by Joe Reagoso
    this impeccably mastered Randy Meisner cd will become one of the highlight classic rock reissues this season.
    Mastered by Joe Reagoso from the original Asylum Records tapes at Friday Music Studios, the classic revisit of Randy Meisner will be one of the more anticipated classic singer/songwriter albums in some time.
    I really don't know what "newly original" means but "impeccably mastered by Joe Reagoso" isn't, impeccably remastered by Joe Reagoso, in my cynical opinion.

Albums that were/are mastered for vinyl, record players sound different (quieter) to albums mastered for digital formats, as too much vibration (ie bass) would knock the needle off the record. Early CD albums would have the same mastering as the vinyl originals. Once the industry discovered the profitability of remastering albums for the digital market, everything got a lot louder.

I reckon, RANDY MEISNER | RANDY MEISNER CD (Limited Anniversary Edition/Original Recording Master) is worth buying, at regular price, if you want it on CD.

I'm not familiar with Joe Reagoso's work but the audiophiles have strong opinions:
    http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/thread...-music.183048/

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/thread...-label.491234/

Funk 50, I also had the same question about "newly original recording master" as I stated in the "Former Eagles Solo CDs" thread. Despite my qualms over the bad reviews of Mr. Reagoso's mastering work, I pre-ordered the CD anyway. A review I read this a.m. says that it sounds really good so there's hope. Also, I received an email from Amazon early this a.m. that they're discounting the price to $13 and some change as part of their "lowest-price guarantee."

Right or wrong, what’s done is done
    It’s only moments that you borrow...

Sweet! Good ol' Amazon. Do you remember where you read the nice review, Delilah?

I read it in this link, from the same audiophile site you posted earlier. It's only a brief "review" but still encouraging.

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/thread...sic-cd.688705/

Grudging praise indeed! Referring to both the Meisner album and Felder's Airborne:

"The mastering is pretty good. No notes just a plain old reissue with a reproduction of the artwork. These came out August 4. No bonus tracks. Both are pretty good albums."

My CD arrived the day before yesterday and I love it! There are no issues with the sound (listening with my Realistic ANC headphones and Auvio metal buds). The artwork is nicely reproduced.