Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Celebration of "Randy Meisner" (1978)

Default Re: Celebration of "Randy Meisner" (1978)

Can't wait to get mine. Hopefully it comes in today!!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Delilah View Post
    My CD arrived the day before yesterday and I love it! There are no issues with the sound (listening with my Realistic ANC headphones and Auvio metal buds). The artwork is nicely reproduced.

Brilliant news Delilah.

I remember buying the LP from a dusty basement record shop in Manchester, a year or two after it was released. I approached the sales counter with a few LPs under my arm and I was informed by the sales assistant that I could have one more album for an extra 1p. Randy Meisner was the LP I chose. I loved the gate fold sleeve

At the time it seemed preposterous that the record industry would still have it on sale, almost 40 years later but here we are.

Quote Originally Posted by Funk 50 View Post
    Brilliant news Delilah.

I remember buying the LP from a dusty basement record shop in Manchester, a year or two after it was released. I approached the sales counter with a few LPs under my arm and I was informed by the sales assistant that I could have one more album for an extra 1p. Randy Meisner was the LP I chose. I loved the gate fold sleeve

At the time it seemed preposterous that the record industry would still have it on sale, almost 40 years later but here we are.
    Cool anecdote, Funk 50. It does seem odd that a low-selling, poorly received album by a 70s bass player would be re-issued not once, not twice but at least 3 times over the years. The guy must have some following.

Right or wrong, what’s done is done
    It’s only moments that you borrow...

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

I rec'd mine on Friday. I've been away and haven't had a chance to listen yet.

I wonder how much - if at all - the artists are involved or receive any kind of loot from these reissues? For example, I see that Don Felder's Facebook page didn't promote the release/remastering of Airborne by the same company. That may indicate he doesn't receive anything out of it. Am I assuming too much?

I don't much about the finances behind these reissues but surely the artists receive royalties of some kind, even if they didn't write the songs. In Felder's case I believe he wrote or co-wrote all his tracks do he would definitely get songwriter royalties.

Maybe Don isn't particularly proud of it. Or it's possible he didn't even know it was being reissued. He may not have any control over that.

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

OK, I listened to the remastered CD last night. My intitial reaction is: meh. Randy's vocals seem to be slightly buried. The drums are more prominent - usually a good thing in my book - but they sound "dead." The energy dynamic overall is sorely lacking.

Sadly, I prefer the original mix. There's a better balance among the instruments and Randy's vocals sound perfect. Even Randy has said Alan Brackett got a really good sound on his voice.

Really, I thought the sound was pretty good, except for "Bad Man"--that one seemed kind of dull, if that makes any sense. Then again, I'm no audiophile. I don't have the original cd or LP to compare to either.

I don't know if anybody knows this. I was looking up when Etta James recorded TITTL and I found something interesting. Wikipedia could be wrong, but they said David Cassidy sang back up on Take It To The Limit. I didn't know that. Of course if its true. Anybody know about this.

Brothers for life. RIP Glenn

I'm not sure I believe in fate, but I know that crossing paths with Glenn Lewis Frey in 1970 changed my life forever, and it eventually had an impact on the lives of millions of other people all over the planet. It will be very strange going forward in a world without him in it. But, I will be grateful, every day, that he was in my life. Rest in peace, my brother. You did what you set out to do, and then some." -Don Henley

Banned

I'm the proud owner of the 1978, Randy Meisner album on vinyl.

The musicians on Randy's lovely solo version of Take It To The Lmit are;
    Piano: John Hobbs
    Guitar: Jerry Swallow
    Backing Vocals: David Cassidy, Steven Scharf & Randy Meisner

Backing Vocals for Please Be With Me are credited to the late, great, David Cassidy and "rockitboy" himself, Donny Ullstrom

You can treat yourself to a listen at;
    https://1pleer.com/mp3/Randy%20meisner

That’s great, Funk 50!

Quote Originally Posted by shunlvswx View Post
    I don't know if anybody knows this. I was looking up when Etta James recorded TITTL and I found something interesting. Wikipedia could be wrong, but they said David Cassidy sang back up on Take It To The Limit. I didn't know that. Of course if its true. Anybody know about this.
    I mentioned in David’s RIP thread that he sang backing vocals on Randy’s first solo album.