Thread: Don Felder to play for VIPs at GOP Convention in Tampa next week

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

Default Re: Don Felder to play for VIPs at GOP Convention in Tampa next week

Page 2 of the actual interview with Mitt and Anne Romney...the section on having a friend in the Eagles is under the 'Like What?' question.

http://www.parade.com/news/2012/08/2...s.html?index=2
    VK

I have to wonder if Don Felder is really the 'friend in the Eagles' mentioned in the article. If he's playing the GOP convention, he'd hardly 'die to be mentioned'. But the interview was done back in July, so maybe.
    VK

Yeah, I found that confusing, too. I read "die to be mentioned" as a positive, like "eager to be mentioned" - you know, when you say something like, "I'd die to be his girlfriend!" I also read it that way because it seems to be a counter to Romney's statement that the Eagle in question (among others) might refuse to play. Of course, she could have been joking, or could have been using "die" more in the sense of "die of embarrassment."

I've never been much interested in the political views of celebrities and I find celebrity stumping for politicians to be insulting to the intelligence of constituents ("Don't know who to vote for? Well, you like my music/movies/TV show, right? Vote for the guy I support!") However, I don't think celebrities should feel constrained to hide their views either. It would be a shame if "die" were being used in a negative "die of embarrassment" sense here.

Fleetwood Mac is famously connected with the Democratic party because of Clinton's inauguration ball (and the use of "Don't Stop" as his campaign song), but John McVie says he's a Republican. They were invited to play for the 2012 Democratic Convention, but the DNC balked at the $2 million price tag that Fleetwood Mac put on their services. It's not always about politics.

Still, there is such a strong anti-GOP feeling among rock musicians that I must say I'm surprised they even got Felder.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    I've never been much interested in the political views of celebrities and I find celebrity stumping for politicians to be insulting to the intelligence of constituents ("Don't know who to vote for? Well, you like my music/movies/TV show, right? Vote for the guy I support!")
    I agree with all that you said, and as you know, I definitely agree with what I quoted here. It's one thing if someone sticks a microphone in your face and asks as part as an interview, but otherwise, yes, it is insulting to my intelligence. Especially as most (not all) politicians, left and right, couldn't lead their constituents out of a room with one door. So when someone stands up in such full support of such a person I have to wonder what they've been smoking. I'm not gonna love (or vote) for an idiot just to stick it to the other party.
    VK