Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Don Felder

Default Don Felder

I want open this new topic for talking about Don Felder and his music.
    So.....
    Remember when the days were long ...

MARCO

Which of his songs do you like best, Marco?

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

The only solo album of Don Felder Is Airborne (1983), I listened it and it was quite good, so not a big success like Hotel California (I prefer acoustic MTV version). Well, I prefer His guitar solo. I don't know much about solo concerts.

Here some Songs

http://www.vh1.com/artists/az/felder_don/artist.jhtml

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEjLETV5HXY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50lHWjH_RNQ

MARCO

Thanks for the links, Marco. I think Felder's guitar solo in Hotel California is terrific. I will have to check out Airborne when I get more time.

Default Don Felder

Personally, I miss Don Felder. Really enjoyed his riffs. I also have his album and enjoy it.
    We've got to feed the fire, stir the wind....B

I possess the silver bullet to slay the demons from my past. How do I know? Because I survived them-and I am already stronger than I think.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

I miss Don too. I loved the way he and Joe played off one another during the live shows. However, if Henley and Frey thought he should go, then gone he is. I trust their judgement and it surely hasn't stoppped me from going to the live shows. In fact, I never saw Felder live with the band. Steuart Smith is a fine guitarist and a more than adequate replacement IMO.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

I was just watching a HFO bootleg with Perfect Little Sister and thinking how talented Felder is. I miss him, too. That said, if Felder was keeping them from recording and touring as has been alleged, the it was necessary for him to go.

Stuck on the Border

This may be heresy, but I don't miss Felder. I saw him in 1995. That was enough for me. I've heard too much about the trouble he caused. I've seen too many interviews where he's just negative. I saw his attempt to praise Frey and Henley on Showbiz Today before the Millennium shows, and their looks of disbelief/disgust.

As for Airborne... I bought it when it came out. If he had tried just to be a Vai-Satriani guitar hero perhaps it would have worked. Instead he tried to be a 'guitarist-singer-songwriter' like Joe, and he is not a good enough singer or songwriter to pull this off. The songs aren't good enough either. The best tracks are probably Never Surrender and Asphalt Jungle. If you have seen the video for Bad Girls... believe me, this track gives a fair indication of what the rest of the album is like, although it's probably the worst track.

I think I'm The Only here who prefer Felder.

Here's a list of the songs of the Eagles where You can find Felder's Solo
    (Listen It, if You Can)

Learn To Be Still
    You Belong To The City
    The Boys Of Summer
    Dirty Laundry
    King Of Hollywood
    The Sad Café
    I Can't Tell You Why
    Love Will Keep Us Alive
    Please Come Home For Christmas
    Peaceful Easy Feeling

And He play the Steel Guitar, the Mandolin and the Acoustic Guitar. I don't think the new "Guitarist" play this instruments.

MARCO

Stuck on the Border

A couple of people said they missed Felder. However, we have to move on. You can prefer him if you wish, but facts are facts.

If you listen to Do Something, I think you can hear Steuart Smith playing steel guitar. And what guitarist worth his salt is not going to be able to play acoustic. Regarding mandolin, I am sure that Steuart could probably do that if asked, but it isn't part of the band's current sound.

There are other songs in which Felder solos. Outstanding examples are One Of These Nights & Good Day In Hell. Not to mention Victim of Love & Those Shoes.

As for I Can't Tell You Why, it is true that Felder played that solo live (Smith plays it now). However, the recorded solos are by Glenn Frey.

And King of Hollywood has solos by all three guitarists, not just Felder, just as Dirty Laundry has two solos, and I would hesitate to call any of the guitar work in Boys Of Summer a 'solo' in the strict sense.

Finally, he played those solos, yes. But he does not play them now. Saying that he used to play them is hardly relevant any more.