Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Don Felder

Felder always played the solo of I Can't Tell You Why, in the album and in the shows.
    Remember when the days were long ...

MARCO

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Marcox - the album credits on The Long Run say that the guitar solos on I Can't Tell You Why are by Glenn Frey (and yes, solos is plural). I presume that means he played the solos. In addition, Glenn co-wrote the song, including the guitar solo, and is given writing credit as well. As FP said, when he was with the band, Felder played the guitar solo when the band performed the song live or to be taped because Glenn was on keyboards. We are willing to have interesting discussions and debates here about anything that pertains to our favorite band, but it seems rather useless to discuss or debate things if you don't have your facts straight.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Marcox
    Freypower,
    I have the LP, but I think there is a mistake. (The solo is of Felder)
    The video is about the ALBUM VERSION. Try to listen your LP and the video and than tell me if is the same version or not.
    Are you seriously telling me that a band as perfectionist as the Eagles would have made a mistake in the album credits when they listed who played the guitar solos?

The following statements are made by Frey & Henley in the Complete Greatest Hits booklet:

Henley: 'Glenn also composed and played that great guitar solo'.
    Frey: '.... the understated, brilliant guitar stylings of yours truly (laughs)'.

You refer to the 'album version'. That means The Long Run. The solo on Eagles Live is indeed played by Felder. Frey's generosity to his bandmates has meant that his contribution to the original recording of this song has been sadly overlooked.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

I did often wonder why Glenn doesn't play the solo now in the live shows with Felder gone. There are other supporting band members who could handle the keyboards for the song. Sure would be cool to see, IMHO.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Peter Vale, Jim Capaldi, and Paul Carrack wrote Love Will Keep Us Alive, but I know that Felder worked with Their for that song.

Do You know something about That ???
    Remember when the days were long ...

MARCO

Quote Originally Posted by Ive always been a dreamer
    I did often wonder why Glenn doesn't play the solo now in the live shows with Felder gone. There are other supporting band members who could handle the keyboards for the song. Sure would be cool to see, IMHO.
    It would be fantastic to see Glenn play the ICTYW guitar solo, but just from watching Glenn during ICTYW, he really seems to enjoy playing keyboards on that particular song IMO.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Marcox
    Peter Vale, Jim Capaldi, and Paul Carrack wrote Love Will Keep Us Alive, but I know that Felder worked with Their for that song.

Do You know something about That ???
    Was there some suggestion that a band could be formed with the writers of this song, Tim and Don Felder? I'm sure the Tim fans can put me straight on this. This is obviously before the Eagles reunion got the final go-ahead, as Tim and Felder were the last to be asked.

I think playing keyboards on ICTYW gives Glenn a chance to rest his weary legs. He seems happy enough for Steuart to play guitar (and Steuart does an exemplary job - I love watching him with Tim during the song).

Yes FP, in the early 90's Timothy and Don Felder were looking into forming a band with Paul Carrack etc... but obviously when the Eagles reunion happened, the plans for the other band were nullified

And watching Tim and Steuart during ICTYW is always fun.. I always think of that moment in the F1 DVD during one of the guitar solos where Tim says to Steuart (with a grin) "is that hard?" ... what do you know! Tim's a comedian!