Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Why doesn't Joe do pretty songs anymore?

Default Why doesn't Joe do pretty songs anymore?

I was listening to some Joe shows today from previous tours that I'd recently obtained in a trade. In them, he's playing Pretty Maids All in a Row, Help Me Thru the Night, Indian Summer... these all used to be staples of his setlist; they're all beautiful and powerful.

Listening to these really brought home to me the stark difference between those old shows and this tour's setlist. Now, all we get in terms of ballads is I Shall Be Released, and most of that isn't even sung by Joe, let alone written by him!

He bears the brunt of playing the rockers for the Eagles show. I kinda hoped that his solo shows would be a place where we could hear the softer side. They used to be, at least.

Not on this tour, obviously.

Too bad for me, 'cause I'd like to hear that - especially HMTTN. At least I got to hear PMAIAR in Oklahoma last year, before it was dropped in favor of ILBTs.

Bring back the beauty, Joe!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Why doesn't Joe do pretty songs anymore?

I don't understand the thinking behind the setlist of this tour, but then I don't understand the thinking behind some of the tracks on Analog Man.

Maybe Joe thinks that he has to stand through so many ballads when he plays with the Eagles that when he is on his own he would rather 'play that rock'n'roll' because that is what people expect. The same as he apparently thinks they don't want to hear new material.

I was lucky enough to see the HFO tour, so I saw both PMIAR & HMTTN, and frankly I will take those over In The City any day. Obviously I will not see any shows on this tour, but as I have already said, I find this setlist very safe & uninteresting.

In Oklahoma, he almost seemed apologetic about playing PMAIAR, like he figured all his audience wanted to hear were rockers. Maybe he thinks this is the kind of setlist that will appeal to casual fans the most.

I disagree, though. I get that the majority of his audience are middle-aged white guys, but even they like soft songs occasionally!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border Tiffanny Twisted's Avatar

I think he is just being Joe and doing what he wants at that moment in time.
    Think about it.

He"d have to change up wht he plays ...if he did the same thing night after night then he would get bored.

Variety is the spice of life...
    tt

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Tiffanny Twisted View Post
    I think he is just being Joe and doing what he wants at that moment in time.
    Think about it.

He"d have to change up wht he plays ...if he did the same thing night after night then he would get bored.

Variety is the spice of life...
    tt
    He is doing the same thing night after night.

We ARE suggesting variety in what he plays, not the opposite.

Stuck on the Border Tiffanny Twisted's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    He is doing the same thing night after night.

We ARE suggesting variety in what he plays, not the opposite.
    I thought you were suggesting no variety cause he doesnt do"pretty songs" any more.
    Sorry ..my bad

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Tiffanny Twisted View Post
    I thought you were suggesting no variety cause he doesnt do"pretty songs" any more.
    Sorry ..my bad
    I should have said we would like to see MORE variety in his setlists, which would include more ballads.

You were the one who used the phrase 'variety is the spice of life'.

I was trying to find the setlist I heard at the IL state fair in 2007. I think this is pretty close...

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/joe-wa...-33d644c9.html

Unfortunately, I wasn't familiar with any of Joe's pre-Eagles music at the time, so these songs didn't strike a chord with me (not to mention we were in the nosebleeds). If Joe did Meadows back then I sure wish I would have been familiar with the song - I really like it now. But I do remember him doing PMAIAR.

Do you think the reason he doesn't do any of his "pretty songs" now is as simple as he doesn't want any lull in the show?
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Prettymaid View Post
    I was trying to find the setlist I heard at the IL state fair in 2007. I think this is pretty close...

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/joe-wa...-33d644c9.html

Unfortunately, I wasn't familiar with any of Joe's pre-Eagles music at the time, so these songs didn't strike a chord with me (not to mention we were in the nosebleeds). If Joe did Meadows back then I sure wish I would have been familiar with the song - I really like it now. But I do remember him doing PMAIAR.

Do you think the reason he doesn't do any of his "pretty songs" now is as simple as he doesn't want any lull in the show?
    I suppose that is the reason (I note in that setlist you quoted he also did Indian Summer, which I absolutely love) but in my opinion the lack of ballads is far less of a concern than the reluctance to showcase Analog Man.

PM, I have just noticed you have hit 8000 posts. Head to Walsh Worship.

I'll admit I do like his current setlist but as long as he keeps LBG, LITFL, ITC, etc in there I'll be ok with what he does to it. But I do prefer the rockers but I do like PMAIAR. Great song. HMTTN doesn't do much for me though.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."