Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910

Thread: Why doesn't Joe do pretty songs anymore?

Default Re: Why doesn't Joe do pretty songs anymore?

It's tricky, isn't it. I'm like Deb in the sense that I'm usually pretty happy to take what I can get when it comes to the guys, but I think, as Soda said, there should be balance. When Neil Young went on stage years ago and played the entire Tonight's The Night album from beginning to end, refusing to play any tracks from Harvest, he got booed and people were fuming and demanding their money back. Whether you agree with it or not, it is generally expected that at least some hits will be played. I don't think it is just the casual fans who want to hear the hits either; I think quite a few of us "hardcore" fans would be a bit disappointed if we didn't hear Lyin' Eyes or Take It To The Limit at an Eagles show!

Most musicians will say that, although they want to play newer stuff too, they would never disrespect their old, successful songs because they allowed them to get to where they are now. Those songs mean a lot to fans on an emotional level and I'm sure they actually enjoy playing the old hits and feeling the intense reaction from the audience. In a sense, I think it's like a little thank you for sticking with them for so many years.

It is a bit of a shame that Joe isn't playing a few more songs from Analog Man, but I have no explanation for that. Maybe he just thinks other songs play better in a live show and he feels that the tour might be enough to whet some appetites... Who knows! I will say that Joe's solo show in Tulsa back in May was fantastic and he seemed genuinely happy, content, and very pleased with where he is at the moment musically and personally. I don't think for one second it's that he has a crippling lack of confidence in his new material, even if it comes across that way.

you better put it all behind you, baby, 'cause life goes on
    you keep carrying that anger, it'll eat you up inside--

Quote Originally Posted by Troubadour View Post
    It's tricky, isn't it. I'm like Deb in the sense that I'm usually pretty happy to take what I can get when it comes to the guys, but I think, as Soda said, there should be balance. When Neil Young went on stage years ago and played the entire Tonight's The Night album from beginning to end, refusing to play any tracks from Harvest, he got booed and people were fuming and demanding their money back. Whether you agree with it or not, it is generally expected that at least some hits will be played. I don't think it is just the casual fans who want to hear the hits either; I think quite a few of us "hardcore" fans would be a bit disappointed if we didn't hear Lyin' Eyes or Take It To The Limit at an Eagles show!

Most musicians will say that, although they want to play newer stuff too, they would never disrespect their old, successful songs because they allowed them to get to where they are now. Those songs mean a lot to fans on an emotional level and I'm sure they actually enjoy playing the old hits and feeling the intense reaction from the audience. In a sense, I think it's like a little thank you for sticking with them for so many years.

Funny you should mention Neil Young, because when I saw him once a long time ago, some fan was yelling out a song he wanted to hear & Neil went ballistic! He just stopped right in the middle of a song & says something like, "I have planned exactly what I will be playing. Don't you think I know what to play, so don't tell me what to do" Then he put the guitar down & walked off the stage. I guess someone talked him into going back on stage, but he didn't come back for about 10 minutes.

I think performers do get irritated by people yelling out songs to them. They obviously come prepared & Neil was pretty much over reacting, but I think others get annoyed with that stuff too. I would never do this, but I have seen & heard it pretty LOUDLY at some concerts! Some fans just do not SHUT UP until they hear what they wanna hear!

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Topkat View Post
    Funny you should mention Neil Young, because when I saw him once a long time ago, some fan was yelling out a song he wanted to hear & Neil went ballistic! He just stopped right in the middle of a song & says something like, "I have planned exactly what I will be playing. Don't you think I know what to play, so don't tell me what to do" Then he put the guitar down & walked off the stage. I guess someone talked him into going back on stage, but he didn't come back for about 10 minutes.

I think performers do get irritated by people yelling out songs to them. They obviously come prepared & Neil was pretty much over reacting, but I think others get annoyed with that stuff too. I would never do this, but I have seen & heard it pretty LOUDLY at some concerts! Some fans just do not SHUT UP until they hear what they wanna hear!
    Like the chick at Glenn's DC concert who wanted to hear I Found Somebody. She went up to the stage and just kept saying it over and over and it really bothered the people on that side of the stage. Like me. He just ignored her for the most part and we all wondered where security was.
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

That is just so rude. How can they not realize what fools they are making of themselves? Not to mention how distracting it is for the performer and the audience!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Oh, I agree. It is rude and there is absolutely no need for it. It's like they are going to the show purely to hear that song, which is a far cry from going to a show and enjoying both old and new. Someone kept calling out 'I Can't Tell You Why' at Timothy's show in London (I mentioned it in my review), which was both annoying and insulting, especially as this was a solo show and the song was a band song. Thankfully 99% of the audience were there to enjoy Tim's new solo efforts as well as the few Eagles tunes he played, but it must be frustrating for the performer at times.

you better put it all behind you, baby, 'cause life goes on
    you keep carrying that anger, it'll eat you up inside--

I know that I get totally pissed off when people do this. It is so rude & annoying to the people at the show & I can't even imagine how the performer must feel. If I was on stage I would probably say something, like Neil did, but walking off the stage was a bit much. You can tell that he was just so angry that this person had the nerve to yell out a song title right in the middle of him singing another song!! It was so obnoxious!!

I can imagine that Timothy would have been annoyed as well. He always does " I Can't Tell You Why" as far as I know, so there is no need to yell it out at him! Hell, he knows everyone wants to hear it. There is always one IDIOT that has to spoil things for everyone else!

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Quote Originally Posted by TimothyBFan View Post
    I've been thinking all morning about this whole "casual fan" thing.

I guess by some people's standards (especially here on the board), I might be considered a "casual fan" since I don't see them live often or travel great lengths to do so. But, I don't consider myself that at all. I know a lot more than most people do about them, I've bought all there stuff on album, 8 track, cassette, cd, dvd, etc... I have a collection of bootlegs, posters, autographs, memorabilia, etc..... Have spent lots of money on them for almost 4 decades. But I truly believe that without the casual fan, the Eagles would be no where close to the historical band they are today. Afterall, like Dreamer says above they are the majority for sure and for a concert, it's going to take more than the "diehard" fans to fill an arena.

So I guess where I'm going with this is that I totally get where they would play what the "casual fan" wants to hear (the hits they hear on the radio and are familiar with) more than what the "diehard fan" wants to hear (the new albums we pre-order and listen to over and over again because, afterall, it is our favorite band). That's where the BIG money is coming from. Just my opinion, of course.
    Yep Willie - speaking for myself, that bolded part of your post makes you a hardcore in my book. And you didn't even mention your Border obsession!

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Quote Originally Posted by Troubadour View Post
    Oh, I agree. It is rude and there is absolutely no need for it. It's like they are going to the show purely to hear that song, which is a far cry from going to a show and enjoying both old and new. Someone kept calling out 'I Can't Tell You Why' at Timothy's show in London (I mentioned it in my review), which was both annoying and insulting, especially as this was a solo show and the song was a band song. Thankfully 99% of the audience were there to enjoy Tim's new solo efforts as well as the few Eagles tunes he played, but it must be frustrating for the performer at times.
    I'm with you on that. When I saw the Eagles someone was yelling out over and over again for Rocky Mountain Way - fortunately in between songs rather than during. I really wanted to turn round & yell back, "you can see the talk box tube, just keep your pants on and WAIT FOR IT already!".

Or, I could have just yelled at him, "Get Over It!" Might have been a bit subtle, though...
    ---------------------------------
    Suzanne

Stuck on the Border Tiffanny Twisted's Avatar

i HATE REUDE PEOPLE AT CONCERTS WHO RUIN IT FOR EVERYONE ELSE WHO IS THERE TO ENJOY THE SHOW. I FDONT CARE WHAT THEY PLAY I JUST WANNA ENJOY THE MOMENT OF SEEING THEM LIVE.

I ALSO KNOW THEY MAKE THERI MONEY ON POPLE SPENDING 10.00 FOR A BEER BUT COME ON I AM THERE FOR THE MUSIC SHOW....NOT THE IDIOT SHOW OF POPLE WHO HAVE TO MUCH TO DRINK AND GET OBNOXIOUS.

TT