Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Why doesn't Joe do pretty songs anymore?

Stuck on the Border Tiffanny Twisted's Avatar

Default Re: Why doesn't Joe do pretty songs anymore?

pm
    8,ooo posts and growing

congradulations-tt

Stuck on the Border Tiffanny Twisted's Avatar

Cool Re: Why doesn't Joe do pretty songs anymore?

Ok , so i guess one question is:

1) What is his reluctance to play new material from analog man?

2) Why does he not include his ballads. more ...aka pretty songs?

I guess he is either:

1) playing what he feels like playing.

2) Playing what he THINKS people want him to play

3) playing what he wants to play.

A man who has been playing as long as he has and has such a large variety of music to cover and or choose from I guess would be in the situation that no mater what he decides to do and for what ever reason he decides to do it , there will be people that will be happy and un happy with his choice.

For me, yeah I wanna hear my favorite songs but when I go to a concert its to see and hear that performer live in that moment and watch them at their craft.

ROCK ON JOE!!!!!!

TT (did I get it right or am I still not understanding the concept of this "Joe thread"????)

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tiffanny Twisted View Post

I guess he is either:

1) playing what he feels like playing.

2) Playing what he THINKS people want him to play
    Just seems weird that immediately after putting out the first solo album in decades, you go out on tour and don't play but a couple songs off of it. Doesn't seem to be promoting the fact he has a new album at all. I understand that the casual fan knows the Life's Been Good and Ordinary Average Guy songs but I'm sure they'd want to hear new Joe also and Help Me Thru The Night (don't say it PM!!!)

As for the "softer side" of Joe--- no doubt I'd love to hear PMAIAR and One Day At A Time which he could play as a new song also.
    He sings it high, he plays it low

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

I'm completely at a loss as to what Joe is doing. Like Willie said, here he is supposed to be promoting his first new album in years and we get 1 or maybe 2 songs from it? That's not a new album tour! Remember when Timothy went out to promote his new album? Look at what Glenn has done recently with his!

Somebody from the Joe camp needs to come read this message board! We like most of his new album and it seems he has dropped it. What gives, Joe?

I really like most of the songs on Analog Man and would love to hear them at a show. Yes, he still needs to do all the songs that are popular with his fans that he sings on, like Funk 49, Rocky Mountain Way, Life's Been Good, and All Night Long, but he doesn't need to do Life In the Fast Lane just because he isn't the original singer of it. I wouldn't miss it, but that's just me.

Here's my picks for Joe to do on this, supposed, Analog Man tour in random order:

Analog Man
    Wrecking Ball
    Lucky That Way
    Family
    One Day At A Time
    Funk 50
    Funk 49
    The Bomber
    Walk Away
    Turn To Stone
    Rocky Mountain Way
    Life's Been Good
    Help Me Through The Night
    I Can Play That Rock & Roll
    Ordinary Average Guy
    Pretty Maids All In A Row
    In The City
    Indian Summer
    A Life of Illusion
    Meadows

That's 20 songs, maybe too many for him but these are his best, imo. Come on Joe, get with the program! You're cool and we love ya!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

I agree with those who say he should be singing more songs from the album. He could have talked about it more if he wasn't going to play more from it. As for the softer stuff, I can honestly say I didn't miss it. For the most part, I wasn't listening for something specific, just totally enthralled with watching his fingers on the guitar and listening to the sound of it. Which was hard to see from row U, but the man amazes me every time I see him. I know there's more to him than being a great guitar player and great entertainer. It would be nice to be reminded of that with some other songs, but until someone else mentioned it in another thread, I never gave it much of a thought.

Of course, it doesn't matter what he plays. He's cool. Everyone says so.
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

I agree with most of what Brooke says, except that after seeing the HUGE reaction LITFL gets from the crowd, I realize why Joe would keep doing it. I also think Family would be a dud live. However, "Wrecking Ball" and "One Day a Time" would be great additions, and he definitely should keep including "Lucky that Way" along with "Analog Man."

If it's length that's a problem, Joe could truncate some of his extended guitar solos (I love his genius guitar playing, but they don't ALL have to be monster length) to add in an additional song - or, again, drop the infamous ILBTs. I also think The Bomber is expendable. It's cool but it can drag live.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border

I would go along with most of what Brooke said.

My problem is that I don't honestly think Analog Man is all that good (mainly because of the amount of rehashing of old ideas & the inexplicable inclusion of a 1971 jam), and I'm sorry if that is a heretical opinion; but I am even more sorry if Joe also thinks that because it is his work.

Well, my .02 isn't probably worth that much...but anyway... my thoughts are that since concerts are now the only way artists make any money, the days of playing deep cuts for the "true fan" are over. Joe's set for life, but the tour still has to make money or there won't be another one. For the legacy guys still out there trying to do it, like Mellencamp, Seger, etc. They don't get airplay, record deals or money from selling the music, so they must feel they need to play for the "average" drunk, oblivious and comparatively uncaring concert goer that makes up 95% of the audience. And to generalize Joe's crowds, that person wants to rock to the big hits, not hear pretty. I was hoping the "new and improved" Joe would have the self-confidence to keep more new stuff in the set, but apparently the response and feedback isn't what he'd hoped. Since he's the pro that's done this a few times, I defer to his expertise. New stuff just isn't accepted in a concert setting, and I don't get it, but that's how it is and what I've seen during this tour. And for Joe to cut off his jams is a bunch of crap IMO. This isn't a Eagles concert, and I don't want it to sound like the record. That's my favorite thing about seeing Joe live. It's a pure expression of how he's feeling, how he wants to tell it and why he's bothering to come out and play for me that night. And in all the shows I've seen, they are never exactly the same, even if it's the same set list. As I've stated before, I'm just grateful that at nearly 65, he's still interested in exploring his craft, stretching his boundaries, and coming out to play. I keep that in mind, because the years to go are a lot less than the years that have been. That's my take on the concert-going reality in the 21st century. It's not great, but it is what it is. You can quityerbitchin', accept it, enjoy it as much as you can and be glad your favorite is still out there doing it, or you can stay home.
    http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5084/5316660629_4a27633c34.jpg
    Good morning my ...
    ~Deb~

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    My problem is that I don't honestly think Analog Man is all that good (mainly because of the amount of rehashing of old ideas & the inexplicable inclusion of a 1971 jam), and I'm sorry if that is a heretical opinion; but I am even more sorry if Joe also thinks that because it is his work.
    I have to disagree. I think Analog Man is a great album and that I'm glad he released it.

At least he wrote new music and put something new out there from Joe rather than just doing covers, or just playing shows with no new material and not even attempting to write/release new material. I have to give him props for that and everyone else should as well. I think Analog Man is a solid album with great tunes. I'm sorry that you are disappointed with it.

I think in general terms RnR as it was in the heyday is all but dead and music has really changed. I think the hardcore Joe fans love/like or have at least heard the album (I've seen many big name musicians tweeting about how they like it) and I think the general public that knows nothing of Joe or casual fans probably won't discover it. Their loss. I think that's why he doesn't do more than 2. I think he plays what everyone has heard and everybody knows to entertain them and throw the 2 songs in to tell everyone to check it out. Then maybe in a couple years or less he could start doing more songs from the album. JMO of course.
    Last edited by WalshFan88; 08-18-2012 at 02:57 AM.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jdubfan View Post
    Well, my .02 isn't probably worth that much...but anyway... my thoughts are that since concerts are now the only way artists make any money, the days of playing deep cuts for the "true fan" are over. Joe's set for life, but the tour still has to make money or there won't be another one. For the legacy guys still out there trying to do it, like Mellencamp, Seger, etc. They don't get airplay, record deals or money from selling the music, so they must feel they need to play for the "average" drunk, oblivious and comparatively uncaring concert goer that makes up 95% of the audience. And to generalize Joe's crowds, that person wants to rock to the big hits, not hear pretty. I was hoping the "new and improved" Joe would have the self-confidence to keep more new stuff in the set, but apparently the response and feedback isn't what he'd hoped. Since he's the pro that's done this a few times, I defer to his expertise. New stuff just isn't accepted in a concert setting, and I don't get it, but that's how it is and what I've seen during this tour. And for Joe to cut off his jams is a bunch of crap IMO. This isn't a Eagles concert, and I don't want it to sound like the record. That's my favorite thing about seeing Joe live. It's a pure expression of how he's feeling, how he wants to tell it and why he's bothering to come out and play for me that night. And in all the shows I've seen, they are never exactly the same, even if it's the same set list. As I've stated before, I'm just grateful that at nearly 65, he's still interested in exploring his craft, stretching his boundaries, and coming out to play. I keep that in mind, because the years to go are a lot less than the years that have been. That's my take on the concert-going reality in the 21st century. It's not great, but it is what it is. You can quityerbitchin', accept it, enjoy it as much as you can and be glad your favorite is still out there doing it, or you can stay home.
    I agree!
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.