Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Why doesn't Joe do pretty songs anymore?

Stuck on the Border Tiffanny Twisted's Avatar

Default Re: Why doesn't Joe do pretty songs anymore?

Quote Originally Posted by jdubfan View Post
    Well, my .02 isn't probably worth that much...but anyway... my thoughts are that since concerts are now the only way artists make any money, the days of playing deep cuts for the "true fan" are over. Joe's set for life, but the tour still has to make money or there won't be another one. For the legacy guys still out there trying to do it, like Mellencamp, Seger, etc. They don't get airplay, record deals or money from selling the music, so they must feel they need to play for the "average" drunk, oblivious and comparatively uncaring concert goer that makes up 95% of the audience. And to generalize Joe's crowds, that person wants to rock to the big hits, not hear pretty. I was hoping the "new and improved" Joe would have the self-confidence to keep more new stuff in the set, but apparently the response and feedback isn't what he'd hoped. Since he's the pro that's done this a few times, I defer to his expertise. New stuff just isn't accepted in a concert setting, and I don't get it, but that's how it is and what I've seen during this tour. And for Joe to cut off his jams is a bunch of crap IMO. This isn't a Eagles concert, and I don't want it to sound like the record. That's my favorite thing about seeing Joe live. It's a pure expression of how he's feeling, how he wants to tell it and why he's bothering to come out and play for me that night. And in all the shows I've seen, they are never exactly the same, even if it's the same set list. As I've stated before, I'm just grateful that at nearly 65, he's still interested in exploring his craft, stretching his boundaries, and coming out to play. I keep that in mind, because the years to go are a lot less than the years that have been. That's my take on the concert-going reality in the 21st century. It's not great, but it is what it is. You can quityerbitchin', accept it, enjoy it as much as you can and be glad your favorite is still out there doing it, or you can stay home.

i agree!!!!
    GREATFULL THAT HE IS STILL OUT THERE DOING HIS THING

I too am very glad he is out there and i enjoy his jams, but I'm not of the mind that it's somehow wrong or ungrateful to express disappointment with his choices in song selection. I am disappointed, and I'll say so. I say this as a fan, not some meanie out to trash Joe.

I love AM. I think it's his best album in decades. I think it's a shame he doesn't play more from it, and I will "bitch" about that all I like. You don't have to agree with me, but don't try to shut me down either.

Just because we love our guys doesn't mean we can't criticize their choices if we feel it's warranted - and I do.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

I'll approach it from a complete 180. While I stand by what I wrote and agree with what jdubfan wrote, I'll also agree with Soda in that AM (the album) is a great album. For his casual fans who don't know about it, he's doing them a disservice by not talking more about in concert, not promoting it more in concert, and not playing more songs from it. Because it's a great album and by not being pushed to go listen to it, they are being deprived of some great music. In today's world when radio is no longer the way to really reach people, he is missing a great opportunity to reach his fans by not promoting the album more in concert. However, for me, the 'pretty' songs weren't missed. Had he played them, I have no doubts I'd have loved them, too.
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

Frankly, I thought the whole idea of the tour right after the release of the album, was to help promote it???? I think he doesn't give his audience enough credit for accepting his new material. I mean it's been ages since his last solo release. He should be playing the new songs, maybe not the entire album, but at least 4-5 songs from AM would have been totally acceptable, even to people who aren't really there to hear the new stuff. Of course he's going to play many of the long time hit favorites, but I love to see something new or unexpected, (like maybe an old obscure song) thrown in there. That's the fun of seeing a solo show, to get some unexpected stuff in the mix! Just my opinion. I wouldn't really generalize as to who Joe's audience is, but I would suspect that most are long time fans of his.

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    I too am very glad he is out there and i enjoy his jams, but I'm not of the mind that it's somehow wrong or ungrateful to express disappointment with his choices in song selection. I am disappointed, and I'll say so. I say this as a fan, not some meanie out to trash Joe.

I love AM. I think it's his best album in decades. I think it's a shame he doesn't play more from it, and I will "bitch" about that all I like. You don't have to agree with me, but don't try to shut me down either.

Just because we love our guys doesn't mean we can't criticize their choices if we feel it's warranted - and I do.
    To your rhetorical question, I gave an answer I felt was warranted as well. Not aimed at you soda, just another pov, but it was taken personally, so I apologize. Shut you down? Didn't try, you had your say. I thought I had the same right, as in "discusson" board. You told me what I thought on another post lately. Not sure why, I'm as entitled to my opinion as you. At least I thought so. You're the boss, it's your site. Guess that makes me in the wrong again? Evidently. I come here to relax, to learn more about the guys from cool folks who really know their stuff. But, here lately, the fun's gone out of it. My bad, I know, but that's how things go sometimes.
    So... Here's to you and here's to me, and if we should ever disagree....
    http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5084/5316660629_4a27633c34.jpg
    Good morning my ...
    ~Deb~

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by WalshFan88 View Post
    I have to disagree. I think Analog Man is a great album and that I'm glad he released it.

At least he wrote new music and put something new out there from Joe rather than just doing covers, or just playing shows with no new material and not even attempting to write/release new material. I have to give him props for that and everyone else should as well. I think Analog Man is a solid album with great tunes. I'm sorry that you are disappointed with it.

I think in general terms RnR as it was in the heyday is all but dead and music has really changed. I think the hardcore Joe fans love/like or have at least heard the album (I've seen many big name musicians tweeting about how they like it) and I think the general public that knows nothing of Joe or casual fans probably won't discover it. Their loss. I think that's why he doesn't do more than 2. I think he plays what everyone has heard and everybody knows to entertain them and throw the 2 songs in to tell everyone to check it out. Then maybe in a couple years or less he could start doing more songs from the album. JMO of course.
    OK; I think I know what you're saying here. 'At least it isn't a covers album' unlike Glenn's, is that right?

Technical point but Glenn's album is 'new material' even if it is cover versions, and he played 9 tracks from it when I saw him. That was brave; whether the songs were 'original' or not was not important to me at least. Also the rearrangement of The Heat Is On was something out of the box.

There are some good tracks on Analog Man; the title track, Wrecking Ball, ODAAT (which is not technically new, by the way), Band Played On. There are some others I find ordinary (Lucky That Way, which is really a remake of LBG, and Family, which I know I should love, but I don't and Hi Roller Baby) and then there are tracks I don't 'get' at all - Funk #50, which is a remake of Funk $49, Fishbone, Spanish Dancer & especially But I Try which was recorded in 1971. 'New material'? Yes, it is probably unfair to say that.

This is my opinion only & it will probably be the last time I express it but yes, my overall feeling is one of disappointment. But I repeat.... even if it disappoints me, he should be playing more of it.

I don't know why I haven't taken to it the way others have; it is not just that I was consumed by After Hours because I was really looking forward to it. This is why I have been reluctant to express any opinions; perhaps I am too harsh. In any case as I said I will say nothing further about the album.
    Last edited by Freypower; 08-18-2012 at 05:58 PM.

FP, if you look at my review of Analog Man in it's thread, you will see that I agree with just about everything you just said, and I'm a Joe fan! My point is, if I can feel okay about critiquing Joe's album, then you can certainly say what you think as well.
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    OK; I think I know what you're saying here. 'At least it isn't a covers album' unlike Glenn's, is that right?

Technical point but Glenn's album is 'new material' even if it is cover versions, and he played 9 tracks from it when I saw him. That was brave; whether the songs were 'original' or not was not important to me at least. Also the rearrangement of The Heat Is On was something out of the box.

There are some good tracks on Analog Man; the title track, Wrecking Ball, ODAAT (which is not technically new, by the way), Band Played On. There are some others I find ordinary (Lucky That Way, which is really a remake of LBG, and Family, which I know I should love, but I don't and Hi Roller Baby) and then there are tracks I don't 'get' at all - Funk #50, which is a remake of Funk $49, Fishbone, Spanish Dancer & especially But I Try which was recorded in 1971. 'New material'? Yes, it is probably unfair to say that.

This is my opinion only & it will probably be the last time I express it but yes, my overall feeling is one of disappointment. But I repeat.... even if it disappoints me, he should be playing more of it.

I don't know why I haven't taken to it the way others have; it is not just that I was consumed by After Hours because I was really looking forward to it. This is why I have been reluctant to express any opinions; perhaps I am too harsh. In any case as I said I will say nothing further about the album.
    So Glenn's album is new material and Joe's isn't?! By new material I don't mean songs recorded by an artist for the first time, but rather new original material from an artist. Sorry for the confusion. I don't agree with that at all... Even though ODAAT was previewed on F1, it still is a Joe song and the fact it was never on an Eagles studio album. But I Try was an old song yes, but he did have plenty of new material such as Analog Man, Wrecking Ball, Lucky That Way, etc. Lucky That Way isn't a remake really. A sequel, yes, but not a remake. It's an acoustic-y countryesque song that bears no resemblence to the electric rocking LBG other than the fact it's looking back on life lyrically and a sequel to LBG many years after and a more mature look at things.

It's not that I have any problem with you expressing your thoughts - none at all. It's just that I felt that perhaps you were being a bit unfair to Joe while being somewhat biased toward Glenn's album/tour. FWIW I do think Glenn made a good covers album and I do like some of the songs from it. Nothing against him at all. I just felt a bit upset I guess and thought it was a tad harsh. That's all... Just my opinions of course as I said previously. You're free to dislike the album of course.

Onward.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Stuck on the Border

I didn't say Joe's album was not new material, but a couple of tracks are not new and a couple of them are in my opinion revisions of previous themes. I suppose I should say there's nothing wrong with that, but I for one saw no point in Funk #49 being remade. I know Glenn's album is not original material but it is a huge departure for him.

You may say that I was harsh, but in my opinion so were you. You basically said that because After Hours is a covers album then it doesn't mean anything.

Bias? Yes, I'm biased, just as you are. Unfortunately, however, the contrast between Glenn's approach on his tour and Joe's is out there for all to see. Glenn was willing to play a large amount of After Hours & the fact that he did not write it is not relevant.
    Last edited by Freypower; 08-18-2012 at 07:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    I didn't say Joe's album was not new material, but a couple of tracks are not new and a couple of them are in my opinion revisiting previous themes. I know Glenn's album is not original material but it is a new recording.

You may say that I was harsh, but in my opinion so were you. You basically said that because After Hours is a covers album then it doesn't mean anything.

Bias? Yes, I'm biased, just as you are. Unfortunately, however, the contrast between Glenn's approach on his tour and Joe's is out there for all to see. Glenn was willing to play a large amount of After Hours & the fact that he did not write it is not relevant.
    Well that is certainly not what I meant (that After Hours means nothing).... I just meant that at least give the appropriate props to Joe for making new music rather than just rehash old material in general. If you read in the AH thread I gave it a positive review and said I liked it. Nothing against After Hours at all. I just meant generally speaking about new original material. I have nothing against covers - I do them myself. I love many cover albums. I have no bias against Glenn or anything against him at all so please don't think that.

What Joe is doing on his tour is working for him. With music discovery the way it is - the mainstream public probably hasn't heard it yet or heard of it at all. And the ones that come to his shows can hear a couple songs to let them know. Once he feels more people have heard it and wouldn't be put off by playing new songs or not hearing hits, perhaps he could include more.... I wish both Glenn and Joe success with their tours. I have no bias here. I just felt the need to defend Joe in this instance. Perhaps I was wrong, oh well c'est la vie.

But just for the record, I have nothing against After Hours... I was speaking generally. But I can see how you made the connection - which was not intended by me. I'm sorry about that. I thought you had something against Joe's new music. I just meant that I'm glad Joe made a record of new music period rather than just live off of the old stuff and never make one at all or tour and not do any more albums or just doing old material or covers, etc and become a caricature of himself. That's all I really meant. I wasn't comparing or even meaning to compare.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."