Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Why doesn't Joe do pretty songs anymore?

Stuck on the Border Tiffanny Twisted's Avatar

Default Re: Why doesn't Joe do pretty songs anymore?

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    I too am very glad he is out there and i enjoy his jams, but I'm not of the mind that it's somehow wrong or ungrateful to express disappointment with his choices in song selection. I am disappointed, and I'll say so. I say this as a fan, not some meanie out to trash Joe.

I love AM. I think it's his best album in decades. I think it's a shame he doesn't play more from it, and I will "bitch" about that all I like. You don't have to agree with me, but don't try to shut me down either.

Just because we love our guys doesn't mean we can't criticize their choices if we feel it's warranted - and I do.
    Who do you feel is trying to "shut You down"?
    tt

Stuck on the Border

I'm glad Joe made a new album of new material (but I add the caveat again, MOSTLY new material) and I would hope that so will Glenn in the future (he said that doing After Hours has made him wish to revisit songwriting, whereas at first he was quoted in Rolling Stone as saying he was completely uninterested in it).

I am aware that I was judging Joe too harshly because of my own disappointment (which I am afraid, remains). Perhaps the comparison between the respective setlists is also too harsh. Joe I guess has to do what he thinks is best for him, but getting back to what we were originallly discussing, there is a general sense of bemusement at his apparent lack of confidence in the new material.

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    I'm glad Joe made a new album of new material (but I add the caveat again, MOSTLY new material) and I would hope that so will Glenn in the future (he said that doing After Hours has made him wish to revisit songwriting, whereas at first he was quoted in Rolling Stone as saying he was completely uninterested in it).

I am aware that I was judging Joe too harshly because of my own disappointment (which I am afraid, remains). Perhaps the comparison between the respective setlists is also too harsh. Joe I guess has to do what he thinks is best for him, but getting back to what we were originallly discussing, there is a general sense of bemusement at his apparent lack of confidence in the new material.
    I agree. And I am looking forward to anything else Glenn and Don might write.

As far as the setlist - I think there just isn't that many people into that type of music anymore and the ones that do want to hear his old hits. I think classic Rock N' Roll (not Modern Rock) is dead or close to it. Just not much of that kind of music anymore and the ones that do come out don't do well because there is a lack of interest by anyone other than hardcore fans.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

I got what you meant, Austin, but I think it's because we think alike on these things. We really can't compare AH with AM at all. As I look at the albums on my hard drive, across all genres, I'd say that in each there's usually one that's truly great (rather, better than good). After that, one third that's good, one third that's OK, and one third that's filler material. Albums of covers are generally 90% great or at least better than good. It's the advantage of recording covers.

In my opinion, and I will put this in the thread when I find the song by song review that I did, Joe's album surpasses other albums of original material. I realize I'm biased completely with all four of our guys, but really, I see two 'fillers', and they aren't ones I skip over. I really feel like he gave me my money's worth and I didn't spend $15 on three songs like I do with most. Funk #50 was done at the request of ESPN. Having heard it all during last year's football season, listening to it now is really getting me geared up for this season. Of course, that doesn't take much for me since I sleep, eat, and breathe Steeler football.

I really like AM and especially when I compare it to other albums of new music recently released. It's what I meant when I said that casual fans who haven't bought it are missing out.
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

The guys on my favorite podcast (the Don Geronimo Show out of 1140am The Fan in Sacramento) love Joe and Analog Man. A couple of months ago, Joe's Crossroads show had come up in their news segment and ALL the guys agreed that Joe was awesome and that they liked his new album. The guys on this show range from Joe's age to guys in their 30's. I thought it was really cool to hear that.

As for myself, I'd take what I can get as far as Joe's live material. I just wish that he'd come here. I keep hoping.

Quote Originally Posted by VAisForEagleLovers View Post
    I got what you meant, Austin, but I think it's because we think alike on these things. We really can't compare AH with AM at all. As I look at the albums on my hard drive, across all genres, I'd say that in each there's usually one that's truly great (rather, better than good). After that, one third that's good, one third that's OK, and one third that's filler material. Albums of covers are generally 90% great or at least better than good. It's the advantage of recording covers.

In my opinion, and I will put this in the thread when I find the song by song review that I did, Joe's album surpasses other albums of original material. I realize I'm biased completely with all four of our guys, but really, I see two 'fillers', and they aren't ones I skip over. I really feel like he gave me my money's worth and I didn't spend $15 on three songs like I do with most. Funk #50 was done at the request of ESPN. Having heard it all during last year's football season, listening to it now is really getting me geared up for this season. Of course, that doesn't take much for me since I sleep, eat, and breathe Steeler football.

I really like AM and especially when I compare it to other albums of new music recently released. It's what I meant when I said that casual fans who haven't bought it are missing out.

Exactly!! I completely agree.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Personally I think a comparison between After Hours and Analog Man is an apples to oranges kind of thing. They are very different albums made for different reasons and I personally like them both.

I am bit disappointed to hear Joe isn't doing much from his new album. I really enjoy several of the songs and was looking forward to the possibility of seeing them live when Rhonda and I go to the show this coming weekend... So Joe if you are listening... how about a couple of your new songs and maybe Help Me Through the Night or Pretty Maids? You'd make a couple of loyal fans sitting in the second row REALLY happy!

Quote Originally Posted by Wildthyme View Post
    Personally I think a comparison between After Hours and Analog Man is an apples to oranges kind of thing. They are very different albums made for different reasons and I personally like them both.

I am bit disappointed to hear Joe isn't doing much from his new album. I really enjoy several of the songs and was looking forward to the possibility of seeing them live when Rhonda and I go to the show this coming weekend... So Joe if you are listening... how about a couple of your new songs and maybe Help Me Through the Night or Pretty Maids? You'd make a couple of loyal fans sitting in the second row REALLY happy!
    yeah I was really hoping for Pretty Maids when I saw him last week! one of my faves

I'd LOVE to hear Pretty Maids. After all, I'm it's namesake!
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jdubfan View Post
    Well, my .02 isn't probably worth that much...but anyway... my thoughts are that since concerts are now the only way artists make any money, the days of playing deep cuts for the "true fan" are over. Joe's set for life, but the tour still has to make money or there won't be another one. For the legacy guys still out there trying to do it, like Mellencamp, Seger, etc. They don't get airplay, record deals or money from selling the music, so they must feel they need to play for the "average" drunk, oblivious and comparatively uncaring concert goer that makes up 95% of the audience. And to generalize Joe's crowds, that person wants to rock to the big hits, not hear pretty. I was hoping the "new and improved" Joe would have the self-confidence to keep more new stuff in the set, but apparently the response and feedback isn't what he'd hoped. Since he's the pro that's done this a few times, I defer to his expertise. New stuff just isn't accepted in a concert setting, and I don't get it, but that's how it is and what I've seen during this tour. And for Joe to cut off his jams is a bunch of crap IMO. This isn't a Eagles concert, and I don't want it to sound like the record. That's my favorite thing about seeing Joe live. It's a pure expression of how he's feeling, how he wants to tell it and why he's bothering to come out and play for me that night. And in all the shows I've seen, they are never exactly the same, even if it's the same set list. As I've stated before, I'm just grateful that at nearly 65, he's still interested in exploring his craft, stretching his boundaries, and coming out to play. I keep that in mind, because the years to go are a lot less than the years that have been. That's my take on the concert-going reality in the 21st century. It's not great, but it is what it is. You can quityerbitchin', accept it, enjoy it as much as you can and be glad your favorite is still out there doing it, or you can stay home.
    Gotta say, you had me right up to the last line, then, not so much!!!

I think I (we) all have a right to bitch all we want, more so than the casual fan. We are passionate about their music. We all here are pretty much experts on all things Eagles and have spent more than our fair share, most of us over decades, to prove how much we love them. We've bought albums/8 tracks/cassettes/cds (I've got all of them in every album), concert tickets, posters, programs, t-shirts, etc..... and if I (we) have an opinion, rather everyone agrees or not, I (we) have a right to bitch about it. I LOVE their music but I don't always agree with what they do. I have stated that I don't like the price of the current concert tickets, I didn't like the suits, I think the track listing should be changed a bit, etc.... and now I think Joe should be playing and promoting his new album more than he is at this point. There---I said it and I'm glad I have!

Quote Originally Posted by WalshFan88
    I think in general terms RnR as it was in the heyday is all but dead and music has really changed. I think the hardcore Joe fans love/like or have at least heard the album (I've seen many big name musicians tweeting about how they like it) and I think the general public that knows nothing of Joe or casual fans probably won't discover it. Their loss. I think that's why he doesn't do more than 2. I think he plays what everyone has heard and everybody knows to entertain them and throw the 2 songs in to tell everyone to check it out. Then maybe in a couple years or less he could start doing more songs from the album. JMO of course.
    I see your point but I also think it's sad that's it's come to the point that when an artist puts out a rare new album of material that he feels he can't play it for fear the fans would rather hear the old stuff (which we would ALSO).
    Last edited by TimothyBFan; 08-20-2012 at 05:03 PM.
    He sings it high, he plays it low