Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Why doesn't Joe do pretty songs anymore?

Default Re: Why doesn't Joe do pretty songs anymore?

Quote Originally Posted by TimothyBFan
    I think I (we) all have a right to bitch all we want, more so than the casual fan. We are passionate about their music. We all here are pretty much experts on all things Eagles and have spent more than our fair share, most of us over decades, to prove how much we love them. We've bought albums/8 tracks/cassettes/cds (I've got all of them in every album), concert tickets, posters, programs, t-shirts, etc..... and if I (we) have an opinion, rather everyone agrees or not, I (we) have a right to bitch about it. I LOVE their music but I don't always agree with what they do. I have stated that I don't like the price of the current concert tickets, I didn't like the suits, I think the track listing should be changed a bit, etc.... and now I think Joe should be playing and promoting his new album more than he is at this point. There---I said it and I'm glad I have!

Exactly, Willie. We've earned the right to "bitch" a bit, I think!

No one is "in the wrong" or "in the right" about Joe's setlist; we're expressing opinions.

The guys can take it.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Quote Originally Posted by jdubfan View Post
    For the legacy guys still out there trying to do it, like Mellencamp, Seger, etc. They don't get airplay, record deals or money from selling the music, so they must feel they need to play for the "average" drunk, oblivious and comparatively uncaring concert goer that makes up 95% of the audience. And to generalize Joe's crowds, that person wants to rock to the big hits, not hear pretty.
    I must say I have to disagree with 95% here. Really? Concert tickets cost way too much for me to act like that!

As I've stated before, I'm just grateful that at nearly 65, he's still interested in exploring his craft, stretching his boundaries, and coming out to play.
    Amen here, for sure!

You can quityerbitchin', accept it, enjoy it as much as you can and be glad your favorite is still out there doing it, or you can stay home.
    Well, I think that everyone that wants to state their opinion on what they like or dislike is welcome to do it. Isn't that what we are here for, to cuss and discuss? Everyone isn't always going to agree. What a boring place that would be! I don't think we can compare After Hours with Analog Man, they are completely different, as someone mentioned. But as far as liking or disliking the albums, to each his own. I've said I don't love AH. It's just a different kind of music. Doesn't mean I've quit loving Glenn! I actually like AM better than AH. That's my opinion. Don't get mad at me for that. A bigger Glenn fan you will be hard pressed to find!

I stand by my first post and everything I said. And about wishing Joe would play more of his songs from AM because he said he was touring to promote it when it came out. I haven't even been to one of his solo shows! Doesn't change my mind. It's just what I would want to hear more of if I were able to go.
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Stuck on the Border Tiffanny Twisted's Avatar

ok...i have seen joe live and glenn live solo.Ihave enjoyed both, not one over the other. I have also sEEn Don Henley anf TBs live. Don was sick and I was so thrilled to see him and greatful he didnt cancel.

Joe didnt do anything from the yet to be released AN. I gotta admidt that ILBT's was a crowd pleaser.I enjoyed his show tremendously....had great searts 5th row.

I saw Glenn right after AH was released. I really enjoyed him and he knew how to play to an audience and his dads family was in attendance being from the area.

TBS did the whole expando cd and other songs (Poco and a few eagles)
    I think (just my opinion) that getting to hear him do the whole cd live for the first time I heard it, really had me appreciate it all the much more.

But that being said, I think most Joe fans wanna hear the "rock" type songs (again my opinion)

ah is a totally different cd. Glenn stated that it was something he had wanted to do for a long time and do it for his parents while they were still alive. ALso, it was music he was exposed to growing up. (this I understand... my hubby knew show tunes cause thats what his mom listended to).

So to sum up, my opinion is everyone has an opinion. No one will ever agree so u have to agree to disagree.

For Me I am just so greatful that at this time in my life, I can still afford to go to a show with my fav guy,JAHH and see the people we love perform their music live and that they still wanna perform it live.
    I pay to be entertained, not pick therir set lists for them.

PS>I will mention that JAHH and I saw HAll and OAtes and one time we saw them, they did 7songs and said Good nite. Boy were we peeved. Everyone can have an off nite, but having had seen Don H. live when he was sick, well my standards were high.

I always love to see H and O . They were a favorite of my late cousin who died much too young of breast cancer. It was something she and I did to gether. I just dont think after that one 7 song concert I"d layout $100.00 apiece to see them again. I"ll put it in the jar that says "EAGLES TIX MONEY"
    Peace everyone

tt

Originally Posted by jdubfan
    For the legacy guys still out there trying to do it, like Mellencamp, Seger, etc. They don't get airplay, record deals or money from selling the music, so they must feel they need to play for the "average" drunk, oblivious and comparatively uncaring concert goer that makes up 95% of the audience. And to generalize Joe's crowds, that person wants to rock to the big hits, not hear pretty.
    I find a statement like this insulting. To say that "95% of the audience is an average drunk, oblivious and comparatively uncaring concert goer" is just plain outrageous! I wouldn't assume that or generalize about who goes to see Joe! I also think concerts these days are too expensive & people choose carefully who they want to see if they are spending well over $100.

I think most that go see Joe are long time fans, who would want to hear his new stuff, and of course everyone wants to hear some of their old familiar favorites, but to make comments such as this is really a huge insult! I don't think anybody there would mind hearing some "pretty".

Stuck on the Border Tiffanny Twisted's Avatar

Yep...Topkat ...tix are expensive and with this economy especially, people really have to think twice before they spend that money on a show...anybodys show
    tt

Stuck on the Border

Any comparison between AH & AM was supposed to be regarding the setlists, not the content of the albums. The point I tried to make was that Glenn very bravely played 8, then 9 tracks from AH on his tour even though his tour wasn't very long (and remember he had also done 4 tracks from it last year). This isn't even counting On The Way Home, which remarkably he played as an encore this year, or the amazing rearrangement of The Heat Is On.

Joe? Does he think all his fans are drunken white males who only like rock songs with long guitar solos, and hits? On this board he has a legion of female fans, most of whom I submit would be eager to hear his new material; and furthermore most of us are very impressed by the new material (I again feel I have to say that I appear to be the exception, but even I, if I were to attend one of these shows, would want him to play some of these songs because I might change my mind).

I also think it's a huge generalisation to say that Joe's fans don't want to hear 'pretty' songs. As I said earlier, give me PMIAR or HMTTN rather than the (in my opinion) overplayed & tired In The City any day.
    Last edited by Freypower; 08-20-2012 at 11:58 PM.

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Topkat View Post
    I find a statement like this insulting. To say that "95% of the audience is an average drunk, oblivious and comparatively uncaring concert goer" is just plain outrageous!
    Agree with you 100% here!!!! I didn't even touch on that statement yesterday when I posted because it was so outrageous! There's always those drunks in the audience but 95%? Seriously?
    He sings it high, he plays it low

Maybe there is a slightly different kind of audience that goes to Ribfest festival and pays $15, than to a Joe Walsh concert and pays $100, but I think playing at least 3 songs from his newest album, which he is promoting, would be acceptable at either one. Liked -maybe not, but acceptable.

The people we were talking to at the Ribfest show go to all of these kinds of shows, so it's not like they are big Walsh fans, they just go see anyone they can afford to see and get the chance to. The small spattering of applause AM got when Joe mentioned it is probably representative of any Joe show, not just a festival.

As I said before, I noticed before the album was released that Joe wasn't playing much off of it, but I just figured that he would up the number of songs from it when it came out. I'm disappointed that he didn't do that, and I feel extremely lucky now that I got to hear Lucky That Way.
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    Any comparison between AH & AM was supposed to be regarding the setlists, not the content of the albums. The point I tried to make was that Glenn very bravely played 8, then 9 tracks from AH on his tour even though his tour wasn't very long (and remember he had also done 4 tracks from it last year). This isn't even counting On The Way Home, which remarkably he played as an encore this year, or the amazing rearrangement of The Heat Is On.

Joe? Does he think all his fans are drunken white males who only like rock songs with long guitar solos, and hits? On this board he has a legion of female fans, most of whom I submit would be eager to hear his new material; and furthermore most of us are very impressed by the new material (I again feel I have to say that I appear to be the exception, but even I, if I were to attend one of these shows, would want him to play some of these songs because I might change my mind).

I also think it's a huge generalisation to say that Joe's fans don't want to hear 'pretty' songs. As I said earlier, give me PMIAR or HMTTN rather than the (in my opinion) overplayed & tired In The City any day.
    FP, I have to wonder here. Glenn did 8 then 9 songs from AH because that's the music he wants to do. He loves those songs and loves performing them. He should since he does them so very well. His interviews in and around the show all but flat out state he does the other songs because his audience expects it. Meaning he wouldn't do them otherwise and do all AH material. So I'm wondering if the real reason Joe is doing mostly older songs is because he wants to? Maybe he's not as enthralled with his new material as he should be (it's good stuff). Maybe the issue is a live setting? Maybe he doesn't think it plays as well live (I find that hard to believe) or with the musicians and singers he has on hand. Obviously, I have no idea what it is. It could be that in this day and age when people steal music rather than buy it, he doesn't see the point in promoting the new album for sales and so just does what he wants.

The obvious choice for a third song is Wrecking Ball, and doesn't Springsteen have a new album out called that? Maybe he doesn't want fans to be confused? There are others he could do... Maybe he just hasn't given it that much thought.
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Quote Originally Posted by VAisForEagleLovers View Post
    So I'm wondering if the real reason Joe is doing mostly older songs is because he wants to?
    The only thing I can say to this is he has said at Eagles shows (and even his solo shows) before Life's Been Good that if he knew he was going to have to play it forever he would have written something different. Now, I know that was a joke, but it's got to tell us that he's probably pretty tired of playing the same old songs over and over again, year after year. Don and Glenn have also had similar comments about getting tired of doing some songs. So, here he has the opportunity to do new songs from a new album and we only get one or two! I don't get it!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten