Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast

Thread: Why doesn't Joe do pretty songs anymore?

Default Re: Why doesn't Joe do pretty songs anymore?

Quote Originally Posted by Brooke View Post
    The only thing I can say to this is he has said at Eagles shows (and even his solo shows) before Life's Been Good that if he knew he was going to have to play it forever he would have written something different. Now, I know that was a joke, but it's got to tell us that he's probably pretty tired of playing the same old songs over and over again, year after year. Don and Glenn have also had similar comments about getting tired of doing some songs. So, here he has the opportunity to do new songs from a new album and we only get one or two! I don't get it!
    Brooke, I don't get it either. My only guess is that the musicians he has with him on the tour are not the ones on the recordings, so maybe it's more difficult to do the new songs! I'm not sure what the issue is, but he should be doing more from Analog Man on the tour! Thought he was promoting it??

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by VAisForEagleLovers View Post
    FP, I have to wonder here. Glenn did 8 then 9 songs from AH because that's the music he wants to do. He loves those songs and loves performing them. He should since he does them so very well. His interviews in and around the show all but flat out state he does the other songs because his audience expects it. Meaning he wouldn't do them otherwise and do all AH material. So I'm wondering if the real reason Joe is doing mostly older songs is because he wants to? Maybe he's not as enthralled with his new material as he should be (it's good stuff). Maybe the issue is a live setting? Maybe he doesn't think it plays as well live (I find that hard to believe) or with the musicians and singers he has on hand. Obviously, I have no idea what it is. It could be that in this day and age when people steal music rather than buy it, he doesn't see the point in promoting the new album for sales and so just does what he wants.

The obvious choice for a third song is Wrecking Ball, and doesn't Springsteen have a new album out called that? Maybe he doesn't want fans to be confused? There are others he could do... Maybe he just hasn't given it that much thought.
    That is what I have alluded to previously; the lack of confidence in the new material suggests that (like me) he doesn't actually think that much of it.

But as I said, this is a minority view; most people here want him to play it.

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    That is what I have alluded to previously; the lack of confidence in the new material suggests that (like me) he doesn't actually think that much of it.

But as I said, this is a minority view; most people here want him to play it.
    I really highly doubt that is the case! Why would he even BOTHER to release it if he didn't think much of it, especially since he hasn't done a new cd in years! That makes no sense.....I do think it's the musicians available. I mean he has Jeff Lynne & Ringo on the album & he couldn't take them on the tour with him.....just another theory? behind the madness.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Topkat View Post
    I really highly doubt that is the case! Why would he even BOTHER to release it if he didn't think much of it, especially since he hasn't done a new cd in years! That makes no sense.....I do think it's the musicians available. I mean he has Jeff Lynne & Ringo on the album & he couldn't take them on the tour with him.....just another theory? behind the madness.
    I know that. It seems crazy.

I don't believe he was ever going to be able to play with Jeff and/or Ringo; you adapt & use who you can. That is what professional musicans do. I think the 'he can't get the musicians he wants' theory doesn't make much more sense than the 'he doesn't like the album' theory.

Quote Originally Posted by Topkat View Post
    Brooke, I don't get it either. My only guess is that the musicians he has with him on the tour are not the ones on the recordings, so maybe it's more difficult to do the new songs! I'm not sure what the issue is, but he should be doing more from Analog Man on the tour! Thought he was promoting it??
    Professional musicians can learn parts. These are not elaborate symphonic pieces we're talking about here, but basic rock songs like "Wrecking Ball" and "One Day at a Time."

I think the most likely theory is that he believes his audience doesn't want to hear anything new and this tour is not so much about promoting the album as it is about making money in between Eagles gigs. An increase in album sales is simply an added bonus.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    Professional musicians can learn parts. These are not elaborate symphonic pieces we're talking about here, but basic rock songs like "Wrecking Ball" and "One Day at a Time."

I think the most likely theory is that he believes his audience doesn't want to hear anything new and this tour is not so much about promoting the album as it is about making money in between Eagles gigs. An increase in album sales is simply an added bonus.
    That made me laugh! Do you think he's not making ENOUGH MONEY as an EAGLE????? Are you serious? He doesn't need the money, that I'm almost positive about...

Who knows the reason he's not promoting the album?? It's the enigma that is Joe Walsh! He does whatever the heck he wants to do!

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post

I don't believe he was ever going to be able to play with Jeff and/or Ringo; you adapt & use who you can. That is what professional musicans do. I think the 'he can't get the musicians he wants' theory doesn't make much more sense than the 'he doesn't like the album' theory.
    Exactly!! I mean look at the people Timothy had on Expando yet when he went out on the road, his band pulled off all but one of the songs off Expando with no problem at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Sodascouts

Quote Originally Posted by Topkat
    That made me laugh! Do you think he's not making ENOUGH MONEY as an EAGLE????? Are you serious? He doesn't need the money, that I'm almost positive about...
    Yeah--I really do think it's all about the money! I mean, do you seriously think ANY of them NEED the money but yet they keep going out there and they keep asking top dollar for concert tickets (Timothy seems to be the exception to the rule). They will all keep doing it as long as fans keep shelling out the big bucks! I think Soda hit the nail right on the head--you betcha it has a lot to do about $$$$$$$!!!!
    He sings it high, he plays it low

TimothyBFan
    Yeah--I really do think it's all about the money! I mean, do you seriously think ANY of them NEED the money but yet they keep going out there and they keep asking top dollar for concert tickets (Timothy seems to be the exception to the rule). They will all keep doing it as long as fans keep shelling out the big bucks! I think Soda hit the nail right on the head--you betcha it has a lot to do about $$$$$$$!!!!
    I think The Eagles as a band are all about the Money, but as individuals, I don't really think so. They do get the big bucks as a band, but the solo shows are in smaller venues with lower than Eagle prices, that's for sure. Other solos that tour charge about the same for a show. Joe is not really more money than other people out there on tour.

I really do not think the solo shows are all about the $$$$$. If that's the case, he could have done a tour even without a new cd. Also the tours are not really that big. I think maybe they each like to do their own thing, without the rest of the band. Maybe they are also facing the fact that they may not be able to do it much longer, so they want to do it while they still can.

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

I do think it's about the money, but yeah, I think a highly motivating factor is doing it while they can and also for the fans. I think our guys have a true appreciation for their fans and love us as much as we love them. Unfortunately the ones who want PMAIAR aren't going to scream it at every break like the big dudes sitting all around me shouted for Turn to Stone until he finally sang it. So sometimes their feedback is a little skewed.
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by TimothyBFan View Post
    Agree with you 100% here!!!! I didn't even touch on that statement yesterday when I posted because it was so outrageous! There's always those drunks in the audience but 95%? Seriously?
    Yes, I did mess that up. Should have been 95% are casual fans, as in not a fanatic like me. With some drunks and kooks thrown in. I go to a wide variety of shows, and the atmosphere is different than it used to be. That was the point I was trying to get at, but failed. I have opinions too, so what. I can even bitch about bitchin if I like. It's the negativity that's tiresome... mad about didn't do this song, mad about did that song, too much this, not enough that. Whatta drag, 2 bad 4 u....I'm just trying to be grateful for what is and not constantly crab about what's not. I've had a large dose of bigger picture living that's changed perspectives and priorities, this is so trivial. Here's to being more outrageous. I'm gonna go try that.
    http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5084/5316660629_4a27633c34.jpg
    Good morning my ...
    ~Deb~