Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast

Thread: Why doesn't Joe do pretty songs anymore?

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Why doesn't Joe do pretty songs anymore?

Quote Originally Posted by jdubfan View Post
    Yes, I did mess that up. Should have been 95% are casual fans, as in not a fanatic like me. With some drunks and kooks thrown in. I go to a wide variety of shows, and the atmosphere is different than it used to be. That was the point I was trying to get at, but failed. I have opinions too, so what. I can even bitch about bitchin if I like. It's the negativity that's tiresome... mad about didn't do this song, mad about did that song, too much this, not enough that. Whatta drag, 2 bad 4 u....I'm just trying to be grateful for what is and not constantly crab about what's not. I've had a large dose of bigger picture living that's changed perspectives and priorities, this is so trivial. Here's to being more outrageous. I'm gonna go try that.
    I don't see this discussion as 'negative' or 'trivial'. I see that everyone including you has the right to express their opinions about some perfectly valid issues.
    Last edited by Freypower; 08-21-2012 at 10:37 PM.

I actually find this kind of thread stimulating. We can put our evaluative caps on. I love to gush as much as the next fan, and I do so on a regular basis! However, there are two sides to every coin, and intelligent exploration is always worthwhile.... IMHO, at least.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

I find all of the discussion very interesting. What does it hurt to discuss it? Can't we have a discussion without getting upset and mad?

jdfan, I don't know of anyone that is mad about anything here. I wasn't mad about it, I am just disappointed that Joe has a new album out and doesn't want to play over a couple songs from it. I think any of the professional musicians that he has touring with him are certainly able to play the songs. Good grief, they are professionals!

I love all the Eagles and love hearing most any of their songs anytime. And it wouldn't make me decide to not go see them if all they were going to do were the oldies. So, if he chooses to not play anything new, I guess that is his perogative. But wouldn't you think if he was going to be bored with something, that he would be bored with LBG or RMW, for instance, and when he has a chance to play new stuff, play it?

But why did he do all the interviews and promotions for it and then decide not to do it? He launched a major tour for it. I wish I could ask him that question.
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    I don't see this discussion as 'negative' or 'trivial'. I see that everyone including you has the right to express their opinions about some perfectly valid issues.
    Close, but i didn't say the discussion was trivial. I said it was trivial to me right now. I don't see this discussion as particularly negative either, it's a cumulative thing from other threads and discussions about the tour, the new music, etc. You've been complaining about the setlist. Not that you're not free to do that, but to have not even seen a show, I'm not sure how that's quite fair. Have you ever seen a solo Joe show?

But why did he do all the interviews and promotions for it and then decide not to do it? He launched a major tour for it. I wish I could ask him that question.

Brooke, Joe's said in interviews that he feels he's doing what the people want. And it is a shame. Maybe next tour.
    http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5084/5316660629_4a27633c34.jpg
    Good morning my ...
    ~Deb~

Stuck on the Border

Close, but i didn't say the discussion was trivial. I said it was trivial to me right now. I don't see this discussion as particularly negative either, it's a cumulative thing from other threads and discussions about the tour, the new music, etc. You've been complaining about the setlist. Not that you're not free to do that, but to have not even seen a show, I'm not sure how that's quite fair. Have you ever seen a solo Joe show?

Brooke, Joe's said in interviews that he feels he's doing what the people want. And it is a shame. Maybe next tour.
    Because I have not (and will not) seen a solo show, it's not quite fair that I comment on the setlist? I'm sorry, but as a fan, I have as much right to comment on this as anybody else. I will never see a Joe solo show; so am I supposed to stay silent? In fact all I have done is express bemusment that he is not playing new songs and agreed with other people that he could play some ballads. I haven't said anything about the choice of other songs apart from ILBTs which frankly, I find bizarre (it would be similar to Glenn playing Better In The USA). I did make specific mention of In The City, which although I like it, I believe has been played live for far too long by both Joe & the Eagles at the expense of superior songs.

I did see Joe back in the 80s in Australia with the Party Boys & the Creatures From America when he was still fuelled by alcohol & those were great shows. But I very much doubt that he would ever tour solo here again.

For the record, I believe the Eagles' setlist is in dire need of shaking up as well.
    Last edited by Freypower; 08-22-2012 at 10:34 PM.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Well - I've been wanting to post in this thread all week, and just haven't had the time until now. My first thought is that this is an Eagles message board for fans, so the reason most of us are here are to talk about the band and it's members. In the big scheme of things, I guess you could say this discussion is trivial, but it's certainly not if you are here to voice your opinion as a fan. I agree with Brooke - it's a shame that we can't seem to have a good discussion on the board anymore without someone getting offended or upset.

So, here is my opinion ...

With regard to the original question in this thread, I honestly don't care what songs Joe or any of the guys perform when I go to a show within reason. Of course, I have my favorite songs and would love to hear them, but, it's okay if I don't. For me, if I were to go to a show where I didn't know most of the songs, I would not find it as enjoyable - that's about my only criteria. I'm just easy that way. My guess is that Joe probably picks his setlist based on what he thinks the audience wants to hear, along with some things he personally wants to play.

However, I am a bit baffled over why Joe isn't playing more songs from Analog Man on this tour. When I saw him in Vienna last week, he hardly made mention of the album. IMO, four songs would be about perfect. Since the comparison was made to Glenn's After Hours tour, I'll weigh in on that as well. Even though I know a lot of folks here don't agree with me, I personally felt Glenn did too many songs from the album on his recent mini-tour. I think that many slow songs all bunched up together brought down Glenn's usual high-energy live show. For me, part of the live show experience is seeing the audience really get into the show, and I just didn't feel that at some of the After Hours shows (Borderers excluded, of course). I think 4 -5 songs from a new album is about right for an artist (Timothy's Expando-heavy shows being an exception). So for me, there's not enough Analog Man from Joe, and too much After Hours from Glenn. But, the bottom line is that won't stop me from going to see them or make me love them any less.

One more thing I wanted to say is that there is no way I believe any of the Eagles are still touring collectively or solo is just for the money. I'm not saying it's not a factor, but no one will ever make me believe it is the main reason. These guys are pretty wealthy, if they didn't love what they were doing, they would just rest on their laurels, fade off into the sunset, and live the rest of their lives doing what they want to do. And that's my point - I believe they are living their lives doing exactly what they want to do. And I say kudos to them - I think they've earned that right! I just wish it were me.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

It's the negativity that's tiresome... mad about didn't do this song, mad about did that song, too much this, not enough that. Whatta drag, 2 bad 4 u....I'm just trying to be grateful for what is and not constantly crab about what's not. I've had a large dose of bigger picture living that's changed perspectives and priorities, this is so trivial. Here's to being more outrageous. I'm gonna go try that.
    First, I just want to say, I'm sorry for whatever it is that is the "large dose of bigger picture" and that I SOOOOOOO get that!! I've been there, done that-- BIG TIME!! You're not alone in that. I lost BOTH of my parents to horrible, ugly, long illnesses within a couple years of each other and saw both of them take their last breaths in freakin' hospital rooms. And during those couple of years, lost several other loved ones, including 5 damn funerals between June and August of last year. Yeah---I got my dose of the "bigger picture" too.

That being said, I didn't take it out on anyone else on this board when they expressed their opinion about a setlist, a song that wasn't sung, a drunk at a concert, etc.... I respect everyone's opinions here, even if I don't agree with them and I try to discuss anything in a respectful manner. I never once have called anyone's opinion "trivial" (yes I know you tried to clarify it later as saying trivial to you but I must admit, the way you worded it above, I also thought you were calling other's opinions trivial). I think we'd all agree that it's ok to disagree and tell others you do but it's all about HOW you do it. And quite frankly, I find your last several post here kinda of disrespectful and harsh.

Please don't take this the wrong way, jdub, if you find others "negativity" and "bitchin'" "tiresome", perhaps you should step away from it for awhile. Afterall, this is a discussion board and the discussion is probably not always going to be about what everyone agrees on.

Quote Originally Posted by I've always been a dreamer
    I agree with Brooke - it's a shame that we can't seem to have a good discussion on the board anymore without someone getting offended or upset.
    You said a mouthful there, ladies!!! It's getting increasingly frustrating for me also and that saddens me very much.

Quote Originally Posted by I've always been a dreamer
    One more thing I wanted to say is that there is no way I believe any of the Eagles are still touring collectively or solo is just for the money. I'm not saying it's not a factor, but no one will ever make me believe it is the main reason. These guys are pretty wealthy, if they didn't love what they were doing, they would just rest on their laurels, fade off into the sunset, and live the rest of their lives doing what they want to do. And that's my point - I believe they are living their lives doing exactly what they want to do. And I say kudos to them - I think they've earned that right! I just wish it were me.
    Yeah--I know you're right. I guess I shouldn't have said it the way I did. But it does seem to be one of the factors tho. I need to remember to keep it in perspective and that they are wealthy and very well could call it quits any time and I sure don't want that to happen.

But, just in case they want to make just a little more money off of all of us here, I have some advice..... GET THAT DVD DONE BECAUSE I KNOW OF A FEW FANS THAT WILL BE SHELLING OUT MONEY FOR THAT!!!
    He sings it high, he plays it low

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Quote Originally Posted by TimothyBFan View Post
    But, just in case they want to make just a little more money off of all of us here, I have some advice..... GET THAT DVD DONE BECAUSE I KNOW OF A FEW FANS THAT WILL BE SHELLING OUT MONEY FOR THAT!!!
    Alrightly - I'll definitely give this statement a big HELL YEAH!!!

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

[quote=TimothyBFan;190811]First, I just want to say, I'm sorry for whatever it is that is the "large dose of bigger picture" and that I SOOOOOOO get that!! I've been there, done that-- BIG TIME!! You're not alone in that. I lost BOTH of my parents to horrible, ugly, long illnesses within a couple years of each other and saw both of them take their last breaths in freakin' hospital rooms. And during those couple of years, lost several other loved ones, including 5 damn funerals between June and August of last year. Yeah---I got my dose of the "bigger picture" too.

That being said, I didn't take it out on anyone else on this board when they expressed their opinion about a setlist, a song that wasn't sung, a drunk at a concert, etc.... I respect everyone's opinions here, even if I don't agree with them and I try to discuss anything in a respectful manner. I never once have called anyone's opinion "trivial" (yes I know you tried to clarify it later as saying trivial to you but I must admit, the way you worded it above, I also thought you were calling other's opinions trivial). I think we'd all agree that it's ok to disagree and tell others you do but it's all about HOW you do it. And quite frankly, I find your last several post here kinda of disrespectful and harsh.

Please don't take this the wrong way, jdub, if you find others "negativity" and "bitchin'" "tiresome", perhaps you should step away from it for awhile. Afterall, this is a discussion board and the discussion is probably not always going to be about what everyone agrees on. ]

I guess you're right. Maybe I am farther gone than I thought. I'm the problem? Never meant to be that. Just trying to express how I feel like everyone else, poorly, evidently.
    http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5084/5316660629_4a27633c34.jpg
    Good morning my ...
    ~Deb~

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    Because I have not (and will not) seen a solo show,.
    FP--been meaning to ask you because you've mentioned this before.... Why won't you see a solo show? Is it because you simply don't think you'll ever get a chance of him coming there to do so? Or do you simply have no desire to see him? How about Timothy & Don if you got the chance? Just curious so feel free to tell me none of my business if you wish.
    He sings it high, he plays it low