Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Best Ever Eagles Song!!!

Default Re: Best Ever Eagles Song!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    Would you mind telling us why?

It's in my Top 5 but I think this is the first time I have come across someone who says it is their favourite song.
    D'you know how eyes are the window to the soul or whatever? Well, I used to try to 'read' people by making eye contact, and most of the time it actually works. If you become good enough at it, you can often tell when a person's lying, or when they're nervous, or sad, or happy, or interested, or excited, etc.

I used to fancy this lovely German girl who was, well, basically what the song describes. The eyes, the smile, the strength, the secrecy, the bit about 'pouring herself a strong one'...

That's what I find fascinating about music, and how you can sort of incorporate lyrics to your own life, as if the songwriters had penned them with your own little world in mind.

I also think the songs you really like at a certain time are reflect where you are in life, especially regarding love, of course. There was a time that I was obsessed with Beatles' 'Here, There and Everywhere', because it was a more, er, idealistic, if you will, type of love: attached, beautiful, codependant ('I want her everywhere...').

'Lyin' Eyes', while not describing love itself, describes a more realistic person. Paradoxically enough, those qualities that us men often tend to find risky or threatening about girls (such as the ability to be in control, cheat, etc.), are also the ones that could be the most endearing of them all. I was never able to 'crack' the code of what the German girl was about, and that made me want her even more. Just so you know, it didn't have a happy ending: she never liked me and our friendship was ruined, but whatever, life goes on

That was the long answer. Short one: I think it's a perfectly crafted song, both lyrically and musically. I love the harmonies, the way it tells the story, the way music and words connect to, and interact with, each other. I think the 'core' of it is so beuatifully simple and direct that there's no way around it, but at the same time it's got so many levels that you can always find (or create) different meanings between the lines. The perfect amalgamation of a wonderful poem and a wonderful composition. Very, very few musical pieces ever get to do that (usually lyrics are great but music not so much or viceversa).

Stuck on the Border Houston Baby's Avatar

Sebastian - I totally agree with what you are saying in your post here. I like how you stated ...."That's what I find fascinating about music, and how you can sort of incorporate lyrics to your own life, as if the songwriters had penned them with your own little world in mind." So true! Especially with Eagles songs!

I also agree that it is a "perfectly crafted song, both lyrically and musically".

And sorry about the girl. Unfortunately as we probably all know it happens to both genders - "those lying eyes".

Thank you for your well thought post!

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Sebastian - I really enjoyed reading your post and you certainly make a strong case for Lyin' Eyes. ITA with you about it being a perfect song. I know some folks think it's boring and too long, but I'm one that never tires of it. I love the story that the song tells - and the final lines in the last verse are some of my all-time favorites ...

"Ain't it funny how your new life didn't change things, you're still the same ole girl you used to be."

Sheer perfection to me! However, as I've said many times before, it's impossible for me to single out any best Eagles song because I can say exactly the same thing about so many of them.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Sebastian View Post
    D'you know how eyes are the window to the soul or whatever? Well, I used to try to 'read' people by making eye contact, and most of the time it actually works. If you become good enough at it, you can often tell when a person's lying, or when they're nervous, or sad, or happy, or interested, or excited, etc.

I used to fancy this lovely German girl who was, well, basically what the song describes. The eyes, the smile, the strength, the secrecy, the bit about 'pouring herself a strong one'...

That's what I find fascinating about music, and how you can sort of incorporate lyrics to your own life, as if the songwriters had penned them with your own little world in mind.

I also think the songs you really like at a certain time are reflect where you are in life, especially regarding love, of course. There was a time that I was obsessed with Beatles' 'Here, There and Everywhere', because it was a more, er, idealistic, if you will, type of love: attached, beautiful, codependant ('I want her everywhere...').

'Lyin' Eyes', while not describing love itself, describes a more realistic person. Paradoxically enough, those qualities that us men often tend to find risky or threatening about girls (such as the ability to be in control, cheat, etc.), are also the ones that could be the most endearing of them all. I was never able to 'crack' the code of what the German girl was about, and that made me want her even more. Just so you know, it didn't have a happy ending: she never liked me and our friendship was ruined, but whatever, life goes on

That was the long answer. Short one: I think it's a perfectly crafted song, both lyrically and musically. I love the harmonies, the way it tells the story, the way music and words connect to, and interact with, each other. I think the 'core' of it is so beuatifully simple and direct that there's no way around it, but at the same time it's got so many levels that you can always find (or create) different meanings between the lines. The perfect amalgamation of a wonderful poem and a wonderful composition. Very, very few musical pieces ever get to do that (usually lyrics are great but music not so much or viceversa).
    I love that. Thank you so much. The only thing I would have added is the effect of the lead vocal, one of Glenn's finest performances. I like how all three people are caught up in their own little worlds, to use a phrase from another song. The husband knows what the wife is doing. The lover, a shadowy figure, knows she won't stay with him. As for her... well, we know how she feels about it all.

(My sympathies about the German lady; as for your mention of the wonderful Here, There & Everywhere, a song from IMO the greatest album every made, compare that with the sentiments in another song from that album, For No-One). I'm not going to start about the Beatles but it's an interesting comparison.

Oh, yeah, I had a For No-One phase as well, when I was about 19 and had faced quite an awful heartbreak.

Another of the many aspects I love about 'Lyin' Eyes' is the Simon/Garfunkel-esque two-part harmony that Glenn and Don make at some points, it's so beautiful and the way those two voices blend is IMO absolutely perfect. As a contrast, 'Take It Easy' (another song I adore) doesn't have the same magic (IMO) when it comes to just Glenn and Don; Glenn and Randy, on the other hand, are just brilliant in that song.

I'd say 'Take It Easy' is definitely in my top five, together with 'Peaceful Easy Feeling', 'The Last Resort' and the odd one out: 'Get Over It'. I just love the lyrics of that one, and of course the guitar solos.

Border Desperado The Thrill Is Never Gone's Avatar

One of These Nights
    Take It to the Limit
    Desperado
    Hotel California
    Wasted Time
    Best of My Love
    Pretty Maids All in a Row
    Victim of Love
    Try and Love again
    My Man

I know that it said song, but this is my top 10.

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

Wow, Thrill, we agree on the top one, but after that, it's a lot different! Anyway, just love OOTN, and I'm so glad they've put it back in the setlist.

I think we have a thread somewhere about what songs you'd have to have if you were stranded on an island somewhere where people list their top Eagles songs. Might be one for all artists, too.
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

Border Desperado The Thrill Is Never Gone's Avatar

Yes, OOTN is my all time favorite.

Banned

My favorite is Try and Love again

My top 10:

-Best of My Love
    -Bitter Creek
    -Desperado
    -Earlybird
    -Midnight Flyer
    -One Day At A Time
    -One Of These Nights
    -Take It to the Limit
    -Train Leaves Here This Morning
    -Try and Love again

I can't pick an order, so i just went in chronological order until i hit my 10 favorite songs. So hard to choose! Guess I like the OOTN album more than I realized

Peaceful Easy Feeling
    Take it Easy
    Desperado
    Already Gone
    One of These Nights
    Lyin’ Eyes
    Take it to the Limit
    Hollywood Waltz
    Wasted Time
    The Last Resort