Page 17 of 118 FirstFirst ... 71314151617181920212767117 ... LastLast

Thread: Stevie Nicks

Default Re: Stevie Nicks

A couple articles about her just came out in V Magazine.

This is a quick Q&A:
    http://vmagazine.com/feature_article.php?n=13518

And in this, she talks about some vintage photos of her:
    http://www.vmagazine.com/blog.php?a=4

One of them is a 1979 cover of Rolling Stone where they did a photo shoot of the band together, but everyone else got cropped out except Stevie hanging off of Mick. Ouch!!!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Border Desperado AmarilloByMorning's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    One of them is a 1979 cover of Rolling Stone where they did a photo shoot of the band together, but everyone else got cropped out except Stevie hanging off of Mick. Ouch!!!
    Yipes! That would smart. It is a rather fantastic photo, though.

Her uncyclopedia article never fails to induce a cringe... why do people compare her to a goat? I don't understand. She's so cute! I love the one in the V Magazine artice you linked where she's grinning beneath a top hat. Completely adorable.

On an ancilary note, currently 64 people on here... Wednesday noon rush?

Finally arriving at the point... in anticipation of a Henley solo concert I might attend, I perused some of soda's Don & Stevie show reviews yesterday... She notes how differently the crowd respond to them - Don even says at one point after she appeared for a duet and the crowd exploded, "Don't worry, she'll be back!" Any theories on why people completely revere her and just kind of appreciate him, other than the obvious she's-open-and-accessible, he's-cold-and-sanctimonious?

Quote Originally Posted by AmarilloByMorning View Post
    in anticipation of a Henley solo concert I might attend, I perused some of soda's Don & Stevie show reviews yesterday... She notes how differently the crowd respond to them - Don even says at one point after she appeared for a duet and the crowd exploded, "Don't worry, she'll be back!" Any theories on why people completely revere her and just kind of appreciate him, other than the obvious she's-open-and-accessible, he's-cold-and-sanctimonious?
    Well, maybe the crowd response is just because a Stevie show is a different kind of show than a Henley one. Stevie wants people to stand and rock out, inviting them to run to the stage at the end so she can touch their hands.

Don tells folks to sit down until it's a fast song and others are standing (which is oxymoronic, because someone has to start it by standing before other people are!) Thus, the Don fans are more sedate as a rule at concerts.

Your last question about differences in fan attitudes is much more difficult to analyze, so I'll save that for later.

Any theories on why people completely revere her and just kind of appreciate him, other than the obvious she's-open-and-accessible, he's-cold-and-sanctimonious?
    Cold and sanctimonious? That's a little harsh, Amarillo. Some of us don't find that quite so "obvious."

Indeed, DF. Can the man who wrote "Talking to the Moon," "The End of the Innocence," and "Heart of the Matter" truly be cold? Those songs are so full of emotion they give me chills, and those are just three examples of many.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

I totally agree with y'all, DF and Soda. I daresay that most of us hardcores around here don't believe that Don is cold and sanctimonious. And OBTW Soda - you forgot Lilah, The Last Worthless Evening, and Taking You Home.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

You are so right, Soda and Dreamer. How about the beautiful "My Thanksgiving"?

"For every breath, for every day of living, this is my thanksgiving...."

Quote Originally Posted by AmarilloByMorning
    Her uncyclopedia article never fails to induce a cringe... why do people compare her to a goat? I don't understand.
    The goat thing is too lame for words. It's a joke about her famous vocal vibrato, denigrating what she is known for by saying it sounds like a braying goat. WhatEVER, that voice has made her billions of dollars, so they can take their criticism and stick it where the sun don't shine. I thought about reworking that Uncyclopedia article as I did Glenn's and Don's - it's SO unfunny - but I didn't have the time to do it justice. Another terribly sucky entry is Joe's. Wish I had time to fix 'em all!

Quote Originally Posted by AmarilloByMorning
    Any theories on why people completely revere her and just kind of appreciate him
    Well, I think we have to be careful of reductive generalities. There are Stevie fans who aren't ardently in her thrall, and Don fans who are very passionate about him. Also, I don't want to create a false division. Many Don fans like Stevie and vice versa.

That said, for those who have not read it, I explained my opinion about why Stevie's hardcore fans are so passionate in this post - scroll down to the text above and below the last video, "Battle of the Dragon." As I said in that post, I believe my feelings are representative of the bulk of Stevie hardcores, speaking from my own experience as someone who has been immersed in the culture.

However, Don Henley speaks to many people through his music, too. So, what's the deal?

Perhaps it's because her songs are so personal. She has written nothing she didn't live. When she sings of being in love, losing that love, suffering for that love... you know it's real emotion there.

Don will often write a song that reflects his own personal experiences, but he isn't quite ripping himself open and displaying his heart to the degree Stevie does. She doesn't hold anything back.

I think Don maybe isn't quite as comfortable with displaying so much naked emotion because he's a man. Certainly, though, his music is deeply personal and emotional - just in a more subtle way.

Another element could be Stevie's sense of drama. It feeds the passion of her music and intensifies the emotional impact. As a result, the devotion of hardcore fans is also dramatic in both the way it is experienced and the way it is demonstrated.

Eh, who knows! I'm just taking some guesses here.

Border Desperado AmarilloByMorning's Avatar

Okay, guys, I employed the two most hackneyed and jejune descriptors of the man specifically to convey my disregard for them and my genuine desire to uncover theories that might actually contain some veracity. I'm on your/his side! Call off the dogs!

Anyway, I enjoy your theories, soda. I'll never understand his missionary stance on stage ("don't talk amongst yourselves! don't stand!") but the rest of your comments do align with the theories I entertained. I suppose I'm just thinking too hard - I was considering the objective male/female ratio of the fanbase versus the average age of the fans and their prior experiences with the Eagles/FMac versus the band's image and basically executing my typical full-fledged there-has-to-be-something-more analysis.

Oh, and you might want to negotiate an agent's fee or something - I downloaded every song you recommended earlier, plus a number of them from the link you provided (thank you for that). So you're certainly doing your part to spread the Stevie spirit. I love her attitude. She strikes me sometimes as basically a heart with legs, which is just so endearing - that captivating quality thad rendered Judy Garland so precious.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

First of all, Soda, I enjoyed reading your thoughts on this, and I suspect that your 'guesses' may be right on.

Okay, guys, I employed the two most hackneyed and jejune descriptors of the man specifically to convey my disregard for them and my genuine desire to uncover theories that might actually contain some veracity. I'm on your/his side! Call off the dogs!
    ABM - I knew what you were trying to do here, but there are some people who take things very literally. Since your statements contained such strong language and you didn't qualify them, then it opened your words up for misinterpretations. So then, some of us hardcores felt inclined to step up and set the record straight. We can't let any perceived hatin' on our guys go unchallenged, ya know.

Anyway, I did enjoy your description of Stevie as a "heart with legs" - very appropriate, IMHO.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016