Page 6 of 25 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: Atlantic City 9/02/12

Stuck on the Border Henley Honey's Avatar

Default Re: Atlantic City 9/02

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    I'm not talking about whether or not something is a copyright violation here.

OK, then. That's the difference, That's exactly what I'm talking about. I don't think you can't pick and choose which part of the violation you agree with or if the the consensus of public opinion should alter that law.
    If I published a book and it was reproduced illegally in any way I would voraciously defend my right to my IP. I have to think I'd do the same if I'd published (or performed) a song.

I have news for you. There is already a video that someone posted on my FB page of The Long Run from Sun night show.

I have mixed feelings about the whole thing. Yes, it is really annoying when people video & block your view, but then everyone wants to see video.

I was just on the phone with a friend of mine, & she says that YouTube video keeps these older acts alive & people interested in them. The Eagles aren't played that much on the radio, so how are younger people going to get to know them unless it's from YouTube. Everyone else has accepted that this is the world we live in today,
    Years ago, if they said, "no cameras" at a venue, they take the camera away at the door, & give it back at the end of the show. If the Eagles want to be that strict about it, then maybe they need to take that step to insure no video is taken.

Stuck on the Border Tiffanny Twisted's Avatar

TK..
    I dont think that he camera was the issue.
    everyone has video capability on their phones today and I dont think everyperson in that venue was gonna surrender their phone nor would REvel or any venue wanna be resposible for that.
    At Ceasers for Celine Dion. They searched and confescated recording devises but that was 7 years ago before everyone had the ability to do it in their phones

Quote Originally Posted by Henley Honey View Post
    OK, then. That's the difference, That's exactly what I'm talking about. I don't think you can't pick and choose which part of the violation you agree with or if the the consensus of public opinion should alter that law.
    If I published a book and it was reproduced illegally in any way I would voraciously defend my right to my IP. I have to think I'd do the same if I'd published (or performed) a song.
    Isnt that what DH did??

Quote Originally Posted by Henley Honey View Post
    Since this is a thread about the concert, I was focusing on how this affected my concert experience. There are other threads dealing with the YouTube issue.

However, I have to say that consensus of public opinion alters laws all the time in a democracy. I personally think it's a good thing that the law is always adapting to societal change.

More and more artists are "seeing the light" with regard to YouTube. Despite my own feelings on the matter, though, I respect the Eagles' wishes and I don't film them anymore. I don't encourage anyone else to film them, either. On the other hand, since I do enjoy watching the videos others make, I feel it would be hypocritical for me to condemn them entirely.

I can't bring myself to regret filming the Eagles in the past before it became such a big deal to them. I treasure my little captured memories, and it makes me a little sad that I won't have any more of those.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by Tiffanny Twisted View Post
    TK..
    I dont think that he camera was the issue.
    everyone has video capability on their phones today and I dont think everyperson in that venue was gonna surrender their phone nor would REvel or any venue wanna be resposible for that.
    At Ceasers for Celine Dion. They searched and confescated recording devises but that was 7 years ago before everyone had the ability to do it in their phones
    TT, I think they can if they state it on the ticket, that all recording devices will be confiscated, or anyone caught video recording will have their device confiscated. People caught recording should have the device taken away & returned later. May cause a riot in there, but if people can't obey the rules, then maybe there should be consequences.
    I don't know, its a tough call.

Soda..you have a point about respecting the bands wishes...which is what it comes down to. and I think you are right that this issue might to service to be its own thread.

For me it bothered me that Dh was so upset..I think he felt the guy was"in HIs Face" about videoing him.

Its a disraction for the band and others who paid to enjoy the concert in the moment

Stuck on the Border Henley Honey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    Since this is a thread about the concert, I was focusing on how this affected my concert experience. There are other threads dealing with the YouTube issue.

However, I have to say that consensus of public opinion alters laws all the time in a democracy. I personally think it's a good thing that the law is always adapting to societal change.

More and more artists are "seeing the light" with regard to YouTube. Despite my own feelings on the matter, though, I respect the Eagles' wishes and I don't film them anymore. I don't encourage anyone else to film them, either. On the other hand, since I do enjoy the videos, I feel it would be hypocritical for me to condemn them.

I can't bring myself to regret filming the Eagles in the past before it became such a big deal to them. I treasure my little captured memories, and it makes me a little sad that I won't have any more of those.
    Well, since these comments occurred at the concert I thought it was appropriate to address them in this thread. If you think the discussion is better suited to another thread, then please use your Administrative powers and move it accordingly. As to artists "seeing the light" with regard to youtube -- who's light??? They certainly don't have to vote with the popular concensus. Again, I go back to ownership of the IP. We may feel that it should not be a big deal to them, but apparently they do -- and theirs is the only opinion that counts. They own the product and therefore can decide how and when it's used. I too love the captured memories, but I'm not the owner of the property. Again, if I wrote a book would I not be within my rights to safeguard where and how it's reproduced?

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

I have to say, again, Don saying what he did didn't bother me at all. I thought Glenn saying what he said in the middle of the song was a bit distracting and you know I don't like anything distracting me from Glenn! It was my opinion the first time around that those who had an issue with it are ones that feel if everybody does it, it must be right. Even if the law changes, it's a moral issue. Like adultery isn't illegal but it isn't right, either.

This discussion could be moved to another thread, however, it's people's intense feelings on this issue that had the words spoken during the concert be upsetting.

Other artists, from what I've read, haven't 'seen the light'. They've given up, given in. They've seen sales revenues plummet because people think it's OK to copy music. Now they're seeing concert revenue plummet. If it keeps up, the music industry will continue to deteriorate because people won't do it for free. And people filming at the concerts, bothering other people while doing it is annoying.
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

It's quite natural that the discussion would go this way because of what was said at the concerts. Nobody did anything wrong by discussing it. However, I don't want to see the entire thread become dedicated to the debate, so I went and dug up these:

Copyright Trolls Steal All the Fun (this is the original thread about this debate and it's pretty old, but it hashes out most of the points and counterpoints being brought up here)

Here's another older one from Don Henley in the Press: https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/...ube#post119006

More recently, the related conversation about SOPA (PROTECT-IP) starts with Post 687 in Don Henley in the Press:
    https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/...outube&page=69

Feel free to add your thoughts on this issue to those threads. I think it's a very relevant discussion.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten