Page 7 of 25 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Thread: Atlantic City 9/02/12

Stuck on the Border Witchy Woman's Avatar

Default Re: Atlantic City 9/02

While I totally understand the reasons why they don't want video taken, and completely agree with it being a copyright violation, I don't understand the problem with photo taking. Most of us like to have souvenirs of our concert experiences, and that includes pictures. As long as I don't take professional photographs and sell them for profit I should have the right to take a crappy cell phone or camera picture for posterity. I was a bit startled when Don got angry and I stopped taking pictures, because I felt I was disrespecting him, and I didn't want to do that.

Stuck on the Border

I am going to be blunt here. While I understand Don's reasons, his diatribes are becoming tedious (I guess I am lucky that I've never actually sat through one of them). I get the impression that Glenn felt embarrased by his behaviour.

Glenn wasn't happy about someone taking photos from all over the place at his LA show. It would seem that if he comes here & I go & see him, I should not attempt to take photos, and I think that's a shame.

Quote Originally Posted by VAisForEagleLovers View Post
    I have to say, again, Don saying what he did didn't bother me at all. I thought Glenn saying what he said in the middle of the song was a bit distracting and you know I don't like anything distracting me from Glenn! It was my opinion the first time around that those who had an issue with it are ones that feel if everybody does it, it must be right. Even if the law changes, it's a moral issue. Like adultery isn't illegal but it isn't right, either.

This discussion could be moved to another thread, however, it's people's intense feelings on this issue that had the words spoken during the concert be upsetting.

Other artists, from what I've read, haven't 'seen the light'. They've given up, given in. They've seen sales revenues plummet because people think it's OK to copy music. Now they're seeing concert revenue plummet. If it keeps up, the music industry will continue to deteriorate because people won't do it for free. And people filming at the concerts, bothering other people while doing it is annoying.
    I don't think it makes sales plummet at all. Seeing a video of the Eagles would only make me want to see them live. How do you think people get so popular these days? It's from YouTube, not the radio. Besides, anyone could always record a song off the radio, even when there were only cassettes. I did that all the time. It didn't stop me from buying an album or seeing a concert. Video is not like a live show, it's not the same experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    I am going to be blunt here. While I understand Don's reasons, his diatribes are becoming tedious (I guess I am lucky that I've never actually sat through one of them). I get the impression that Glenn felt embarrased by his behaviour.
    Hate to tell you this, FP, but Glenn's in on this too! Don didn't say a word about it Sunday night.

That said, Glenn did try to lighten the mood on Saturday after Don gave his copyright speech. I don't think he was embarrassed by what Don said, but he did seem to be trying to make startled audience members smile again. He succeeded. The guy next to me laughingly said "I love that guy" after Glenn joked that he didn't even let his kids take photos of him anymore, lol.

I think if the guys ask nicely and in a light-hearted manner, few people mind and most will stop videoing. Yeah, they won't get 100% compliance, but they won't get 100% compliance if they're preachy or scolding either.

If security more effectively enforced "no videos" the Eagles wouldn't have to say anything and we wouldn't have this problem.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border

I know Glenn is in on it, but he comes across, as you have described, as a great deal less preachy than his colleague. At least on this occasion.

Thanks for The fantastic photos and Reviews!
    "For the record, we never broke up, we just took a 14-year vacation!"
    (Glenn Frey)

still haven't come down from cloud 9 after the weekend...it definitely went way too fast...It was so good to see border friends and meet some new ones like TT and JAHH, and Topkat...and Dreamer's friends Darlene and her hubby!
    The Revel is amazing and a maze!...I felt lost and disoriented in that place the whole time I was there (and no it wasn't seeing Timothy that made me feel that way like my sister suggested!)...the place is soooo huge and there is more than one way to get to different places in it and I never could get my bearings...but it was beautiful...the view from the 40th floor was awesome...wish the weather had been better...Can't say much about the concerts that hasn't already been said...the boys were amazing...of course...
    My seat for Saturday was really good and I had almost the exact seat bought for Sunday...but when I found out there was a seat in row BB on Timothy's side I couldn't resist upgrading my ticket!!...thought BB was second row, but turned out to be first...I highly recommend sitting in the first row...It was amazing...and a totally different experience from sitting farther back! Yeah, I thought I would pass out when sweet Timothy came over and played right in front of us!!...I think I could have reached over the rope and touched him!....these guys are so incredibly talented and the music from forty years ago still holds up as good as ever...Joe always seems to bring the house down!...just the first chord of any of his songs brings the place to it's feet...I had really cool people around me on Sunday too...this couple that sat near me was awesome...fans since the beginning and were so into it and sweet...loved them...after Timothy came over and played right in front of us she high fived and hugged me...she was so excited for me!...it was very cute!...and the whole section stood for probably half the concert...on Saturday night the people around me were much quieter and didn't stand much...I like the standing,yelling, clapping, dancing people around me!!!...My sister said I sounded drunk on the phone after the show Sunday...she said I sounded giddy!...I told her no, not drunk...just on an Eagles high...and can't wait for the next one

Zelda, Your pictures came out great. Mine really didn't, so I'm glad to see yours & VA's pics! I still haven't been able to load them. My first front row at an Eagles show was quite an experience..... I think I was in a trance most of the show. I was very happy sitting on TBS side of the stage. I think I may have been yelling a bit too much because I had a bit of a sore throat by the time I got home.

We had a great time & the people sitting near us were really nice & totally into the show! The guys seemed to be in a great mood & very relaxed.. I thought the acoustics at the venue were excellent & their voices sounded spot on....I did see the security people tell a few people not to film.

One thought on this set list. Although it is shorter than the tours they had done previously, I did not feel cheated in any way. They played for 2 hours & I'm not sure that we can expect more than that. Most concerts you see lately, play a 90 minute set. That is the normal these days. I love that they started with 7 Bridges Road. I'm also glad they moved HC & TIE to the encore. I always felt these songs should be at the end of the show. I'm not sure that the 40 Anniversary tour is going to be a 3 hour show as they had done in the past. It may be a different set list, but I'm not so sure it's going to be much longer than this.

Overall, we all had a great time & it was so nice to meet up with fellow Borderers before & after the show! Great to finally meet Soda, VA, HH, Dreamer, Zelda after being on this board for almost a year now.

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

FP, when Glenn made his comment about his kids taking pictures after Don's comment (it wasn't really a diatribe) I felt he was showing the fans he was agreeing with what Don said. For the concert in LA, you had told me she was moving all over the place and distracting him. My impression from the previous concerts was that he didn't mind pictures as long as you sat in one place, lifted the camera, snapped, put it back down.

WW, I think the only problem they have with photos is when it's distracting them or those around the person taking the photo. And, of course, flash from the front rows. It's hard enough for them to see with the spotlights, then someone blinds them with a flash.

Zelda, nice pics! I got your message when I woke this morning, I'd already shut off the phone for the night.

TK, I kind of agree about the setlist. I do miss the extra thirty minutes of music because I can never hear these guys live enough. I really miss NKIT. The setlist they have now, though, has a great flow to it, IMO.
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

I remember one of the shows in Chicago a few years ago, Glenn actually said something like "take all the pictures you want, just don't film us. We don't come to your job and film you." He's usually so light hearted about it, it kind of surprised me when I read that he actually had said what he did Sunday night, right in the middle of a song. That would of brought me down--FAST! As for Don, no surprise there, in fact, it's gotten to the point that I almost expect it. Don't get me wrong, I love Don's talent and I love my Eagles but I don't like this kind of stuff. But ever since the whole flyers on the seats in Indy (wasn't it) about standing during the concert, nothing surprises me. I would never video them... EVER... because I'd be to afraid to be on the other end of Don or Glenn's wrath. Don't want to go there.

As for it ending up on YouTube... CRAP!!! It doesn't take away from their sells. And for some of us, that completely refuse to pay that kind of money for a front row or decent seat to one of their concerts, it's as close to a live show as I will probably ever get again. Just my opinion.

As for other artist overcoming it.... There are definitely some artist that absolutely EMBRACE it and post their own stuff on YouTube, etc.... As a small example, I've stated before how Styx goes so far as to grab your cameras, phones, etc and take them up on stage and do their own taping/picture taking before handing it back to the audience member. At their concert in June, Tommy, JY & Lawrence actually goofed and posed during a song when someone was making no secret of taping and after the song, Tommy said "Stick that on YouTube!".

It is what it is!! Times have changed and I wish the Eagles would lighten up.
    He sings it high, he plays it low