Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Eagles & YouTube etc

Default Eagles & YouTube etc

Don't know whether I should have posted this in another thread, if so please move it.

With all the recent discussion in the thread for the Atlantic City shows reviews, I got to thinking about this topic.

Of course, the Eagles(and all performers) have the right not to allow videoing at their shows, but I’ve been thinking about just how much of a problem videoing at Eagles shows and posting the videos on YouTube really is.

Since the start of the LROOE tour in March 2008 the Eagles have performed about 200 shows. Have you ever seen videos of a whole show on YouTube? I haven’t .

The audience for each show is between about 8,000 – 40,000 people.

On average videos of 3-4 songs from any show will be posted on YouTube. 1 or 2 people will post videos from a show. Of the 200 shows, I have probably seen videos posted from around 30 shows.

Of the videos I've seen, about 80% are of poor quality, being taken from a long way away from the stage, badly affected by the stage lights or very wobbly. The rest range from being watchable to fairly good, but not of professional quality. These videos will never be an alternative to seeing a live show – there’s just no comparison. I believe most people value these videos as personal reminders of the show they attended.

Who watches these videos on YouTube? I would guess it’s mostly die-hard fans like us here on the Border, who like to see shows they’ve been to, and who will go to future shows anyway, so I don’t think it can be argued that people will watch these poor quality videos instead of going to a show.

I understand that there is a principle here about copyright. I’m neither defending nor criticising taking videos at shows; however, it seems that the issue has been blown out of all proportion.

Note: These figures are not facts, they are just my personal experience. I’m willing to be proven wrong!!

It is probably true to say that there are more audio recordings than videos being posted on the net and offered for sale. While it’s possible that these could have an effect on CD sales they often have a lot of audience noise, so they’d don’t really replace the experience of listening to the songs as the artist recorded them. They may even encourage people to buy a genuine CD.
    Again, this is just my view on the issue.

Stuck on the Border Tiffanny Twisted's Avatar

Default Re: Eagles & YouTube etc

good one steph.

I just posted in another thread bout wanting to look your best on a video and thats what I think is the bottom line for them. Think about what they put in to making live from Melbourne. The quality.'They probably dont want some idiot in the audience thinking he is an amature Steven SPeiberg filming them with poor quality from equipment in the nose bleed section and posting it all over the world. He everybody wants to look their best. ANd if they cant control it then there is no controbution to the retirment fund.

Me, I would rather have the memory of the show in my mind and heart, then watch some poor quality video....If I want quality , I would watch a dvd. I want that one or two quality picture I can get for my own scrapbook and enjoyment. I dont sell them I only put them up on my desk to look at and get me through a hard day at work.It takes me to my happy place.

Thanks for starting this post..Great idea.

tt

Stuck on the Border

There was virtually no video of Glenn's tour on YouTube. I tend to agree that the issue has been blown way out of proportion.

The Eagles have not released a DVD since 2005; as opposed to bands like Rush who seem to put one out every two years. If the Eagles want to satisfy their fans they should release more official concert DVDs (of course this would mean changing the setlist occasionally). If Glenn released a DVD of his After Hours show I would be the happiest person alive.

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    If Glenn released a DVD of his After Hours show I would be the happiest person alive.
    You might have some competition for that!
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

TT - I thought it might get other Borderers thinking, and I'm always open to listening to others views on these controversial topics. Lively discussion is good, so long as it stays friendly!

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    There was virtually no video of Glenn's tour on YouTube. I tend to agree that the issue has been blown way out of proportion.

The Eagles have not released a DVD since 2005; as opposed to bands like Rush who seem to put one out every two years. If the Eagles want to satisfy their fans they should release more official concert DVDs (of course this would mean changing the setlist occasionally). If Glenn released a DVD of his After Hours show I would be the happiest person alive.

Good point Freypower. The Eagles should put out more official videos.

Stuck on the Border Tiffanny Twisted's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by StephUK View Post
    TT - I thought it might get other Borderers thinking, and I'm always open to listening to others views on these controversial topics. Lively discussion is good, so long as it stays friendly!
    Yep friendly is the key. lol

Yes, I agree , more eagles videos released please..r u guys listening to us fans???????

I think we'd all fight for first place in line to buy the dvd "after hours" one of Glenns. Remember, I the concert was my birthday present and I thought he did the show just for me LOL . Didnt you guys at the sands show see the big red bow with the tag that said TT"s bday gift????? around his neck???

Ok so we are in agreement...more quality eagles as a group and as solo artists dvds for us die hard border fans.Right?????

Steph, I just read your entire post above. It's hard to say how many videos are posted. The videos that were posted the other day, I paid attention since someone said I could be seen from the back, most of the videos were yanked in one day. Since we were having this discussion, I checked the list from one poster, he posted at least seven videos and the only ones still up are HC and Joe's songs.
    VK

I don't think they don't want videos up because of the way they LOOK. I really don't think it has a darn thing to do with that.... It has everything to do with the COPYRIGHT issue. I think they are all over that & that is the reason they don't want anyone getting a FREE recording of them performing.
    Also, many people download the video to MP3 & put it on their Ipod, therefore getting a song for free.....OMG!!!! Someone getting a free song....Sheeh

YES, they should put out more dvd's of their concerts, so that we can see some of the shows we may have missed. Sometimes it's nice to have the moment on video to relive a memory, just like a photo. These people are not selling anything or making a profit from these videos. Why they care so much is just a mystery to me.

I just do NOT get it. Every other band or performer does not care a hoot that they have stuff on YouTube...Many encourage it & they do get more popular from it!! I just don't think anything is going to change as far as their policy on this stuff. It has been this way for years & it's not changed one bit....It is what it is.

Granted, I've not been to many concerts in the last few years, but the Eagles are the only ones I've been to lately that allow photographs. None have allowed video to be taken.

Other artists may have given in or given up. Many here have denied it, but I have nephews and a younger brother, all teens, and they honestly can't figure out why I buy CDs or mp3s. "You can hear it on YouTube for free." It's more than concert footage that's out there, there's pictures with lyrics, etc. They honestly think the only mp3s they need to buy is what they want on their mp3 players, and even then, there's audio rippers. I have friends, all of whom make significantly more money than I do, and they own music collections with the number of songs over ten thousand, over half of it copied or ripped from YouTube or Spotify. At least on Spotify, a few pennies go to the artist every time someone listens to the song.

In my opinion, our guys have their eyes on the bigger picture. They have their money, but it's their music and it doesn't need to be given away. Younger musicians who are just getting started, they'll never make the money that artists used to make. So why do it if you need to keep a day job to eat? So what music is there to listen to ten years from now?

They realize that the world is changing and adjustments need to be made. They just want them to be fair and for the music industry to have a future.
    VK