Page 1 of 36 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: "After Hours" Survivor

Default "After Hours" Survivor

Time for After Hours Survivor, where we vote off Glenn’s songs from After Hours until we get to the last one standing!

If you're new, for a basic overview of the game, see this post: Survivor Overview

I'm going to list the songs from After Hours here. Vote for the song that you feel should be eliminated from the list. The song that gets the most votes will be taken off of the list (or, in the language of Survivor, "Voted off of the island.") Each round, one more song will get axed, until there's only one left. Remember: you're voting for the song you want taken off, not the song you want to stay.

Note: Do not criticize how/why other people vote. Their reasons are their own and they are free to vote however they like. Also, never attack a fellow poster. You can disagree about a certain song without making it personal. Sometimes these games can get heated, but remember.. it's still just a game.

Each round will last 48 hours after posting to give people a chance to vote who don't post every day. That means that the first round will be over at 8:00 Eastern time the day after tomorrow. Any votes cast on or after 8:00 Eastern the second day will not be counted. If you're going to wait 'til the last minute, be sure you leave yourself enough time to hit "submit"!

If you miss a round, don't think you can't play. It's all good!

Since there may be discussion posts, be sure to make it clear when you are casting your vote. Votes cannot be changed once you have voted, even if you make a mistake - so be sure you get it right the first time!

If you get confused about what round we are in, look at this post. I'll always update it to reflect the current round. Also feel free to post any questions if you don't understand what's going on.

If there is a tiebreaker, then ALL votes from ALL previous rounds are tallied and whoever has the most prior votes is eliminated. That’s the way it’s done on the real show, that’s the way it’s done here. If there is a complete tie with prior votes (Murphy’s Law), then I'll have a sudden-death trivia question ready. The first person who answers it correctly gets to break the tie. The odds of that happening are slim, but you never know, and it's good to be prepared.

The tie-breaker question will be asked one hour after results are in, if there is need for it. The exception is the last round. If the tie-breaker does not resolve the last round, then the tie will be allowed to stand.

============================

The game is over, and the winner is...

AFTER HOURS!!!

Songs eliminated:
    Same Girl 09/26
    I'm Getting Old Before My Time - 09/28
    My Buddy - 09/30
    Caroline, No - 10/02
    The Good Life - 10/04
    It's Too Soon To Know - 10/06
    Worried Mind - 10/08
    Here's to Life - 10/10
    I Wanna Be Around - 10/12
    Route 66 - 10/14
    For Sentimental Reasons - 10/16
    The Look of Love - 10/18
    The Shadow of Your Smile - 10/20

If you don't have it, you can get it from Glenn's official store and online retailers like Amazon and iTunes - or you can try your local CD store!

GAME OVER!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

Default Re: "After Hours" Survivor

Right! Its nearly bed time (I stayed up for this). This is gonna be a very hard survivor to do because of the consistently high standard of all the songs Glenn has presented in After Hours. I have spent the day listing, and then relisting the songs from 1 to 14. And also listening to the CD. My top 4 will not change but there are quite a few that I just cannot separate.

Anyway by a whisker the first song that I would vote off is 'Worried Mind'. Its not that I don't like it, but I just don't feel it sends off the same vibe as the other songs and doesn't fit as well into the 'After Hours' theme. Its a brilliant song, and I loved watching Glenn sing it in LA, but IMHO it just doesn't evoke the husky sultry 'After Hours' nostalgia and romance that the other songs do.
    Last edited by Glennsallnighter; 09-24-2012 at 08:07 PM. Reason: spelling error
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

Of course, Glenn sounds magnificent on all of these songs. In these early rounds, I'm voting on the strength of the song, and not his vocal delivery.

With that disclaimer, my vote for this first round goes to I'm Getting Old Before My Time.

The tune is pleasant and I like the instrumentation, especially the horns. Glenn sounds great.

However, as I mentioned in another thread, I tend to analyze those lyrics and it affects whether or not I like the song. In this case, the protagonist of the song comes off really poorly! He sticks around for 10 years getting played and obviously intends to hang around as long as it takes, which is not all that great in itself, but then he's begging a girl to buy him a cheap engagement ring!

While I appreciate that Glenn should be commended for being unafraid to toy with the stereotypical male/female roles by singing such lyrics, the concept takes some getting used to. Truth be told, I wouldn't be in a hurry to marry a guy who was too cheap to buy me an engagement ring either! You've had 10 years, man, put aside a little a month and spring for it.

I'm not saying I dislike the song - for instance, I really like how he sings "You wouldn't say 'yes' and you wouldn't say 'no'" as well as the way he ties it up. As he does elsewhere, he really brings this one home at the end when he sings in that clear, emotive voice "And I'll... belong.... to... you!"

Still, it's my least fave of the bunch.

Stuck on the Border

I completely agree with you that WM doesn't fit into the vibe of the album, though as you say it was great to see him sing it. It was going to be the song I voted off second, but at the moment I have to stick with what is still my least favourite track - My Buddy - although I like it more & more. I just don't like the way he repeats the words 'my buddy' at the end.

Yeah, I agree, FP. I almost voted for that one myself.

But Worried Mind - I love that one! It's so catchy! I'm glad he does it live, although I understand why it was a bonus track because it is a big out of alignment with the other songs.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    Of course, Glenn sounds magnificent on all of these songs. In these early rounds, I'm voting on the strength of the song, and not his vocal delivery.

With that disclaimer, my vote for this first round goes to I'm Getting Old Before My Time.

The tune is pleasant and I like the instrumentation, especially the horns. Glenn sounds great.

However, as I mentioned in another thread, I tend to analyze those lyrics and it affects whether or not I like the song. In this case, the protagonist of the song comes off really poorly! He sticks around for 10 years getting played and obviously intends to hang around as long as it takes, which is not all that great in itself, but then he's begging a girl to buy him a cheap engagement ring!

While I appreciate that Glenn should be commended for being unafraid to toy with the stereotypical male/female roles by singing such lyrics, the concept takes some getting used to. Truth be told, I wouldn't be in a hurry to marry a guy who was too cheap to buy me an engagement ring either! You've had 10 years, man, put aside a little a month and spring for it.

I'm not saying I dislike the song - for instance, I really like how he sings "You wouldn't say 'yes' and you wouldn't say 'no'" as well as the way he ties it up. As he does elsewhere, he really brings this one home at the end when he sings in that clear, emotive voice "And I'll... belong.... to... you!"

Still, it's my least fave of the bunch.
    What you say here is how I thought about it when I first heard it but it has grown on me to a spectacular extent. It will still be near the first I wish voted off, though.

Stuck on the Border Tiffanny Twisted's Avatar

same girl

I vote for Same Girl.

Open up your eyes take the devil from your mind

Stuck on the Border

Oh no.....I adore Same Girl. It is in my top 3 or 4. It will remain my guilty pleasure, I suppose.

"Same Girl" is my third-to-least favorite because the concept is so messed up.

I know there is a lot of love for Randy Newman as a songwriter and Glenn believes him to be one of the finest songwriters of his generation. I, however, am less impressed. The only song I knew by him for a long time was "I Love LA", which was fun but not exactly epic. I heard "Have Pity on the Working Man" after buying the Forrest Gump soundtrack and I liked it a lot, but it didn't blow me away with its brilliance or anything. I bought Good Old Boys and Little Criminals back in 2005 just because Glenn was on them and I liked them alright, but again, I wasn't blown away - for every terrific piece like "Baltimore," there was a stinker like "Rednecks." Then I bought Faust to hear Don Henley's part, and I found it horrific. Goethe, Marlowe and Milton must have been turning over in their graves at that overwrought, offensive, self-indulgent mess. Faust was so bad that it completely ruined Newman for me.

I hate to criticize anyone Glenn thinks so highly of, but I'm being frank.

Still, "Same Girl" has a wonderfully aching vocal by Glenn that actually makes you feel for a pimp. That's an achievement.