Page 14 of 36 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516171824 ... LastLast

Thread: "After Hours" Survivor

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

Default Re: "After Hours" Survivor

Worried Mind, once again.
    He sings it high, he plays it low

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    I think it's interesting that Worried Mind, the song which sounds the most like people 'expected' Glenn to sound, is so popular. I like it, but not nearly as much as many people seem to, apparently. The whole point of the album is that he sounds so different on most of the tracks.
    Well, only speaking for myself, one of the reasons I like Worried Mind is actually the opposite - it's the only song that sounds different from all the others on the album in terms of style. That makes it a nice change of pace.

It's Too Soon To Know is a great performance, which aches with uncertainty, especially the 'I won't die - I'll live on' part, whereas Worried Mind is just 'well, she left me & I'm upset'. It is good, but it isn't that good.
    That's my fave part of It's Too Soon to Know as well. It's interesting you find that line especially uncertain; to me, it's the least uncertain. He knows he'll be OK no matter what. It's a great sentiment and his vocal on that part is fantastic.

However, Worried Mind has a good melody and well-done instrumentation like the piano solo. It sticks in my mind more and has a bit more interesting construction. "It's Too Soon to Know" gets repetitive, like a lot of these older songs do - they kind of spend their ideas in two verses and a chorus - maybe a bridge if you're lucky - then go back and repeat it all.

I enjoy Worried Mind not because it was what I "expected." As I had never heard the song before and Glenn is not exactly known for country solo material, I was quite surprised by it being on the album even as a bonus track. I enjoy Worried Mind because it is a good song.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Border Rebel

I vote for It's Too Soon to Know.

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Ok, I've listened to both of these songs multiple times and I really like both of them. The only thing I can say is I think Worried Mind is too country sounding to even belong on this album. The steel guitar and the piano bit....I really can't imagine why he put it on it. It just doesn't fit with the rest of the songs at all. Jmo. Does anyone else think this?

Therefore, I vote for Worried Mind. I really like it and I'm glad it's on there, but it sure seems out of place to me now that I've really thought about it!

ETA: Glenn can do country, I wonder if he ever will? He would do well! Maybe he doesn't care to go that direction.
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Brooke View Post
    Ok, I've listened to both of these songs multiple times and I really like both of them. The only thing I can say is I think Worried Mind is too country sounding to even belong on this album. The steel guitar and the piano bit....I really can't imagine why he put it on it. It just doesn't fit with the rest of the songs at all. Jmo. Does anyone else think this?

Therefore, I vote for Worried Mind. I really like it and I'm glad it's on there, but it sure seems out of place to me now that I've really thought about it!

ETA: Glenn can do country, I wonder if he ever will? He would do well! Maybe he doesn't care to go that direction.
    That's exactly what I was trying to say, but we have Soda saying that she likes it just FOR that reason; that it doesn't fit with the other songs.

And for the record I don't find It's Too Soon To Know repetitive because I like the way he keeps dwelling on the situation. The only part I'm not sure about is the end which is a bit abrupt.

When I said the 'I won't die; I'll live on' part was uncertain I don't really know what I meant. He's weighing up his options. I honestly think this song is the 'sleeper' of the album; but I seem to be in the minority with many of my opinions on these songs.

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

Its down to preference really in terms of the songs' placements on the CD! I have nothing against 'Worried Mind' in any way, and I like the song very much, but have simply felt it 'out of place' in relation to the other songs on the CD. But that is the very essence of its appeal to Soda and others!

I just think its too 'country' for the CD, and don't get me wrong - I LIKE country a lot! But this is a more classy, piano-bar type CD. I cannot see Glenn playing WM in a club like that no more than I could see him perform something like 'Sentimental Reasons' at a country festival - KWIM? - Although if I ever get to see him again I would happily watch him sing whatever he likes!

Anyway, I guess that I'm just making a justification for voting off once again 'Worried Mind' this round.
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

Stuck on the Border Henley Honey's Avatar

Worried Mind

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

I think it's interesting that Worried Mind, the song which sounds the most like people 'expected' Glenn to sound, is so popular. I like it, but not nearly as much as many people seem to, apparently. The whole point of the album is that he sounds so different on most of the tracks.
    Well - maybe people like the song because they like the way 'expected' Glenn sounds. Speaking for myself, the music I fell in love with when I became an Eagles fan 40 years ago works just fine for me. I think it may be more about the style of music as opposed to the way Glenn sounds. As numerous folks have said, this style of music just isn't their 'thing'. I don't have any real need for him to totally change his style. I will take more of the same anytime.

It's Too Soon To Know is a great performance, which aches with uncertainty, especially the 'I won't die - I'll live on' part, whereas Worried Mind is just 'well, she left me & I'm upset'. It is good, but it isn't that good.
    FP, I obviously, disagree with your assessment here about Worried Mind. Like Soda, for me, it is one of the standouts on the album partly because it differs from the other songs stylistically. As I said before, some of just simply prefer more variety when listening to an album. And as has already been said, the instrumentation is superb. I already raved about the piano solo, but the fiddle and steel guitar also sound fantastic to these ears.

In any event, it seems the voters here are definitely split in how they feel about the song, and this round is going to be another close one. There are still several folks who haven't voted yet. I'll go ahead and cast my vote now since my mind is definitely made up here ...

I cast my vote for It's Too Soon to Know.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

It's Too Soon To Know

I vote for It's Too Soon to Know.

Open up your eyes take the devil from your mind