Page 2 of 36 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: "After Hours" Survivor

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: "After Hours" Survivor

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    "Same Girl" is my third-to-least favorite because the concept is so messed up. I know there is a lot of love for Randy Newman as a songwriter and Glenn believes him to be one of the finest songwriters of his generation. I, however, am less impressed. The only song I knew by him for a long time was "I Love LA", which was fun but not exactly epic. I heard "Have Pity on the Working Man" after buying the Forrest Gump soundtrack and I liked it a lot, but it didn't blow me away with its brilliance or anything. I bought Good Old Boys and Little Criminals back in 2005 just because Glenn was on them and I liked them alright, but again, I wasn't blown away - for every terrific piece like "Baltimore," there was a stinker like "Rednecks." Then I bought Faust to hear Don Henley's part, and I found it horrific. Goethe, Marlowe and Milton must have been turning over in their graves at that overwrought, offensive, self-indulgent mess. Faust was so bad that it completely ruined Newman for me.

Still, "Same Girl" has a wonderfully aching vocal by Glenn that actually makes you feel for a pimp. That's an achievement.
    I don't like Faust either, but it is an aberration in Newman's career. However, I am sorry that you think Rednecks is a 'stinker' (it is not just sending up the South's attitudes to black people; it is sending up the patronising of black people in the North) and that you have not heard wonderful albums like Trouble In Paradise (which contains Same Girl), Land Of Dreams, Bad Love & Harps & Angels.

I guess people don't like the lyrics of Same Girl and I cannot help them.
    Last edited by Freypower; 09-24-2012 at 11:43 PM.

Route 66

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Wow - We are pretty much all over the place already, which frankly doesn't surprise me. There are about 6 or 7 songs on the album that I rate pretty much about the same caliber and I can't really say I like one any more than the other, so this will be difficult for me for that reason. One of my raps on the album is that I think there needs to be more variety - after listening a while the songs kinda all sound the same to me even with Glenn's superb vocal delivery. I will definitely have to wait to see how this round plays out before I vote. I will say that, like Soda, Worried Mind is one of my very favorite songs on the album mainly because it does stand out from many of the other songs.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    However, I am sorry that you think Rednecks is a 'stinker' (it is not just sending up the South's attitudes to black people; it is sending up the patronising of black people in the North)
    I get that, but any song that tosses around the n-word that many times is not one that I can enjoy. I found myself cringing throughout. The melody is nothing to write home about, either. JMHO.

and that you have not heard wonderful albums like Trouble In Paradise (which contains Same Girl), Land Of Dreams, Bad Love & Harps & Angels.
    I see what you mean. It may not be fair for me to judge his canon based on three albums. Still, after Faust, I swore I'd never buy another Newman album! Perhaps I should revisit that. Glenn sure praises him to the skies.

I guess people don't like the lyrics of Same Girl and I cannot help them.
    Nah, there's nothing to be done about that.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Although I will admit I'm not a huge aficionado of this album or know it extremely well, I figure I'll play along. I do know what my favorite is and least favorite and I'll start from there.

Same Girl
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

Let me clarify, I do not I'm any way think WM is a BAD song. Very little separated it from the few at the lower end of the list. If anything it's the most 'Eagley' sounding of all the songs on AH. Just something had to go and to me it didn't seem to fit in as well.
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

I'm having a very difficult time choosing a song here & everyone's comments aren't making it any easier ! I just adore this album & play it continuously! The songs never start sounding the same to me, although I admit that I can see that they may become that way by some. I think Glenn's voice is absolutely beautiful on this album (not that I don't think that his voice is great on every song he sings, but "beautiful" is not the word that I think applies to all his vocals, eg. Outlaw Man, Chug All Night).

I'll just have to go listen some more - and hope that I don't forget to come back & vote, LOL!

I'm just watching this game, as I don't feel I'm too familiar with it to judge it. So far, some really interesting comments!!

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

I'm not ready to vote yet either. Hopefully, I will get time to listen some more. Even though it's not my favorite kind of music, Glenn does just such a wonderful job on it, I do enjoy listening to it.

I think I know what my top three are, but the rest are really hard to decide on. All of your comments are great and will help me to decide, so carry on!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

My vote is "I'm getting old before my time".....This is not gonna be easy..