Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Celebration of Road To Forever

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

Default Celebration of Road To Forever

I need to preface this with saying I had just got done listening to most of TobyMac’s new album, which has a very hiphop flavor, so transitioning to this took a few songs and I had to go back and start over. While I do like TobyMac, this album is far more my style. Overall, I liked it alot. As you can see, I mention an 80’s sound frequently and I mean that as a very good thing.

Fall From the Grace of Love – Suits his voice, a kind of music I like, somewhere between 80’s pop and today’s country. Nice harmonies. A good sing-along song.

Girls in Black – More of a rock sound, kind of predictable. Very much an 80’s rock sound.

Wash Away – Talks about moving on from yesterday. Good lyrics with a nice rock track, nice combination of electric and acoustic guitar. Again, has an 80’s rock/pop sound. The ‘wash aways’ just before the three minute mark aren’t doing it for me, and seem to be synth-enhanced. The rest of the song is pretty good.

I Believe In You – Nice rock ballad. More nice harmonies. Again, an 80’s rock ballad sound. I like the lyrics. He has the voice for it. Another good sing-along song.

You Don’t Have Me – Another predictable rock track (not necessarily a bad thing). Almost an 80’s Hair band sound. Other than that, no comment.

Money – ‘Never easy come, just always easy go’. You got that right! Definitely lyrics most people can relate to. Nice guitar.

Someday – Not as good of a match for his voice, but he still does a good job with it. I can’t decide what I think of this song. I concentrated on the lyrics a lot. Lyrics a person can relate to, but on the other hand, it seems like one of those situations where sitting around and waiting for ‘someday’ is a waste of time and a person just needs to move on. (Yes, I did learn that the hard way).

Heal Me – I like the percussion. Song has some soul to it and some sort of tribal thing going on. Nice guitar, too. A very different song and not at all predictable. I read a review that said this was the best song on the album, but I prefer FFTGOL. This one had a lot of work put into it, though, and it shows.

Over You – Heartfelt is the word that comes to mind. He just kinda lays it right out there. There were moments where I thought I might cry. If you have anyone in your life that you aren’t over yet and should be, have a tissue handy. It’s a nice acoustic number. I would like to hear this one live.

Road To Forever – Nice harmonies. Great acoustic beginning, then some serious guitars and drums kick in. Definitely hard rock and again with an 80’s flavor.

Life’s Lullaby – I like hearing a great guitar player show off on acoustic. I guess growing up listening to Roy Clark will do that. It’s an interesting song. At first I wondered at his odd breathing ‘break’ in the middle of the word ‘lullaby’, but after a while I could see it was very intentional. It was hard to really follow the lyrics because I was concentrating on the guitar.

Give My Life – Some serious rock and roll and right after the above song, a bit of an eye-opener. Interesting lyrics, even if they are repetitive. Who you might be giving your life to as you sing along is open to your own interpretation. I can see myself singing this song in the shower a lot. Don’t worry, my neighbors are far away

She Runs Free (Bonus Track) – Another perfect 80’s rock sound.
    Last edited by VAisForEagleLovers; 10-18-2012 at 05:17 PM.
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

Default Re: Celebration of Road To Forever

Nice review!

My fav is Girls In Black as I'm a classic rock purist and love that hard rock guitar sound.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Quote Originally Posted by WalshFan88 View Post
    Nice review!

My fav is Girls In Black as I'm a classic rock purist and love that hard rock guitar sound.
    Oh, and you're a guy!!!!
    VK

Quote Originally Posted by VAisForEagleLovers View Post
    Oh, and you're a guy!!!!
    LOL!
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Thanks for starting this thread, VA. We must be reading each other's minds - I had planned on starting this tonight myself, so glad you did it.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Looking forward to reading your thoughts on it, Dreamer!
    VK

Default Re: Press and Discussion about Felder's New Album "Road to Forever"

I'm getting back on topic & now that I've had a chance to really listen to this album. I'm going to give my review, song by song!

FALL FROM THE GRACE OF LOVE: I love the lyrics to this song & the great harmonies. I do believe I hear Graham Nash on this song. It's catchy too.

GIRLS IN BLACK; There is a harder rock guitar on this that I love & this is more like what I was expecting from him. Love his gritty voice on this too.
    Nice guitar solo

WASH AWAY; Another favorite on the album with great harmonies Also nice guitar work here

I BELIEVE IN YOU; Love the softer side of him on this one

YOU DON"T HAVE ME; Whoever this song may be about, it doesn't really bother me, It's s little on the dark side, but OK

MONEY; This isn't one of my favorites but ok, some nice guitar riffs

SOMEDAY; I like Felder's vocal on this one

HEAL ME; Another softer song with nice lyrics& some nice guitar work, I like the ending with the Jamaican vibe

OVER YOU; Another personal song Heartfelt with a nice vocal. Shows a higher range in his voice here

ROAD TO FOREVER; Reminds me of a CSN type of song. I like it a lot

LIFE'S LULLABY; Another mellow song. Love his soft voice on this sweet song

GIVE ME LIFE; Love this one. I like the mix of the softer vocal with some harder edge guitar.

Overall, the album is a lot more mellow than what I thought it would be. favorite songs are Fall From Grace, Girls In Black, & Wash Away.

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

I've finally had a chance to listen and just a couple points I wish to make.

I see that Dreamer mentioned this already but I'd like to add that I also was expecting it to be a little more rock oriented for some reason. Was a bit disappointed that it wasn't.

As for favorite song(s), one stands out for me, and that's Wash Away. Had I not already known who was harmonizing on it with Don, it wouldn't have taken me but a few seconds to figure it out. Tommy's voice is so distinctive. Really like it!!
    He sings it high, he plays it low

VA, One question?? I saw that you mentioned that many of the songs seemed to have a vibe from the 80's. I really don't see that. I think Felder's songs are more modern & kind of mellow. I see the 80's as the "Hair band rock" & the "pop" era. I'm not really feeling that from Don's album. Just curious as to why you think it has an 80's sound?

If anything it's more of a throwback to the mellow harmonies of the 70's mixed in with a bit of his rock guitar work, but I do think he could have used more rock guitar & less of that mellow harmony sound....JMHO

TK, I guess it's all subjective, but I guess I delineate it the same way SiriusXM does. Maybe because I've been a subscriber for seven years! But they have the 80's station which plays it all. Hair Nation which plays the hair band rock sound. Then there's Classic Rewind, which is mostly 80's rock. Artists I'm thinking of are Don Henley (of course!), Tom Petty, Aerosmith, Cars, Police, Journey, Genesis, Mellencamp, AC/CD, Pat Benetar, Boston, Van Halen, Bob Seger, Springsteen, Cheap Trick, you get the idea.

The Hair Rock bands, to me, are more like Bon Jovi, Ratt, Def Leppard, Guns N' Roses, Europe, etc.
    VK