View Poll Results: Which is your favorite way to listen to music?

Voters
27. You may not vote on this poll
  • I like the organized format of albums and playlists. I like to know what song is coming next.

13 48.15%
  • The shuffle feature on my audio device. I like the element of surprise, but from songs I've chosen.

13 48.15%
  • The randomness od radio, baby! I want to be surprised!

1 3.70%
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What is your favorite way to listen to music?

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

Default Re: What is your favorite way to listen to music?

I can only think of a handful of albums I will listen to the whole album-- The Long Run, The Cars Heartbeat City, Van Halen's Fair Warning and the whole Zeppelin discography. So I have a habit of not loading certain songs on my ipod when loading cds.

As far as record albums and skipping songs--- hubby and I bought a laser turntable in the 80s that scanned the whole album side and then you could pick what track you wanted and it would go directly to that track. You can even program it to play them in whatever order you wish. I love this turntable and we still use it!
    He sings it high, he plays it low

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Quote Originally Posted by Ive always been a dreamer View Post
    Another reason I like CDs is when you have a fantastic concept album, such as Hotel California, Desperado, or Strange Weather it is especially satisfying to listen to the entire album from start to finish, IMHO.
    I still like listen to entire albums on the ipod and I usually listen to the songs in the order they are on the album. (cd!) I guess that's because I came from the old days of listening to vinyls. Of course, I have playlists too, but when I'm in the mood for a certain album, then I listen to the whole thing. (on the ipod, dreamer!)

Now my husband likes to pick his songs. He rarely listens to a whole album. It drives me crazy that he won't listen to them and I think he misses out on a lot of good music. He says there is too much filler. I disagree and like the deep tracks. It's an argument we've come to agree to disagree on. lol
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Stuck on the Border

The last time I listened to an album in sequence on the iPod was After Hours, in LA. In the car, as I say, I do listen to them in sequence (currently Expando) but even albums like Dark Side Of The Moon or Sgt Pepper or Desperado, it doesn't bother me whether they're in sequence or not.

I'm like TK. I hardly listen to an album in its entirety unless it's new. After I've learned the songs I start shuffling!

Here's an exception: Jackson Browne's For Everyman is a favorite album of mine because some of the songs flow together without a break. For example, Take It Easy, the opener, flows right into Our Lady of the Well and Sing My Songs to Me flows right into For Everyman, the closer. I really enjoy that on that particular album.
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

I tend to listen to the radio in the mornings on my way to work, while on the way home 'After Hours' is the order of the day most days. I don't really mnd whether its on 'shuffle' or not. Sometimes, depending on my mood I also put on the 'repeat' button. Particularly on the title track. Its the perfect antidote to a busy stressful day!
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

it's funny....I have never used the shuffle on my iPod....never think of it I guess

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

As long as I pick the artist I like the element of surprise by using shuffle. Once in a great while I will shuffle everything-then it's really a surprise!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Stuck on the Border Outlawman13's Avatar

I have random on the songs (in my ipod) so I pick an artist, and listen to it like that. I love not knowing what song comes up next, but I listen to the whole, entire list.

You came along and changed my life Glenn!!

Stuck on the Border

The only artists I have played the entire catalogue on the iPod (always on shuffle) are the Beatles, Led Zeppelin, Dire Straits, Mark Knopfler, the Eagles & Glenn. I play the Eagles catalogue around Don's birthday & Glenn's catalogue on his birthday. I suppose I should do the Rolling Stones & Elton John. I have a lot of Van Morrison but if I tried to play all his stuff I'd get tired of it. Also the artists I mention, I have their entire catalogues, whereas the others I don't.

This is a bit tangential, but it's about music formats, so here goes!

My father bought me a new turntable when he and my mom were visiting. It allows you to rip the LPs directly to CD instead of going through the computer as I'd been doing before.

At first I was excited, but then I started actually playing my records... and I had an EXTREMELY frustrating time. Inevitably, no matter how well I'd taken care of and stored an LP, it had skips and scratches. I mean EVERY SINGLE RECORD. Indeed, almost every SONG!

Meanwhile, I have CDs from 1988 that play perfectly, as do audio files I ripped or downloaded in 1999.

So, other than gazing at the nice big artwork, I found myself having a very unpleasant listening experience. "SnapCracklePopSKIPSnapCracklePop." Me no likee. Thank goodness for CDs and audio files!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten