Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Question on "Lyin' Eyes"

Border Rebel

Question Question on "Lyin' Eyes"

Hi there!

I'm a newbie here, although I've been lurking for a bit, and I've been an Eagles fan for a LONG time! It's great to come here and see so many fans devoted to my favorite boys.

This afternoon I've been getting some cleaning done and listening to the Farewell I DVD. Whenever I hear "Lyin' Eyes", it reminds me of a comment I heard (or read) Don Henley say. It was something to the effect that Lyin' Eyes was Glenn's baby, and he thinks that he (Don) wrote one verse of it, and Glenn wrote the other two verses and the chorus.

This always makes me wonder what verse he wrote. I have my idea, although there is one line in there that sounds very Glenn to me. LOL.

So, I thought I'd open it up to the experts and see if anyone else has an opinion.

Which verse do you think Don wrote - 1, 2, or 3?

Stuck on the Border Tiffanny Twisted's Avatar

Default Re: Question on "Lyin' Eyes"

Hi,
    I'm tiffany twisted. welcome to the border. I will defer to soda on the answer to your question. I just wanted to say greetings and enjoy your time here on the border.

tt

Welcome, Mary! I don't recall hearing an interview like the one you mentioned. It surprises me to think of them writing it like that, but who knows!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Welcome MC! That is the book I would like them to write. I want to know about each song and how and why it was written (similar to what Lennon and McCartney did seperately).
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

Stuck on the Border

Don is quoted in the Complete Greatest Hits thus:

'Glenn's pretty much responsible for that track & for the title, the choruses. I helped out with the verses & perhaps with the melody. It's really Glenn's baby'.

He is not saying here that he wrote an entire verse. I have always thought that they collaborated on it, as they did with Get Over It & that they wrote most of the lyrics together. I would be interested to know which particular line you believe to be Glenn's.

Quote Originally Posted by Prettymaid View Post
    Welcome MC! That is the book I would like them to write. I want to know about each song and how and why it was written (similar to what Lennon and McCartney did seperately).
    that would be fascinating right?

Welcome to the border Mary...hope you enjoy your time here!

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

Welcome, Mary. I have no idea what the answer to your question is, but I'm glad you joined!
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

Stuck on the Border

There are people who feel that they can recognize Don's lyric writing anywhere, so it'd be interesting to hear their opinions on Lyin' Eyes - which lines could be Don's. This may sound like I'm being sarcastic, but I'm not. I'd really like to hear what they have to say.

Quote Originally Posted by chaim View Post
    There are people who feel that they can recognize Don's lyric writing anywhere, so it'd be interesting to hear their opinions on Lyin' Eyes - which lines could be Don's. This may sound like I'm being sarcastic, but I'm not. I'd really like to hear what they have to say.
    Since I'm sure I'm one of the ones being referred to in this post, I'm going to say this. I'm not really sure that Don wrote a verse but if I had to go by my WAG, I'd say this:

On the other side of town a boy is waiting
    with fiery eyes and dreams no one could steal
    She drives on through the night anticipating
    'Cause he makes her feel the way she used to feel
    I've always felt Henley had a great way of turning lyrics into pictures when he sings and really making it like a movie playing or a picture collage where you really can "see" what he's talking about and not just assume.

LE doesn't give me that kind of vibe like I get from HC or LITFL, TBH, but if there is any verse that does, it's that quoted one above.

I think he's a very "visual" lyricist. Where as to me Glenn is much better at singing/writing "feel good" songs (TIE, AG, PEF) or songs with a thought out story (LE, TS, NKIT) and more detail. Don's come out like movie scripts or something (LITFL for sure, even HC). Like taking you on a visual journey. Hard to explain - easy to see, for me at least. JMO. Maybe its more the way he sings it than writing, IDK.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Stuck on the Border

I find this assumption that Don's writing is 'visual' and Glenn's 'not visual' incredibly simplistic and derogatory to Glenn.

We do not know for certain who wrote which parts of this song. Glenn sings most of it so I have always thought he wrote most of it. The idea that because you get a more 'visual' vibe from the verse you quoted, that means you think it is more likely that Don wrote it, I repeat, I find far too simplistic (despite your statement that you're not sure). What about 'she gets up & pours herself a strong one...' ? That verse is 'visual' too.

To say Glenn's songs are not 'visual' - how many examples do you want? Tequila Sunrise, It's Your World Now, Smuggler's Blues, You Belong To The City, River Of Dreams, Long Hot Summer, After Hours. And you can be just as 'visual' in evoking feelings in a song like You Are Not Alone as you can writing lyrics which play like a 'movie script'. Not all songs have to 'tell a story'. In any case you then say he writes songs which have 'more detail' and a 'thought out story' which appears to contradict your statement that his songs aren't 'visual'.

All of this comes down to personal preference. They are both great songwriters. You prefer both Don's singing & writing because you find them more evocative, which is fair enough, but I have to tell you that Glenn's singing & his songs take me on just the same visual journey that Don's songs take you.
    Last edited by Freypower; 11-11-2012 at 02:22 AM.