Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Question on "Lyin' Eyes"

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Question on "Lyin' Eyes"

Quote Originally Posted by WalshFan88 View Post
    Since I'm sure I'm one of the ones being referred to in this post, I'm going to say this. I'm not really sure that Don wrote a verse but if I had to go by my WAG, I'd say this:

I've always felt Henley had a great way of turning lyrics into pictures when he sings and really making it like a movie playing or a picture collage where you really can "see" what he's talking about and not just assume.

LE doesn't give me that kind of vibe like I get from HC or LITFL, TBH, but if there is any verse that does, it's that quoted one above.

I think he's a very "visual" lyricist. Where as to me Glenn is much better at singing/writing "feel good" songs (TIE, AG, PEF) or songs with a thought out story (LE, TS, NKIT) and more detail. Don's come out like movie scripts or something (LITFL for sure, even HC). Like taking you on a visual journey. Hard to explain - easy to see, for me at least. JMO. Maybe its more the way he sings it than writing, IDK.
    Thanks!
    By the way, I wasn't thinking of you or any one person. I don't visit this forum often, so I honestly didn't remember who it was that spoke about recognizing Don's lyric writing. Turned out to be you! Anyway, I know that you don't actually know which lyrics are Don's, but I was wondering if there are certain lyrics in Lyin' Eyes that make you "see things" like Don's lyrics tend to make you do.
    Again, thanks for your reply.
    Last edited by chaim; 11-11-2012 at 07:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    I find this assumption that Don's writing is 'visual' and Glenn's 'not visual' incredibly simplistic and derogatory to Glenn.

We do not know for certain who wrote which parts of this song. Glenn sings most of it so I have always thought he wrote most of it. The idea that because you get a more 'visual' vibe from the verse you quoted, that means you think it is more likely that Don wrote it, I repeat, I find far too simplistic (despite your statement that you're not sure). What about 'she gets up & pours herself a strong one...' ? That verse is 'visual' too.

To say Glenn's songs are not 'visual' - how many examples do you want? Tequila Sunrise, It's Your World Now, Smuggler's Blues, You Belong To The City, River Of Dreams, Long Hot Summer, After Hours. And you can be just as 'visual' in evoking feelings in a song like You Are Not Alone as you can writing lyrics which play like a 'movie script'. Not all songs have to 'tell a story'. In any case you then say he writes songs which have 'more detail' and a 'thought out story' which appears to contradict your statement that his songs aren't 'visual'.

All of this comes down to personal preference. They are both great songwriters. You prefer both Don's singing & writing because you find them more evocative, which is fair enough, but I have to tell you that Glenn's singing & his songs take me on just the same visual journey that Don's songs take you.
    See, I knew when I answered Chaim I'd likely be biting myself in the @ss and regretting it later because I knew you'd be upset even though I wasn't slamming Glenn in the slightest, just making a comparison of differences. I guess I'll know not to do so in the future. I feel like I have to tiptoe around you when I post anymore, for fear that you will take anything I post as a slam against Glenn.

In this case it was a simple comparison between their songs. Not good vs bad, but rather the differences and what makes them unique to me and what I clearly see. FWIW, I like them both equally as songwriters.
    Last edited by WalshFan88; 11-11-2012 at 06:17 AM.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Austin, please continue giving your opinions here on the board. It does seem to me that lately when you've posted your thoughts on either this issue or the Felder issue, it takes us on a merry-go-round of posts between you and FP. I, for one, can understand and appreciate both of your opinions, but after awhile it's clear that you both have to agree to disagree.

FP, I think that WF is growing battle weary with you, and maybe you need to lighten up on topics where you know he's just giving his opinion.
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Prettymaid View Post
    Austin, please continue giving your opinions here on the board. It does seem to me that lately when you've posted your thoughts on either this issue or the Felder issue, it takes us on a merry-go-round of posts between you and FP. I, for one, can understand and appreciate both of your opinions, but after awhile it's clear that you both have to agree to disagree.

FP, I think that WF is growing battle weary with you, and maybe you need to lighten up on topics where you know he's just giving his opinion.

I'm feeling awkward, because it feels like I started something here, although, like I said in my initial post, it certainly wasn't my intention. I was genuinely interested in hearing the opinion of those who tend to experience Don's lyrics in a certain way.

Quote Originally Posted by chaim View Post

I'm feeling awkward, because it feels like I started something here, although, like I said in my initial post, it certainly wasn't my intention. I was genuinely interested in hearing the opinion of those who tend to experience Don's lyrics in a certain way.
    Definitely don't feel awkward. It's not your fault! I was happy to answer your question and give my guess and thoughts on the song and that's all it was. Although I wasn't sure at first if you were being sarcastic or not, LOL. It's hard for me to tell through text sometimes.

Music is a universal language, but oh so very subjective.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Quote Originally Posted by Prettymaid View Post
    It does seem to me that lately when you've posted your thoughts on either this issue or the Felder issue, it takes us on a merry-go-round of posts between you and FP. I, for one, can understand and appreciate both of your opinions, but after awhile it's clear that you both have to agree to disagree.
    Thank you. That's all they are - simply my thoughts on what "I" personally hear, or in the case of DF, my feelings and opinion on his departure. In my post I was in no way slamming Glenn or even thinking of anything remote like that. I was just comparing what I hear when I listen to each of their songs. In the case of Felder, I do think he got a raw deal in general as I've said many times, but I still like Glenn as a singer, writer, and performer and enjoy his stuff too, as much as I do Henley.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

Honestly---I don't even know what to say to this thread!!!!! My first thought in reading all this was, "Wow--what a great impression we've just made on the new member that asked this question!" Sorry, Mary---conversations sometimes get heated around here because we are all so passionate about the Eagles. Please don't let this deter you from coming back and posting here.

NOW.....

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower
    I find this assumption that Don's writing is 'visual' and Glenn's 'not visual' incredibly simplistic and derogatory to Glenn.
    Where in the below quote from Austin did he say ANYTHING "derogatory" about Glenn? And for that matter---where do you get the impression that his assumption is "incredibly simplistic"?

Quote Originally Posted by WalshFan88
    el I've always felt Henley had a great way of turning lyrics into pictures when he sings and really making it like a movie playing or a picture collage where you really can "see" what he's talking about and not just assume.

LE doesn't give me that kind of vibe like I get from HC or LITFL, TBH, but if there is any verse that does, it's that quoted one above.

I think he's a very "visual" lyricist. Where as to me Glenn is much better at singing/writing "feel good" songs (TIE, AG, PEF) or songs with a thought out story (LE, TS, NKIT) and more detail. Don's come out like movie scripts or something (LITFL for sure, even HC). Like taking you on a visual journey. Hard to explain - easy to see, for me at least. JMO. Maybe its more the way he sings it than writing, IDK.
    To me, this post was very well stated and in fact, in the statement I have bolded, he was nothing but very complimentary to Glenn and even says he thinks Glenn is MUCH BETTER at singing those kind of songs.

I love you FP, I really, really do... but not everyone feels the same passion for Glenn as you do and have differing opinions on him. And I might as well add something I've been thinking for quite awhile and just haven't expressed... I feel that for some reason, because you love and respect Glenn so much, that you somehow feel that you have to defend him in every discussion we have. There's a lot of people on this board that I'm willing to bet have just as much passion, love and respect for Glenn as you and maybe some that have more but I don't see them almost angrily defending him every time someone says something about him they may not agree with.

Personally, I love the discussions between you and I and I love reading almost everyone's opinions here. There's a lot of times that I see opinions here and think to myself, "I get that!!!". But, like PM said, I feel some of us need to "lighten up".

Quote Originally Posted by WalshFan88
    See, I knew when I answered Chaim I'd likely be biting myself in the @ss and regretting it later because I knew you'd be upset even though I wasn't slamming Glenn in the slightest, just making a comparison of differences. I guess I'll know not to do so in the future. I feel like I have to tiptoe around you when I post anymore, for fear that you will take anything I post as a slam against Glenn.

In this case it was a simple comparison between their songs. Not good vs bad, but rather the differences and what makes them unique to me and what I clearly see. FWIW, I like them both equally as songwriters.
    BULL!!!!! You keep stating your opinions just like everyone on here!!! You and I don't always agree, but I respect your opinion and won't tell you you're wrong in stating them-as most of us here won't! In fact, I love your opinions because they make a hell of a lot of sense to me. I love and respect your opinions on ALL music, not just Eagles music, more than almost anyone else's on here. It's your passion and it shows! Like a discussion you and I were having the other day about the connection a guitarist has with their guitar--I GET THAT!!!! You can state things that I feel and can't seem to get my point across or put into words. The whole "visual lyrics" things is spot on in my opinion and I know exactly what you mean by Don's lyrics. He always makes me see pictures with his songs. KWIM?
    He sings it high, he plays it low

Quote Originally Posted by chaim View Post

Please, please, please--- don't feel awkward and don't let it deter you from posting here. We all value each others opinions and welcome questions and interaction from each other. It's just that some of us get quite passionate about our opinions.

Quote Originally Posted by TimothyBFan View Post
    BULL!!!!! You keep stating your opinions just like everyone on here!!! You and I don't always agree, but I respect your opinion and won't tell you you're wrong in stating them-as most of us here won't! In fact, I love your opinions because they make a hell of a lot of sense to me. I love and respect your opinions on ALL music, not just Eagles music, more than almost anyone else's on here. It's your passion and it shows! Like a discussion you and I were having the other day about the connection a guitarist has with their guitar--I GET THAT!!!! You can state things that I feel and can't seem to get my point across or put into words. The whole "visual lyrics" things is spot on in my opinion and I know exactly what you mean by Don's lyrics. He always makes me see pictures with his songs. KWIM?
    Honestly, I do think before I click post about if it will be taken as something it isn't - even though I do post (til now). I feel I have to respond when I'm told I'm being derogatory towards Glenn, then I do respond, hence the "merry go round" PM was talking about. But it does get a bit tiring having everything I say be taken as a slam against Glenn or being unfair to him, which is exactly what I meant by the "tiptoe" comment I will edit my words after I post them just to try to avoid it although it fails, LOL. I do post though as I feel I should be able to share them, but I do try to avoid it being taken wrong whenever possible. I really do have to overthink my own posts, even though I do respond. However I have decided to ignore it from now on and not respond as it doesn't get anywhere.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger

Quote Originally Posted by WalshFan88 View Post
    Honestly, I do think before I click post about if it will be taken as something it isn't - even though I do post (til now). I feel I have to respond when I'm told I'm being derogatory towards Glenn, then I do respond, hence the "merry go round" PM was talking about. But it does get a bit tiring having everything I say be taken as a slam against Glenn or being unfair to him, which is exactly what I meant by the "tiptoe" comment I will edit my words after I post them just to try to avoid it although it fails, LOL. I do post though as I feel I should be able to share them, but I do try to avoid it being taken wrong whenever possible. I really do have to overthink my own posts, even though I do respond. However I have decided to ignore it from now on and not respond as it doesn't get anywhere.
    I think most of us do stop and think before hitting that post button and I also think we should. I know I do myself, especially when responding to a "touchy" subject, read over it. For me, it's as much about my grammar, punctuation, spelling and capitalization as it is about what I say. It's hard to make a point if people can't understand it or even read it. KWIM?

I say carry on, just the way you do!! Why shouldn't you?