Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Hurricane Sandy

Stuck on the Border Henley Honey's Avatar

Default Hurricane Sandy

Here's a few pictures I took when I was in Breezy Point.

I took these two from my cousin Maggie's back deck. Her house was spared by the fire but was damaged by flood water.

This is the area where the 110 houses burned to the ground. FDNY trucks could not get through the massive flooding. I think it's a miracle no one died.

This is looking in the back door of my mother's house. Her tile is light beige under all that muck. Main floor is a total loss. Still waiting on verdict of structural viability. We found her bedroom furniture in the living room.

The house is still standing so we feel very fortunate. It'll be a long time until the communitity is habitable again.

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

Default Re: Hurricane Sandy

Wow... I helped clean houses after the last flood in Johnstown, PA and thought that was bad. I guess it's the difference between rising water and storm surge. Things weren't really out of place, just muddy and oily. The pictures of the fire area are very sobering...
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

WOW...I can't imagine where you even begin at your mom's house Joanie...How is your mom doing?...please tell your whole family I am thinking of them and praying for them in their recovery...so glad no one was physically hurt...

Stuck on the Border Henley Honey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by zeldabjr View Post
    WOW...I can't imagine where you even begin at your mom's house Joanie...How is your mom doing?...please tell your whole family I am thinking of them and praying for them in their recovery...so glad no one was physically hurt...

You start with a haz-mat suit, a sledgehammer and a great big dumpster. Anything that was in contact with the flood water has to go. Wood and tile floors, kitchen cabinets, doors, windows, appliances, heating and cooling system, etc. We'll have to take the main floor down to the studs and work our way out. Singularly, it's very doable. But when you look at the community as a whole it seems insurmountable right now. 2,800 homes and lives changed in a day -- and that's only this small community. It's the same story all along the Jersey coast, Staten Island, Long Island, etc. It's a freakin mess.

Stuck on the Border Tiffanny Twisted's Avatar

OMG JOanie,
    I am so sorry for all you are dealing with at this time.
    The pictures are very sobering as VA said and when you think about that this is times thousands in just a small area is is just numbing.
    Prayers still for you and your family. Please keep us posted.
    tt

Stuck on the Border

Good grief Joanie. I sympathise with your family & everyone else affected by this.

Wow. That area was hit the hardest, & mostly by that fire. It looks like a war zone. Joanie, I'm so sorry for your mom & the condition of the house. How is she holding up? We are all thinking of you & your family at this time.

Oh man. How terrible!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

And I complain when I have to do regular house cleaning!
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

OMG Joanie - I literally had tears running down my face as I looked at the devastation in those pictures. It will undoubably take a long time to rebuild, but I know the human spirit will prevail and all will eventually be well again. My thoughts are with you and everyone affected by this awful storm.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016